Jump to content


worst rush song ever released


  • Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#261 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

    By-Tor on the Bayou

  • Members
  • 25552 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West of the 2nd
  • Interests:Enjoying every day that ends in Y.

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:41 PM

Anagram For Mongo

good movie ... song, not so much

Mongo only pawn in game of life

Sponsored Post

#262 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20821 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, music, music, politics, literature

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:59 AM

You Bet Your Life


Dog Years and Virtuality are also just...dogs, yeah. But YBYL takes the cake for me.

(However, I love the Roll the Bones album aside from that one song).

#263 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 89553 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

The lyrics to Virtuality leave much to be desired but the tune itself is above average for that period of the band.  You want uninspired dreck musically and lyrically, listen to Half the World.  Or do yourself a favor, and dont.

#264 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    I've got a link for that!

  • Members
  • 3377 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 28 August 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

I think it's mostly a rock thing.  The key is the band has to be around for quite a while, and then break really big.  The fans that were with them at the outset resent the new ones because they're Johnny Come Latelys in their minds.  Oh, what, NOW you like them because of Limelight?  The Fountain of Lamneth wasn't good enough for you?

Johnny come lately, the new kid in town.
Everybody loves you, so don't let them down.

The Eagles - New Kid In Town

Edited by RushFanForever, 20 February 2020 - 10:27 AM.


#265 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 7077 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:48 PM

Totem

Leave that pole alone! :tsk:

Posted Image

#266 Bahamas

Bahamas

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 258 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Thunder Bay, ON (Born and raised in Willowdale, ON).
  • Interests:Music, cooking together in the kitchen with cocktails, reading, winter wilderness survival, sailing, canoeing, cycling, audio systems.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

Alright, I am going to "be that guy"...

I am not going through all the hate songs and posts, but in general would it not be better to say "which songs do you not like?
Personally speaking, there is not a single song that was done wrong, was there to ask for your permission...was thrown together for fill.

Yes the theme of each album followed a certain trail, and maybe it was different from what I would like it to go. But it mattered. It spoke to the whole.

Some albums, some songs sound different, produced perhaps differently than what you would expect. Tinny, pop-like, radio-friendly comes to mind.
They were always hyper aware of sound, of the end result - but always giving everything it took to put it into copy.
When asked if there was a bunch of unreleased tracks, the answer was no, if it didn't cut it, it was tossed. Isn't that the very nature of our beloved?

So for me, having every studio album and playing them depending on my mood, no, I wouldn't share every recording with friends or try to convince people that this song might be pleasant to their ear. The catalogue of tracks is for my pleasure, and it changes. But really, perfection and feeling the current trends was a challenge over 40 years.

Have I ever listened and wondered...really? Yes. But never did I think it was poorly done. Never did I think it was "worst". Just different than what I wanted.

I think they nailed everything. But again, is it to your taste?

Listen again to the songs you think might be less than wanting. Do the lyrics sound odd? You are also getting an awesome guitar track. Did it sound a bit corny and political? The timing and rhythm will blow you away! I did see some references to Virtuality . The guitar and bass are amazing. As a trio, nobody can even come close! I suggest you turn up the volume a bit to get the subtle sounds. The drum track is anything but "worst".

I came upon this while listening to Test For Echo. Resist? Yes it might sound romantic and fluffy, but listen again to the time signatures. Then suddenly you get  Limbo. Awesome.

...plink, plink.

#267 jnoble

jnoble

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1551 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:50 AM

I can't choose just one because there are Rush songs I really dislike but for different reasons. There are the songs that actually aren't that bad but let down by poor sound & production (half of RTB and a lot of Vapor Trails)
And then there are the songs that are pretty substandard and forgettable despite good sound & production (most of Snakes)
And then there are the songs that are pretty substandard and forgettable AND mixed poorly (I'm looking at YOU, Clockwork Angels album)

#268 Bahamas

Bahamas

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 258 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Thunder Bay, ON (Born and raised in Willowdale, ON).
  • Interests:Music, cooking together in the kitchen with cocktails, reading, winter wilderness survival, sailing, canoeing, cycling, audio systems.

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:53 PM

Please be more specific? Yes there have been decisions to change studios/producers, I don't like everything I paid for. But there are re-mixes (money grab or sonic do-overs.) and re-releases, more than one version of a recording (!).

Substandard and forgettable...despite good sound and production, maybe examples?  I love CA and using live strings was something they have wanted to include for a long time. I am not sure how much I like the last three albums because they are quite "down key", waltzy into an off key sort of way, but CA in general? There are some kick-ass moments, hard and really strong passages. Like 2112 almost.

@jnoble, do go on :)

#269 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 35824 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:39 AM

View PostBahamas, on 29 February 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:


Substandard and forgettable...despite good sound and production, maybe examples?

Just speaking for myself, the Test for Echo album as a whole is exactly this. IMHO there are no great or terrible songs on it, just a few good ones (Test for Echo, Driven, Time & Motion) and plenty of forgettable ones (Half the World, Virtuality, Carve Away the Stone, and some others). Sound wise, it’s perfectly fine - good even.

It’s substandard in terms of Rush songs and albums but better than most other bands out there.

#270 ST3V

ST3V

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1820 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, Sports, Gaming, Skateboarding, Rock Climbing/Hiking

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:51 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 March 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

View PostBahamas, on 29 February 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

Substandard and forgettable...despite good sound and production, maybe examples?

Just speaking for myself, the Test for Echo album as a whole is exactly this. IMHO there are no great or terrible songs on it, just a few good ones (Test for Echo, Driven, Time & Motion) and plenty of forgettable ones (Half the World, Virtuality, Carve Away the Stone, and some others). Sound wise, it’s perfectly fine - good even.

