What if...

yyzyy

Would you like it if at the next concert, they have an opening act, but a cover band of Rush? I think that would be kind of cool...I'd love to see that happen...anybody agree with me or disagree?

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

I saw a cover band once and the bar owner thought it would be a good idea to show Rush in Rio before the band started. It was a nightmare. They were lucky they didn't have a cover charge because the band started at Intermission on the DVD and more than half of the crowd got up and left. If they had charged a cover there would have been trouble because the "tribute" band wasn't even half lousy, they just sucked out-right! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif wacko.gif

Personally, I think the whole tribute band thing is a bad idea.

Add to that, I'm quite ambivalent to the whole tribute band scene as a rule.

If its a band that's no longer going or highly unlikely to tour the part of the world where the tribute is based, fair enough. I've seen a fantastic Eagles tribute called Talon and a very good Thin Lizzy tibute called Tin Lizzy.

However, the problem comes when you get tributes to bands that are still around and touring regularly. And the problem is that these tributes get preference for gigs over bands playing original material, at least where I live they do. We've even got a venue which, about ten years ago, used to feature a good mixture of local and established bands nearly every night of the week. Now, however, you get seven days of tribute bands followed by another week of tributes.

Get the picture.

Tribute bands upyours.gif

I also think it would be pointless. I would think that it would ruin the show for me, since you came to see Rush in the first place and a tribute band opens for them playing their same songs. Plus, I doubt many tribute bands could play Rush songs as good as our boys could biggrin.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Dec 30 2004, 04:54 PM)
Would you like it if at the next concert, they have an opening act, but a cover band of Rush? I think that would be kind of cool...I'd love to see that happen...anybody agree with me or disagree?

R U shitting me? new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Dec 31 2004, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (yyzyy @ Dec 30 2004, 04:54 PM)
Would you like it if at the next concert, they have an opening act, but a cover band of Rush?  I think that would be kind of cool...I'd love to see that happen...anybody agree with me or disagree?

AlexFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  GeddyFinal.gif

R U shitting me? new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Yeah, a BIG new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif to that.

An emulation of Rush as prelude to the real thing? Nah, I'd much rather see an original act open who are doing something of their own so I can be exposed to something new that I might end up liking. I'm really not that big on cover bands period, tribute or otherwise.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 31 2004, 07:30 AM)

If its a band that's no longer going or highly unlikely to tour the part of the world where the tribute is based, fair enough. I've seen a fantastic Eagles tribute called Talon and a very good Thin Lizzy tibute called Tin Lizzy.

However, the problem comes when you get tributes to bands that are still around and touring regularly. And the problem is that these tributes get preference for gigs over bands playing original material, at least where I live they do. We've even got a venue which, about ten years ago, used to feature a good mixture of local and established bands nearly every night of the week. Now, however, you get seven days of tribute bands followed by another week of tributes.

Get the picture.

The eagles are still touring ...

anyway ...

I guess it is supply and demand ... if the clubs are booking tribute bands over original bands, then they apparently are drawing a better crowd. Cant hate that.

Here, it is the opposite, it would be difficult to make a living being in a RUSH tribute band where I live.

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Dec 30 2004, 01:54 PM)

It would be interesting, no doubt, but I wouldn't really want to see that. The concept of that is kind of awkward in a way.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 31 2004, 04:30 AM)

Get the picture.

Yes. If you've heard that 'Red Star' tribute, that's what I feel like too. The tribute is just awful!

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 1 2005, 12:10 AM)
Just to sum it up ... I really feel they would be booed off the stage.

yes.gif I agree with that. No one would even care about them when they know that Rush is backstage and the real thing will be out in a few minutes. They shouldn't even waste their time.

How about they call a tribute band just for ten minutes to play The Camera Eye? 1022.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 1 2005, 05:07 AM)
The eagles are still touring ...

Yeah, but they've toured the UK something like once in the past 15 years and are less likely than Rush to come here again so, for many of us, its the closet we'll get. Talon are slightly different though - they started off as an Eagles tribute but have now started playing their own material. This year they're due to release their first album of original material and are touring in support of it. According to their newsletter, the two sides of their career will be running side by side.

My main objection was aimed at the proliferation of Robbie Williams, Oasis, Westlife, etc tributes that are going round and taking gigs from newer bands.

Another difference with Talon is that they draw big big enough crowds to play venues that the local bands have got no chance of filling.

If they wanted to scale down thier set then maybe make a few music video's of the songs they don't want to play live the camera eye fountain etc.

Openinng with that would be cool. Rush is a hard band to open for they have such a wide span of fans it hard to get a group for all of them I think thats along with the long list of songs is why they went to the "Evening' with " format.

If they wanted to scale down thier set then maybe make a few music video's of the songs they don't want to play live the camera eye fountain etc.
Openinng with that would be cool. Rush is a hard band to open for they have such a wide span of fans it hard to get a group for all of them I think thats along with the long list of songs is why they went to the "Evening' with " format.

Speaking of which, why aren't Rush making anymore music videos?

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Jan 1 2005, 02:39 PM)

I would like to see a music video for Ghostrider, maybe with some pics of Neil on his motorcycle journey. That would be a sweet music video. One Little Victory and Earthshine would also be pretty neat to watch. trink39.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 1 2005, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (yyzyy @ Jan 1 2005, 02:39 PM)

I would like to see a music video for Ghostrider, maybe with some pics of Neil on his motorcycle journey. That would be a sweet music video. One Little Victory and Earthshine would also be pretty neat to watch. trink39.gif

Freeze would also be interesting to watch. I would like to see that, as well as Nocturne.

Archived