Are there any casual Rush fans?

sfuentes

A group of us (6 to be exact - including Nebbish) went to the Birmingham and Manchester shows.

I would describe one of the group to be a casual fan as he owned only one LP! (Moving Pictures) and only liked the early stuff.

I have been at concerts (Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, Status Quo, Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac) and don't have any LPs or CDs by these groups so I suppose that makes me a casual fan - I can listen to them and would watch them in concert but otherwise I can take them or leave them.

P.S. - To fall asleep during 2112 (or any other RUSH song) you would have to be

(a) sitting down and

(cool.gif deaf

Why was he at the concert?

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 29 2004, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Dec 29 2004, 02:20 PM)

I have to know something, who is that hottie in the fourth picture on the bottom of your messages?

For those of you who are interested, they are (from left to right):

Care Blanchett, Jennifer Garner, Sara McLeod, Claudia Christian, Alyson Hannigan and Evangeline Lilly

Ah, Claudia! Nice to see her out of uniform. (in reference to Babylon 5). Pretty hot picture of Alyson too. I never wanted to be a flute so much in my life! laugh.gif

I think the people that are truly fanatic about Rush are ones that really appreciate the quality in their music, and the craft, art and careful thought processes that go into making it. They are never twice the same, and it shows what really great and progressive people their fan base is. The casual fans will probably have Milli Vanilli in their collection somewhere... and will say, I like Rush, the Spirit of The Radio is good... *rolls eyes*

Falling asleep to 2112!! - It's not like they play presentation live, I reckon there must have been a lot of weak arena strenth beer drunk there.

There's no was you can be a casual fan. You can't listen to the music in the background and let it wash over you. If you don't really sit and listen to it, get into the complexity of it then it must sound a bit like lots of frantic playing.

Also here in London you just never hear music like it - very rarely hear rock music, so no-one's gonna just come across it.

But there are some albums that I still can't play note for note on my drums so I guess that makes me a lightwieght casual listener in these parts

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 28 2004, 05:19 PM)
I think most fans are fairly loyal. But there must be casual listeners, who have a CD or three. biggrin.gif

well...i've got uhhh 18 CDs....i'd say definately OBSESSED laugh.gif my friends call me obsessed anyway...i do need more T-shirts...sadly i only have one sad.gif

To use a term from economics, i think casual rush fans exist nominally, not in a real sense. i believe these types of Rush "fans" come about because they are friends and family of people like us. We shove the good stuff down their throats all the time and eventually they may get a soft grasp of what we comprehend so easily. So they say they are fans and of course might own and even listen to a few Rush albums (primarily moving pictures), but for me, i think real Rush fans can smell their own.....and those types of people are not Rush fans. Its all or nothing!!

Very Funny Trees...

You seem a bit of an economics buff; does the fact that there are no casual listeners and only dedicated fans mean that the price is very inelastic ( I mean I'd pay twice as much for my new Rush CD as a regular CD cos I know I'll be listening to it for years)?

If it was possible to restict supply (impossible I know) there'd be a full on bidding war going on... I wonder how much I would actually be willing to pay for a new Rush album - new ipod or new Rush album?

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Dec 28 2004, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Dec 28 2004, 03:45 PM)
Do casual Rush fans even exist ? I'm just wondering, because I've never seen a casual Rush fan before.

I think ultimately you will. He'll be the guy who ends up being the 9th caller at the appropriate time, winning front row seats and M&G passes to Rush's next show, and being completely blase about the whole thing.

While you're on the lawn with your view blocked by a hundred drunk people screaming "Camera Eye!", crying foul, or just plain crying. tongue.gif

couldn't of said it better myself! laugh.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 4 2005, 07:47 PM)
Do casual Rush fans even exist ? I'm just wondering, because I've never seen a casual Rush fan before.

I think ultimately you will. He'll be the guy who ends up being the 9th caller at the appropriate time, winning front row seats and M&G passes to Rush's next show, and being completely blase about the whole thing.

While you're on the lawn with your view blocked by a hundred drunk people screaming "Camera Eye!", crying foul, or just plain crying. tongue.gif

laugh.gif trink39.gif

Hey Big G!!!

yeah i am an economics buff i guess you could say. i am a sophomore in college and i am an economics major. i see your point about the inelasticity of Rush's products when considering my point on Rush fans. Ceteris paribus, if the price of Rush products increased, the amount of sales lost would be far less compared to other groups products at a similar increase in price.

For example if Rush put out a new album and so did say.....Bon Jovi, and they both were priced at about $50, Rush would lose a much smaller percentage in sales than Bon Jovi would. i know that i, and most people on this forum, couldnt think of a better thing to spend our money on than a new Rush album. But people who like Bon Jovi probably would not find it worth it to spend that kind of money on a new album.

To close this point, it should be made clear that there are no substitutes for Rush; they are one of a kind!!

QUOTE (thetrees @ Jan 5 2005, 02:36 PM)
i see your point about the inelasticity of Rush's products when considering my point on Rush fans. Ceteris paribus, if the price of Rush products increased, the amount of sales lost would be far less compared to  other groups products at a similar increase in price.

For example if Rush put out a new album and so did say.....Bon Jovi, and they both were priced at about $50, Rush would lose a much smaller percentage in sales than Bon Jovi would. i know that i, and most people on this forum, couldnt think of a better thing to spend our money on than a new Rush album. But people who like Bon Jovi probably would not find it worth it to spend that kind of money on a new album.

To close this point, it should be made clear that there are no substitutes for Rush; they are one of a kind!!

I agree with You,a Rush record is a unique product its price is very inelastic.

But for Ipod the speech is the same,even though it is an expensive device,once you have it you can't imagine your life without it cheer.gif

there are no substitutes for Rush

Very good rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Get writing that full disertation on Rush-onomics. A Nobel prize could be yours for finding that international price differentials on Rush CD are in fact the bedrock of exchange rates.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 4 2005, 04:47 PM)

This person called in to my local radio station last summer & won that exact prize. They told her she won front row & a meet & greet her answer:

oh.....good

I about went thru the roof

My suspicion is that there may be casual fans in Canada/US, where there are stations that play Rush, whereas in Ireland and the UK, Rush gets little or no airplay, so anyone I've ever met that likes them has 18 plus albums/CDs and can airdrum Overture perfectly.

That's about five people, but you get the drift biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Love the economic analogies BTW - We must plot the supernormal proifit graphs based on the supply/demand relationship assumed in the inelasticicity theory, which I would tend to support.

Just got into Rush again 3 months ago, only own 8 Rush CDs

Am I a casual fan?........Nope i'm obssesed alright!

Archived