It’s substandard in terms of Rush songs and albums but better than most other bands out there.

All 3 of the forgettable ones you listed here are some of my favorites from T4E. But thats probably because I'm one of the rare people who put T4E above 2112 so you can choose to listen to me or not, It doesn't matter

#271 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 78884 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 01 March 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostST3V, on 01 March 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

I'm one of the rare people who put T4E above 2112
the unicorn of RUSH fans

#272 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 28553 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:53 PM

Superconductor

Reeks of the kind adult contemporary mediocrity of the early 90s that I’d only listen to for childhood nostalgia.

Edited by invisible airwave, 01 March 2020 - 09:54 PM.


#273 Bahamas

Bahamas

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 258 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Thunder Bay, ON (Born and raised in Willowdale, ON).
  • Interests:Music, cooking together in the kitchen with cocktails, reading, winter wilderness survival, sailing, canoeing, cycling, audio systems.

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:05 PM

Harsh!
Many times driving around town shopping for groceries, I play the "middle albums",
Often at night I repeat some songs, getting the best parts.

So many best parts.
Counter parts!?!

#274 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 35824 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:51 AM

View PostST3V, on 01 March 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 March 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

View PostBahamas, on 29 February 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

Substandard and forgettable...despite good sound and production, maybe examples?

Just speaking for myself, the Test for Echo album as a whole is exactly this. IMHO there are no great or terrible songs on it, just a few good ones (Test for Echo, Driven, Time & Motion) and plenty of forgettable ones (Half the World, Virtuality, Carve Away the Stone, and some others). Sound wise, it’s perfectly fine - good even.

It’s substandard in terms of Rush songs and albums but better than most other bands out there.

All 3 of the forgettable ones you listed here are some of my favorites from T4E. But thats probably because I'm one of the rare people who put T4E above 2112 so you can choose to listen to me or not, It doesn't matter

?

You sound defensive

:lol:

#275 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 35824 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:51 AM

View Postgoose, on 01 March 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

View PostST3V, on 01 March 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

I'm one of the rare people who put T4E above 2112
the unicorn of RUSH fans

:lol:

#276 ST3V

ST3V

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1820 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, Sports, Gaming, Skateboarding, Rock Climbing/Hiking

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:18 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 March 2020 - 03:51 AM, said:

View PostST3V, on 01 March 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 March 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

View PostBahamas, on 29 February 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

Substandard and forgettable...despite good sound and production, maybe examples?

Just speaking for myself, the Test for Echo album as a whole is exactly this. IMHO there are no great or terrible songs on it, just a few good ones (Test for Echo, Driven, Time & Motion) and plenty of forgettable ones (Half the World, Virtuality, Carve Away the Stone, and some others). Sound wise, it’s perfectly fine - good even.

It’s substandard in terms of Rush songs and albums but better than most other bands out there.

All 3 of the forgettable ones you listed here are some of my favorites from T4E. But thats probably because I'm one of the rare people who put T4E above 2112 so you can choose to listen to me or not, It doesn't matter

?

You sound defensive

:lol:

Its not that, its just that It's kinda funny how the ones you say are forgettable are some of the least forgettable for me

#277 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 35824 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:26 PM

View PostST3V, on 02 March 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 March 2020 - 03:51 AM, said:

View PostST3V, on 01 March 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 March 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

View PostBahamas, on 29 February 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

Substandard and forgettable...despite good sound and production, maybe examples?

Just speaking for myself, the Test for Echo album as a whole is exactly this. IMHO there are no great or terrible songs on it, just a few good ones (Test for Echo, Driven, Time & Motion) and plenty of forgettable ones (Half the World, Virtuality, Carve Away the Stone, and some others). Sound wise, it’s perfectly fine - good even.

It’s substandard in terms of Rush songs and albums but better than most other bands out there.

All 3 of the forgettable ones you listed here are some of my favorites from T4E. But thats probably because I'm one of the rare people who put T4E above 2112 so you can choose to listen to me or not, It doesn't matter

?

You sound defensive

:lol:

Its not that, its just that It's kinda funny how the ones you say are forgettable are some of the least forgettable for me

It’s nothing to me other than someone else’s opinion. I think Natural Science is their best tune. Some would agree but most wouldn’t.
You say “tomayto”, and i say “tomhahto”.

#278 Mike Check

Mike Check

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1641 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New World mid-west
  • Interests:Reading, animals, Sci-Fi, music, and family

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:04 PM

Here's what I think the measurement should be..if you knew nothing about Rush, would this song/album make you want to hear more?

#279 Weatherman

Weatherman

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 279 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:writing, travel, guitar, long balks on the weach

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:03 PM

Tai Shan. A thousand times, Tai Shan.
If you disagree, then someone must've been setting off M-80s in your skull.
;-)

#280 Snowdog92

Snowdog92

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto,ON

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

I don't think I can pin point it to a single song but I will stand by Power Windows - Hold Your Fire - Presto   being the worst era and string of albums released. I do like to pick some odd songs off of them but as a group of songs together it's the weakest.

Roll The Bones is kinda in a weird spot between that and then their 90's sound but it's got a lot more charm than the previous albums mentioned imo. The rap may in the title track might be looked at as some cheesy stint but it's full of rhythm and was fun at shows and differentiated them from other prog rock acts that may have been more close minded to a lot of the up and coming genres at the time.

I see the hate on Vapor Trails still exists here lol I rather hear loud guitars than synths.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users