Save or Trash?

Sodoff Baldrick

Over the holidays my mother returned to me a number of scrapbooks I had kept during high school and collage. Back then I hung out with friends I haven't seen since I got married and moved away. Looking at all the photos I had taken brought back some nice memories, and some not so nice ones. Included in the scrapbooks are numerous pictures of myself with my ex-boyfriend. Because we shared many friends, he was still hanging around when we split and I started dating my now husband.

I'm wondering now if there's a point in hanging onto these old albums. Hubby and the ex, naturally, didn't get along the brief time they had been thrown together in social situations, and I figure he'd be upset if I kept pictures of me and somebody else. The albums are in the closet right now, I'm wondering what to do with them.

Just curious, what would you do? Keep them for posterity or just throw them out, get on with the present?

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 29 2004, 02:15 PM)
I would keep them. You may regret not keeping them 20 years from now. Those cannot be replaced. Put them in a "memory box" and store it away. You may be glad later. Throw them away and you can never get them back.

I agree.

Select the ones which don't have the ex. on and keep those. If your hubby has a problem with you keeping them, you must sling them. smile.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 29 2004, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Dec 29 2004, 02:12 PM)
I wish I had gone to collage but we were too poor...........

An appropriate typo in a thread about photos...

I still wish I had gone to collage. Those foriegn schools and their foreign boys, sigh..................

QUOTE (dweezil @ Dec 29 2004, 02:23 PM)

I still wish I had gone to collage. Those foriegn schools and their foreign boys, sigh..................

Took me 7 years to get through college - went night school, worked 50 hours a week to pay and still had loans that I just finished paying off 2 years ago. IMO college doesn't mean jack shit. It is a piece of paper that may help you get a job. As far as intellect of the individual? Doesn't mean shit... I know morons who have college degrees, morons with master's degrees, and brilliant people with no degrees.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 29 2004, 12:27 PM)

Took me 7 years to get through college - went night school, worked 50 hours a week to pay and still had loans that I just finished paying off 2 years ago. IMO college doesn't mean jack shit. It is a piece of paper that may help you get a job. As far as intellect of the individual? Doesn't mean shit... I know morons who have college degrees, morons with master's degrees, and brilliant people with no degrees.

Yes, but then I'd have a collage degree.

Instead of painting and pen and ink, I could be selling collages...........

Now I'm just getting hot thinking about them.......mmmmmmmmm collages.....mmmmmm

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 29 2004, 02:27 PM)

I agree with your statement "As far as intellect of the individual? Doesn't mean shit... I know morons who have college degrees, morons with master's degrees, and brilliant people with no degrees."

but your statement: "college doesn't mean jack shit." IMHO, isn't true. If for no other reason, just the accomplishment of you working your way through school means a lot.

I dunno....I mean, I'm only in High School.....but memories like that....I would hold on to 'em.....like some one said, you can't replace them if you trow it away, so just stuff it away for awhile if your tired of seeing it and later on in life if you feel like looking through them again, do so. You can keep the past and move on with the present....

My drug and alchohol habit ate away at my college dreams...but finally your humble narrator has been cured...Oh yeah i forgot,keep the memories what the hell yes.gif

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Dec 29 2004, 02:04 PM)
.... and I figure he'd be upset if I kept pictures of me and somebody else.

Just curious, what would you do? Keep them for posterity or just throw them out, get on with the present?

It seems the delema stems more from the fact you haven't TALKED to your husband about it yet. ohmy.gif You seem to want to keep them. So why don't you just talk it out? It's not like it's a whole picture book of your ex! It's a yearbook full of pictures, and SOME of them have him in it. It may not be as big a deal as you think, but you'll never know unless you ASK YOUR HUSBAND! wink.gif If he doesn't care... problem solved! If he does, tear out the affected pages and move on, problem still solved! I mean, you married him, didn't you? You moved on... it shouldn't be that big of a deal... but either way, you HAVE to ask him FIRST! IMO cool.gif

KEEP THEM!!!!!! You cant replace those pics once they are gone. It is rather fun 10, 15 and 20 years later to look back on them and laugh. Plus your daughter will get a big kick out of them when she starts to date. They are a part of you, a part of how you got to be who you are.

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Dec 29 2004, 02:04 PM)
Over the holidays my mother returned to me a number of scrapbooks I had kept during high school and collage. Back then I hung out with friends I haven't seen since I got married and moved away. Looking at all the photos I had taken brought back some nice memories, and some not so nice ones. Included in the scrapbooks are numerous pictures of myself with my ex-boyfriend. Because we shared many friends, he was still hanging around when we split and I started dating my now husband.

I'm wondering now if there's a point in hanging onto these old albums. Hubby and the ex, naturally, didn't get along the brief time they had been thrown together in social situations, and I figure he'd be upset if I kept pictures of me and somebody else. The albums are in the closet right now, I'm wondering what to do with them.

This is a great topic.

I had the same problem a few years ago. People call me a pack rat when it comes to saving memories of my past. I tend to hold on to things that mean something to me but a some years ago I discovered a letter from an old girlfriend that would have hurt my wife. It went right into the trash. In your case, if you think it might hurt your husband I would throw it away. This is an instance where you would want to live in the present.

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 30 2004, 03:32 PM)
KEEP THEM!!!!!! You cant replace those pics once they are gone. It is rather fun 10, 15 and 20 years later to look back on them and laugh. Plus your daughter will get a big kick out of them when she starts to date. They are a part of you, a part of how you got to be who you are.

I'm with Pixey on this one.

I never met my wife's previous boyfriend, but looking over some old pictures one day years ago, we came across one of the two of them on holiday. I actually found it gratifying that I was the one she chose to spend her life with.

The question is whether there's anything there that would cause serious offence or threaten your husband in any way. If so, I'm with Cato76, if not, pack them into an attic. There must be some photos mementos your hubby can share as well. Don't risk du,ping stuff now and regretting it years later.

you don't still keep in contact with the ex right? and your married ....so, why after all these years would he still feel bad or threatened or offened by some photos/memories of your past?

i say keep what you feel you want to keep. they are afterall, only pictures. sure they conjure up memories.... but it's in the past. he and your family are your present...and your future....that's what really matters in the end anyway.....

Archived