Sponsored Post

#262 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 19687 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:59 AM

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years and Virtuality are also just...dogs, yeah. But YBYL takes the cake for me.

(However, I love the Roll the Bones album aside from that one song).

#263 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 81573 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

The lyrics to Virtuality leave much to be desired but the tune itself is above average for that period of the band.  You want uninspired dreck musically and lyrically, listen to Half the World.  Or do yourself a favor, and dont.

#264 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1849 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 28 August 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

I think it's mostly a rock thing.  The key is the band has to be around for quite a while, and then break really big.  The fans that were with them at the outset resent the new ones because they're Johnny Come Latelys in their minds.  Oh, what, NOW you like them because of Limelight?  The Fountain of Lamneth wasn't good enough for you?

Johnny come lately, the new kid in town.
Everybody loves you, so don't let them down.

The Eagles - New Kid In Town

Edited by RushFanForever, 20 February 2020 - 10:27 AM.

#265 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

A Passenger to Bangkok

• Members
  • 6705 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:48 PM

Totem

Leave that pole alone! :tsk:

Posted Image

#266 Bahamas

Bahamas

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Music, more music, outdoor winter stuff, cooking together in the kitchen with cocktails, reading fiction, volunteering.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

Alright, I am going to "be that guy"...

I am not going through all the hate songs and posts, but in general would it not be better to say "which songs do you not like?
Personally speaking, there is not a single song that was done wrong, was there to ask for your permission...was thrown together for fill.

Yes the theme of each album followed a certain trail, and maybe it was different from what I would like it to go. But it mattered. It spoke to the whole.

Some albums, some songs sound different, produced perhaps differently than what you would expect. Tinny, pop-like, radio-friendly comes to mind.
They were always hyper aware of sound, of the end result - but always giving everything it took to put it into copy.
When asked if there was a bunch of unreleased tracks, the answer was no, if it didn't cut it, it was tossed. Isn't that the very nature of our beloved?

So for me, having every studio album and playing them depending on my mood, no, I wouldn't share every recording with friends or try to convince people that this song might be pleasant to their ear. The catalogue of tracks is for my pleasure, and it changes. But really, perfection and feeling the current trends was a challenge over 40 years.

Have I ever listened and wondered...really? Yes. But never did I think it was poorly done. Never did I think it was "worst". Just different than what I wanted.

I think they nailed everything. But again, is it to your taste?

Listen again to the songs you think might be less than wanting. Do the lyrics sound odd? You are also getting an awesome guitar track. Did it sound a bit corny and political? The timing and rhythm will blow you away! I did see some references to Virtuality . The guitar and bass are amazing. As a trio, nobody can even come close! I suggest you turn up the volume a bit to get the subtle sounds. The drum track is anything but "worst".

I came upon this while listening to Test For Echo. Resist? Yes it might sound romantic and fluffy, but listen again to the time signatures. Then suddenly you get  Limbo. Awesome.

...plink, plink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users