Most underrated Rush album?

sfuentes

the debut, GUP, PoW, and HYF. COS isn't really underrated anymore I think because its unpopularity has seemed to make it popular over the years.

I feel like GUP and PoW get huge props...on this site at least.

Counterparts and Test For Echo, easily. It seems on here that Counterparts is the biggest polarizing album the boys have put out, at least on this forum. There are people like me that love Counterparts to death, with Lerxst and Ged showing some serious bass/guitar interplay that hasn't been prominent since some stuff on Power Windows or even Moving Pictures. The first 5 songs, Cold Fire, an AWESOME instrumental, and the hidden gem Everyday Glory are some of their best work. And Double Agent, while more of a jam than a song, is just fun to listen to.

Test For Echo gets so much hate because of people on here who put lyrics before musical instruments. Understand that Test For Echo isn't a singer's album like Presto or a lyrical "masterpiece". The focus on this album is the MUSIC and the interplay between the three. Neil just finished work with the Grube, and around this time Geddy went back to that snarling bass tone we all know and love, and Lerxst is being himself. The title track easily makes my top ten Rush songs of all time, and Driven, Half The World, Time and Motion, Virtuality, Limbo, and Carve Away The Stone are all good songs. I wish people would stop with the "Virtuality and Dog Years have awful lyrics" excuse. It's getting old. If you're more concerned about song lyrics than you are about the music itself you probably shouldn't be listening to Rush.

/rant

Edited by BowlCity

I would have to say Hold Your fire, I feel like Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission, Turn the Page,Prime Mover, Lock and Key, Open secrets and Second nature are all great tracks!

the debut, GUP, PoW, and HYF. COS isn't really underrated anymore I think because its unpopularity has seemed to make it popular over the years.

it seems split down the middle

it seems split down the middle

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/86772-the-rush-ratings-project-results/#entry3091729

I'd say Vapor Trails. It isn't my favorite by any means, but people seem to deem it an unlistenable sonic mess. Sure, it's a loud album, but it's a solid release. One Little Victory and Earthshine are masterpieces. And Vapor Trail and Out of the Cradle are pretty cool. I'm surprised neither of them were played live. But anyway, yeah. Vapor Trails…

I would have to say Hold Your fire, I feel like Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission, Turn the Page,Prime Mover, Lock and Key, Open secrets and Second nature are all great tracks!

I see generally nothing but praise for HYF here :huh:

Two albums I discovered after returning to Rush:

Power Windows - It's more a concept album than the Rush albums people think are concept albums. I believe Power Windows is the most unique Rush album. It's so original and stand alone in the Rush canon it can take several listens to get across.

Hold Your Fire - I think it has some of Neil's best lyrics and the melodies are solid. And when you really give it a chance Alex shines.

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire by a lot.

I constantly hear this album used in connection with phrases like "went too far", "80s junk pop", "keyboard pop", etc.

It's a masterpiece of song writing. I don't give a damn how many keyboards they used.

• Like 1

For me the two that stand out are

Presto. The album that got me into Rush. Great songs all the way through. Yes, even Superconductor :7up:

Vapor Trails. This one got convicted by the Production Police, and don't even ask Rushgoober what he thinks of it.(Seriously, don't ask him, or this thread will never end :P ) For me OLV was the band's "WE'RE BACK!" anthem and the rest is a great rocking disc.

• Like 4

Presto. The album that got me into Rush. Great songs all the way through. Yes, even Superconductor :7up:

Vapor Trails. This one got convicted by the Production Police, and don't even ask Rushgoober what he thinks of it.(Seriously, don't ask him, or this thread will never end :P ) For me OLV was the band's "WE'RE BACK!" anthem and the rest is a great rocking disc.

Totally agree regarding Vapor Trails. I look back at that album now and realize that they wouldn't be as great of a band if they had never written it. The foundation of their legacy contains that album. Think of it like this. If they had never written it and never came back, how would they be remembered?

Totally agree regarding Vapor Trails. I look back at that album now and realize that they wouldn't be as great of a band if they had never written it. The foundation of their legacy contains that album. Think of it like this. If they had never written it and never came back, how would they be remembered?

Honestly, the production always bothered me. Production aside, it's such a relentless album, I always found it hard to listen to as an "album". The remix changed that - as an album, it's not among my favorite Rush albums, but it's definitely an important Rush album. The remix salvaged the statement.

Different strokes I guess.

I was always pretty blown away by VT. Just listen to Secret Touch or Ghost Rider. If you knew nothing at all about the band or Neil prior to that record, you knew that they had all come back from some huge trial of life by the end of that album. It's so emotional and raw.