Most underrated Rush album?

sfuentes

Overall, I have to say COS is the most forgotten and underrated. I mean, if you haven't listened to COS in a while, pull it out. When I listen to it I am struck by how powerful a sound it has...yet how different a mix of material..The boys really reaching out and trying some things..shedding their ZEPISM as I heard someone say. Definitely a turning point in the RUSH sound, you have to admit.

A close second, PRESTO! Simply some of the simplest,freshest and yet poignant lyrics of all. Musically, not overpowering or unique- hence the forgotten status of this one I fear.Anyway, through the years it's not my favorite - yet, I find myself pulling it out time and time again to hear...

Anagram

The Pass (one of my favorites)

Red Tide

War Paint

Superconductor (I actually heard this on the radio last week)

Just IMHO!

Although, Redstar I have to say Counterparts is probably #3. I didn't really consider it that much underrated because every 2.gif freak I know loves it! However overall (sales, ratings, etc.) it IS underrated.

Another album I love due to the lyrics alone..then the music grabs you..

No one but 2.gif , EH?

I have to go with Presto also.

It's so underrated, it was the 2nd Rush album I bought, and one of the last that I fell in love with. It took almost 10 years to realize what I had been missing out on. I just had never really listened to it.

Now it's one of my favorite albums!

I think CoS and HYF are the most underrated albums. Everything said about CoS in this thread is true. Bastille Day, Lakeside Park, The Fountain, The Necromancer, these are all timeless. The fountain might be my second favorite epic. (1st-Hemispheres)

I couldnt beleive how many people didnt like HYF when i joined the forum! Its such an important album in their career. The 80's were ending and Rush was changing their sound. IMO, it was a more upbeat album than the previous two.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 19 2005, 03:54 PM)
Counterparts is my fav post Signals album... so to me it's way under-rated.

I love COS but I understand why some would not like it.

I agree that Counterparts is extremely underrated. It's so good. So many great songs. yes.gif trink39.gif

Well I will be the first one to say Moving Pictures! I believe this was their biggest lp, but it should have been a lot bigger in my opinion. All us Rush fans love it, but it still doesn't get as much respect overall as many other lesser albums by other "bigger" bands. Greg

I would say that Power Windows is very underrated. I've heard a number of fans talk about too much keyboards when deciding it wasn't as good as other efforts. I think that the lyrics are what really set this album apart. Power Windows gets my vote for their best lyrical album, if nothing else.

Well judging by press and whatever, I'd say Presto is the most underrated... it somehow happens it's one of my faves...

Counterparts is rated quite fairly, I think. I love it and haven't really read anything bad about it.

Generally Russian press says Rush lost it after PoW... well I don't agree. An article in a Rock Encyclopedia puslished by a local influential magazine Rovesnik says T4E is a total disaster... I don't agree again, though it does not move me as much as CP or Presto, or PeW...

I guess I cannot be unbiased since I'm a a fan, - I don't think there's a single bad song written by the guys.

But Presto is definitely overlooked.

Maybe I love it because of the lyrics primarily - I don't know. smile.gif

I agree that COS, HYF (listening to it right now in fact) and Presto are sadly overlooked gems in the studio catalogue, but I also don't understand why Test For Echo is so massively unpopular within the Rush online community. To me it sounds like a spirited record -if I may kindly skip Dog Years and Virtuality, lol... I certainly enjoy it more than Counterparts or Vapor Trails and find myself listening to it on a regular basis.

PRESTO!!!!

I hear of these complaints against the keyboards in some Rush, well, they better thank their lucky stars it wasn't a sax!!! (No offense to sax lovers) wink.gif

I'm even starting to love Rush I used to hate. I cannot understand how anyone could say Presto is terrible, with songs like The Pass and so many more, but I guess it's the eye of the beholder thing again. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Proggy @ Jan 21 2005, 06:13 AM)
I agree that COS, HYF (listening to it right now in fact) and Presto are sadly overlooked gems in the studio catalogue, but I also don't understand why Test For Echo is so massively unpopular within the Rush online community. To me it sounds like a spirited record -if I may kindly skip Dog Years and Virtuality, lol... I certainly enjoy it more than Counterparts or Vapor Trails and find myself listening to it on a regular basis.

Proggy, I agree! I never have understood why T4E gets so many knocks..musically it signalled a return to guitar driven Rush we all love. I totally disregard Dog Years and Totem on that CD..but still play it way more than VT, which I found a bit muddled and disorganized lyrically and musically.. And Counterparts I have always thought has some of the best lyrics...nothing ground breaking musically..but another great Rush record..

IMHO..as always...

It's all RUSH..gotta love it!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

Although, Redstar I have to say Counterparts is probably #3. I didn't really consider it that much underrated because every 2.gif freak I know loves it! However overall (sales, ratings, etc.) it IS underrated.

Another album I love due to the lyrics alone..then the music grabs you..

No one but 2.gif , EH?

Counterparts is a truly great album, on all levels, I like every song. In my top 10 all time Rush albums, just a notch below the classics.

Edited by greg2112

1. Caress of Steel (probably my favorite album, but generally derided)

2. Roll The Bones (killed by the hardcore, this was the first album since MP or Signals that could really be a gateway drug to Rush for the general public).

3. Test for Echo (after Rush's worst album, they keep the sound and put it to much better songs).

Before I became a member here I would have said Caress Of Steel also. According to the crowd here I would have to say :rush: . How could it be rated last out of all their studio recordings if this were not so? No respect around here at least, whatsoever.... :huh: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Before I became a member here I would have said Caress Of Steel also. According to the crowd here I would have to say :rush: . How could it be rated last out of all their studio recordings if this were not so? No respect around here at least, whatsoever.... :huh:

Oh :rush: doesn't come last on my list, it comes second last. Caress of Steel is bottom of the pile for me.

Yeah caress of steel is utterly sublime, all of it, but i'll be regularly playing the fountain of lamneth for the rest of my life, has perfect balance throughout i love this band when they mix hard and soft tempo just right and the fountain absolutely rush perfect.
  • Like 2