Earthshine

barney_rebel

my dad heard me listening to it and said "i like how the guitar seems to soar" ...i agree, its a great solo, and a great song overall..especially live biggrin.gif

Earthshine is such a powerful song. It lifts me.

Excellent song. I don't have very much criticism of it. I love the beat and Geddy's bass line. Super song. One of the best off VT, along with Freeze. biggrin.gif

This song did absolutely nothing for me when I first heard it. All I could do is think of how Geddy sounded absolutely shreaky through the verses.

It grew on me as I listened to it more and more. What grabbed me first was Alex's guitar work -- as most people have commented on was the wailing, sobbing, soaring, weeping, spooky sound that begins in the 2nd chorus. It's amazing.

Then I saw the VT show and they played it live. I had no idea how great this song would truly sound when played live. It has since been a favorite of mine from RIR, R30, and VT. I hope they continue to play it on future shows. It's one of the band's best, imo. I laugh on how this song grew on me from my not really liking it much at first.

My absolute favorite moment in the song (and the cameras captured it for RIR) is Neil's drum fill in the bridge that ends the first chorus, just before the 2nd verse. That first fill which is ended by a triple POUNDING on the floor tom is unf*ckingbelievable. And I mean unf*ckingbelievable!!! Followed by a fill which begins the same, but ends on a single stroke roll down the toms. That's the highlight of the song for me -- no question about it. The first fill occurs at exactly 1:39 (RIR) and 1:36 (VT).

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

Edited to fix awful typing.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 2 2005, 12:40 PM)
This song did absolutely nothing for me when I first heard it. All I could do is think of how Geddy sounded absolutely shreaky through the verses.

It grew on me as I listened to it more and more. What grabbed me first was Alex's guitar work -- as most people have commented on was the wailing, sobbing, soaring, weeping, spooky sound that begins in the 2nd chorus. It's amazing.

Then I saw the VT show and they played it live. I had no idea how great this song would truly sound when played live. It has since been a favorite of mine, both from RIR, R30, and VT.

My absolute favorite moment in the song (and the cameras captured it for RIR) is Neil's drum fill in the bridge that ends the first chorus, just before the 2nd verse. That first fill which is ended by a triple POUNDING on the floor tom is unf*ckingbelievable. And I mean unf*ckingbelievable!!! Followed by a fill which begins the same, but ends on a single stroke roll down the toms. That's the highlight of the song for me -- no question about it. The first fill occurs at exactly 1:39 (RIR) and 1:36 (VT).

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

yes.gif I think Earthshine sounds much better live than it does on Vapor Trails. Although, most songs do considering you are right there and you are so pumped up for the great show. trink39.gif

I like the live version better than the studio version. When it's played live it just seems to be heavier. Alex really has a great sound on the solo too. AlexFinal.gif 1022.gif

I love this song, I always find myself air guitaring to Alex's intro riff, and Im a drummer?!?!?!?!?! Anyone else partake on this crazy habit?? lol

Archived