worst rush song ever released

bringer of balance

The worst song the band has put out has to be Dog Years. It is the only Rush song where I have actually cringed at the lyrics. I mean seriously, when the term "doggy heaven" is used in a song, there's little chance of recovering.

What one fan hates, another one loves.

In that light, there is no "worst Rush song ever released." It may be the worst to you, but not to someone else.

Except Hemispheres. That has to be everyone's favorite.

:laughing guy:

Oh Kenny... :sigh: ...it's not everyone's favorite, believe it or not! :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

Miss you, Kenny. Wish you posted here like you used to. :hug2:

Edited by Lorraine

Worst Song From Each Album / Terribleness Rating

Rush - Before and After / Not that terrible, just the most boring thing on the album

Fly By Night - Rivendell / What the hell happened here? Keep the D&D stuff far away from Rush, guys.

Caress of Steel - I Think I'm Going Bald / Not really as bad as the title suggests.

2112 - The Twilight Zone / Writing a song about the Twilight Zone in 1976 is like writing a song about The Office in 2015

A Farewell To Kings - Cinderella Man / I've listened to this song 100 times and the plot still doesn't make any sense. Challenge the hungry?

Hemispheres- Circumstances / Not very terrible at all. Bilingual!

Permanent Waves- Different Strings / This song is pretty sweet. The rest of the album is just sweeter.

Moving Pictures- Witch Hunt / Somehow a top of the pile Rush song is the worst thing on this album. MP kicks ass.

Signals- Countdown / Sounds like a 5th grade field trip report. And those NASA sound effects? :|

Grace Under Pressure- Afterimage / Side one leans way too hard into the synths and this is the main culprit. It's just a downer.

Power Windows- Middletown Dreams / PW is super consistent in quality but there is noticeable dip in energy here. Mission is like the same song.

Hold Your Fire- Tai Shan / Not as terrible as people say but pretty wimpy sounding. I like the image it paints though.

Presto- Superconductor / This song is a try-hard. You can tell this was intended to be a hit. It wasn't.

Roll The Bones- Neurotica / Uh oh Rush. Uh oh.

Counterparts- The Speed of Love / Not terrible but just pretty bland. Middle section kinda saves it.

Test For Echo- Carve Away The Stone / Much like Sisyphus, the titular character, this song just can't gain any momentum. Snap.

Vapor Trails- Peaceable Kingdom / Even after the Remix, this song still is an assault on the eardrums. In a bad way.

Feedback- For What It's Worth / This just isn't a very Rush-like song. Whatever.

Snakes And Arrows- Bravest Face / I hate this song. The chorus is so lame.

Clockwork Angels- BU2B2 / Does this even count as a song? If not, I'll go with Seven Cities of Gold.

You guys think I'm on the money with this one?

Worst Song From Each Album / Terribleness Rating

Rush - Before and After / Not that terrible, just the most boring thing on the album

Fly By Night - Rivendell / What the hell happened here? Keep the D&D stuff far away from Rush, guys.

Caress of Steel - I Think I'm Going Bald / Not really as bad as the title suggests.

2112 - The Twilight Zone / Writing a song about the Twilight Zone in 1976 is like writing a song about The Office in 2015

A Farewell To Kings - Cinderella Man / I've listened to this song 100 times and the plot still doesn't make any sense. Challenge the hungry?

Hemispheres- Circumstances / Not very terrible at all. Bilingual!

Permanent Waves- Different Strings / This song is pretty sweet. The rest of the album is just sweeter.

Moving Pictures- Witch Hunt / Somehow a top of the pile Rush song is the worst thing on this album. MP kicks ass.

Signals- Countdown / Sounds like a 5th grade field trip report. And those NASA sound effects? :|

Grace Under Pressure- Afterimage / Side one leans way too hard into the synths and this is the main culprit. It's just a downer.

Power Windows- Middletown Dreams / PW is super consistent in quality but there is noticeable dip in energy here. Mission is like the same song.

Hold Your Fire- Tai Shan / Not as terrible as people say but pretty wimpy sounding. I like the image it paints though.

Presto- Superconductor / This song is a try-hard. You can tell this was intended to be a hit. It wasn't.

Roll The Bones- Neurotica / Uh oh Rush. Uh oh.

Counterparts- The Speed of Love / Not terrible but just pretty bland. Middle section kinda saves it.

