Most underrated Rush album?

sfuentes

It would have to be Caress Of Steel. The album gets so little coverage, yet it's a very strong album, with Rush completely leaving their "Zep-isms", if you will. The Necromancer and The Fountain Of Lamneth are some of Rush's finest extended tracks, but then again, which track over 8 minutes isn't good?

I would say the first album, as I never really like CoS that much. Its probably my least favourite album of them all....perhaps with the exception of Test For Echo.

QUOTE (Red Porschetta @ Dec 28 2004, 05:44 PM)
PRESTO!
I love this album, yet Rush barely plays anything from it.

The Pass, Show Don't Tell..

I like War Paint, but I must admit, I'm not too keen on this album either. sad.gif soz

Edited by rickyrob

I think its difficult to say as every album has its admirers and knockers, generally depending upon which 'period' of Rush you like. Personally, I love all their albums with only the occasional song to mar my enjoyment (a more exhaustive discussion of this is on the 'Will Rush tour again?' thread).

However, the albums I think that are unfairly singled out for criticism are Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones and Counterparts. The venom that some Rush fans have hurled at these albums is, to be frank, staggering and I often wish I could hear the musical meanderings of these individuals to see if they have any right to call something crap. (I have no illusions about my own musical ability so I don't call anything crap - I may say that I particularly dislike it and detail what it is I don't like, but I don't call it crap.)

Caress of Steel is, I think, a forgotten gem. I can understand why some people don't like it - the production is a bit wanting in places and the sound is very dated, but, on the whole, the strength of the songs shines through. Similarly with the debut although not to the same degree. Possibly, due to Neil's absence, some people cut it a little more slack. I don't know.

Neither can I say which is their most underrated album. All I can say is give each one a chance - there are gems to be unearthed if you throw away your preconceptions.

Vapor Trails is a little bit underrated. There are a lot of good songs on there, but it doesn't seem to be getting the recognition it deserves. I don't know.

As for Presto, there are a lot of good songs on there, some that haven't been mentioned are Anagram, Red Tide, Superconductor, Hand Over Fist, and Chain Lightning.

Gotta agree actually with Vapor Trails. It may not be underrated in the Rush community, but it sure is on radio stations. Even ones that play a varied supply of Rush tend to never play anything they have written after P/G, but there is a lot of material on VT that really deserved to have more people hear.

Every thread needs a contrarian, and in this one, that would be me. biggrin.gif In my estimation CoS is appropriately rated lower. I have never gotten into CoS. The sound is much too leaden, sludgy and frankly, dull for my tastes. Sure there are a couple great songs, Bastille Day and Lakeside Park, but as many times as I listen to the rest of it, it just leaves me cold.

As far as being underrated, my vote would have to go with the album which is much derided by Rush fans, but which is among my favorites, Hold Your Fire.

I totally agree with BSG about CoS. And Hold Your Fire gets my vote. Most musical, well written album they every made!

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 28 2004, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (King Rygar @ Dec 28 2004, 11:27 PM)
Vapor Trails  ohmy.gif

I don't think Vapor Trails is that underrated. Most everyone loves the album and there aren't really any major complaints on it.

sound...........quality...............

COS.....I think....I mean, PResto is good, but it has some songs I could live without...but COS.....every song needs to be on that album.