worst rush song ever released

bringer of balance

Have always loathed Second Nature only because of its lyrics. Preachy much, Neil? A stinker indeed on an album I otherwise quite like.
  • Like 2

In a vast career i can make a pretty good list.

Tai Shan

High Water

Superconductor

Face up

Countdown

By-Tor

Which Hunt

Cygnus book 1 and I

Red Lenses

Speed of Love

Double agent

Nobody's Hero

Bu2b

Caravan

Carnies

Seven Cities of Gold

And all of T4E except Resist. Also all of VT. T4E and VT are the lowest of lows

Mick

Tai Shan

High Water

Countdown

Witch Hunt

Cygnus book 1 (presuming this is the AFTK track?-Segue)

Red Lenses

Speed of Love

Double agent

Nobody's Hero

Bu2b

Caravan

Carnies

Seven Cities of Gold

Mick

Wow! We have a fair bit in common, you and me, but most of that list ranks amongst my all time favourite songs!

As for Vapor Trails, well that album grew on me ridiculously fast two weeks back...

Edited by Segue Myles

As for me, the last track on RTB, only I can never remember what it is called!

Tai Shan

High Water

Countdown

Witch Hunt

Cygnus book 1 (presuming this is the AFTK track?-Segue)

Red Lenses

Speed of Love

Double agent

Nobody's Hero

Bu2b

Caravan

Carnies

Seven Cities of Gold

Mick

Wow! We have a fair bit in common, you and me, but most of that list ranks amongst my all time favourite songs!

As for Vapor Trails, well that album grew on me ridiculously fast two weeks back...

Cygnus is from AFTK. Book 1 anyway. Book II is Hemispheres. I dislike both. VT.......i'm glad you were open. But my hate for it is cemented.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

As for me, the last track on RTB, only I can never remember what it is called!

You Bet Your Life, you don't know what its called

I'm really not digging the negative, derogatory nature of this thread, all Rush songs are good, are me and TheRocinanteKid the only ones who think this??

I am with you. Truth be told... I am not a big fan of Superconducor or Tai Shan, but for different reasons with each song, and I sometimes make fun of those songs for those reasons. But in the bigger picture, I appreciate the joy this band has brought me since my fandom began in 1983 and I proudly own and often listen to every album they have put out. Frankly, if the band wanted to make their 2015 set list every song mentioned in this thread (including Superconductor and Tai Shan as the encore) I would A) support them , B) go to the show, and C) cheer loudly. You know why? After 40+ years, these guys can do whatever they want.... musically, financially, and philosophically.

A side thought.... I am often puzzled by the negativity directed at the band's songs that focus on Neil's love of word play (e.g. Anagram, Red Lenses). Red Lenses may not be their best work, but the word play is fun and even funny ("The Soviets are the blues" is one good example). I mean, come on, this is Rush. They are the kings of the nerd herd. They don't write music about boobs and beer. Everyone who is paying attention knows this! If people want bland music and petty, meaningless lyrics they should listen to Kiss.... or the modern incarnation of Kiss without makeup: Nickleback.

Okay, side rant over.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 3

Tai Shan.

I think The Garden may be the prettiest song they ever wrote. Gorgeous melody, strings and a great message beautifully put into words.

I'm not saying it is the best song they ever wrote but it may be the prettiest.

• Like 1

What one fan hates, another one loves.

In that light, there is no "worst Rush song ever released." It may be the worst to you, but not to someone else.

Except Hemispheres. That has to be everyone's favorite.

:laughing guy:

• Like 2

In that light, there is no "worst Rush song ever released." It may be the worst to you, but not to someone else.

Or else. :bang bang:

• Like 2

In terms of their worst song, why don't more people mention Time Stand Still? Not only is the name grammatically incorrect (it should be Time STANDS Still), it features a singer than isn't Geddy (which is very wrong), but not only that, she was a flash in the pan. Oh, and the video sucks. (My husband once heard that song playing (via iTunes shuffle) and said, "Oh, isn't this the song with the drummer flying around the room?")

Aimee Mann is well respected in the alternative music world. No flash in the pan.

^ This. And also the song title is not grammatically incorrect. In the context of the lyrics, it's not.

Time Stand Still is one of the bands most perfect short songs. Everything about it is perfection. Just because it doesn't rock out doesn't mean it should be overlooked. And Aimee Mann sounds wonderful, everything about this song is spot on perfect.

Worst Rush song is You Bet Your Life. It stinks.

• Like 3

Time Stand Still is one of the bands most perfect short songs. Everything about it is perfection. Just because it doesn't rock out doesn't mean it should be overlooked. And Aimee Mann sounds wonderful, everything about this song is spot on perfect.

Worst Rush song is You Bet Your Life. It stinks.

Completely agree regarding Time Stand Still. I don't think You Bet Your Life is QUITE their worst song, though. That would be The Speed of Love.

• Like 1

I will go along with Speed of Love. Wow, would make a really good Michael Bolton song with that title.

Also, Second Nature. Don't really like the melody, tempo, etc. Just doesn't appeal to me.

And I am shocked that no one has mentioned Between Sun And Moon.

"Ah yes to yes to ah to yes" (what the hell is that?)

"Why the sun? Why the sun?" (why this song?)

There are a handful of Rush songs I would classify as "cheesy" and these are among them.

Yes, I think I would rather listen to Rivendell than any of these songs.

And you know what, I think it's ok to have these discussions. I still love Rush regardless but some of these songs.....eesh! :facepalm:

In terms of their worst song, why don't more people mention Time Stand Still? Not only is the name grammatically incorrect (it should be Time STANDS Still),

Actually, I initially thought that too, but after realizing 1) these guys speak fluent English, and 2) they are not idiots, I found myself thinking harder about that title and the lyrics Geddy is singing in the song. I believe the idea here is almost that he is speaking to time and pleading for it to stand still because it is moving too fast. Saying, "Hey, Time....STAND STILL, damn it!" So if I am correct, you can argue that maybe a comma should have come after the word "time". But you get the picture. For them to call it "Time Stands Still" would be counter to what they are actually saying in the song. Think about it.

Edited by Xanadu

Half The World

Neurotica at least has a slight (VERY slight, mind you) thread of melody running through it, Speed Of Love actually has a rather pleasant guitar line and a pleasant (though decidedly unoriginal) atmosphere (largely wasted, but they're there), and Tai Shan is uneventful enough (and lasts a reasonable amount of time) for me not to altogether loathe it (even if it's still pretty bad). But Half The World has none of these things going for it (well, it's short, but it's not as if it helps): no tangible melody, no real atmosphere, no interesting instrumental parts... honestly, there's no redeeming features to it whatsoever. Just awful.

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1