Test For Echo- Carve Away The Stone / Much like Sisyphus, the titular character, this song just can't gain any momentum. Snap.

Vapor Trails- Peaceable Kingdom / Even after the Remix, this song still is an assault on the eardrums. In a bad way.

Feedback- For What It's Worth / This just isn't a very Rush-like song. Whatever.

Snakes And Arrows- Bravest Face / I hate this song. The chorus is so lame.

Clockwork Angels- BU2B2 / Does this even count as a song? If not, I'll go with Seven Cities of Gold.

Not too much to disagree with here.

I'd pick Here Again or Take a Friend on the debut, madrigal on AFTK, and Red Lenses on p/g.

And of course, the worst Rush song ever, Half the World, on T4E.

Plus everything on Presto and S&A.

I can't stand Tears. I don't understand any message it's trying to send, and it just seems like it was only recorded so they could slow down the pace of 2112 if that makes any sense. Seeing as that was the first album I owned, it didn't leave a good taste in my mouth for what was to come. Luckily 2112 itself as well as Something For Nothing made me CRAVE more. I spent more time listening to 2112 than my own thoughts for a month.

The Body Electric, I defy anyone to explain why it is worth a listen more than once...it is Rush poop.

This song was incredible live on the CA Tour. I didn't really appreciate the studio version before but live it's wonderful.

• Like 1

The Body Electric, I defy anyone to explain why it is worth a listen more than once...it is Rush poop.

This song was incredible live on the CA Tour. I didn't really appreciate the studio version before but live it's wonderful.

I love that song, and I bet it is great live, but I don't think they will be doing it again.

• Like 1

In terms of their worst song, why don't more people mention Time Stand Still? Not only is the name grammatically incorrect (it should be Time STANDS Still),

Actually, I initially thought that too, but after realizing 1) these guys speak fluent English, and 2) they are not idiots, I found myself thinking harder about that title and the lyrics Geddy is singing in the song. I believe the idea here is almost that he is speaking to time and pleading for it to stand still because it is moving too fast. Saying, "Hey, Time....STAND STILL, damn it!" So if I am correct, you can argue that maybe a comma should have come after the word "time". But you get the picture. For them to call it "Time Stands Still" would be counter to what they are actually saying in the song. Think about it.

No need to think about it. What you point out is obvious. Song and album titles, like poetry, rarely worry about punctuation. There's no need.

Not on this one. Rod Serling died that year. It's normal to pay homage to your heroes.
  • Like 1

Time Stand Still is one of the bands most perfect short songs. Everything about it is perfection. Just because it doesn't rock out doesn't mean it should be overlooked. And Aimee Mann sounds wonderful, everything about this song is spot on perfect.

Worst Rush song is You Bet Your Life. It stinks.

The epitome of filler.
  • Like 1

Half the World

Lyrics that could have been written by a fourth grader combined with dull music.

It's a cute little pop song. Not everything has to sound like natural science. And Rush knows this. Who gives a shit if the lyrics are a bit pedestrian? It's a catchy tune.

Maybe you should take a cue from the boys and lighten up a bit.

(goes on to rail against Dog Years)

;)

Half the World

Lyrics that could have been written by a fourth grader combined with dull music.

It's a cute little pop song. Not everything has to sound like natural science. And Rush knows this. Who gives a shit if the lyrics are a bit pedestrian? It's a catchy tune.

Maybe you should take a cue from the boys and lighten up a bit.

If I appreciated dullness and mediocrity, you'd have at least 4123 likes.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/7SRG/oh-snap/image.png?w=400&c=1
  • Like 1

First time I listened to Dog Years I bursted out laughing at the absurd lyrics. Ridiculous.

I believe that was the intent. That this seems to be lost on so many..
  • Like 2

I'd say The Fountain Of Lamneth. It's quite boring. It just drags on. I'd much rather be listening to side one of 2112 or Hemispheres. Those are solid. Hell, I'd rather listen to The Necromancer over The Fountain of Lamneth.
  • Like 2

I'd say The Fountain Of Lamneth. It's quite boring. It just drags on. I'd much rather be listening to side one of 2112 or Hemispheres. Those are solid. Hell, I'd rather listen to The Necromancer over The Fountain of Lamneth.

I used to skip it as a kid and young adult. Mid-30's I fell in love with it.