First Rush song you ever heard

NeilPeartFan2112

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Sawyer. I remember thinking it was the weirdest thing I'd ever heard, and wondering who that girl singing was!

I feel so ashamed now tongue.gif

It was a natural reaction because my friends were listening to it and I am never into the kind of music they are. It wasn't until my companies yearly concert that I truly came to know and understand the musical genius of Rush.

tongue.gif this is a good thread

ummm...i think it was the trees. my dad had retrospective I and played it when i was like 10 or 11...sadly, i liked boy bands, or nickelback, or some crap at the time, and didnt like it...it wasnt until about a year later i started liking them.

stupid boybands mad.gif

Heh...this is easy. I even remember where I was.

I was 15, year 1978. Place: Fielden Park College in Withington, Manchester, England. We used to go there on Weds and Fridays for Photography classes which was an arts option for O-Levels. I used to take my cassette recorder/player along with some tapes. My mate brought a cassette of Farewell to Kings and asked me to listen to it. So the very first track I ever heard was A Farewell to Kings. biggrin.gif

....been hooked ever since.

I think I've told this story before, elsewhere, on the board.

The first thing I heard by Rush was Hemispheres: Prelude sometime in late 79 and hated it due to the really poor quality of the tape - it was just an aural mess.

The first thing I properly heard was Overture a few weeks later and was blown away.

The Trees. I was a kid and hated everything remotely rock. My brother on the other hand was a maniac (he was 5) and all he listened to was Rush and Colin James. laugh.gif While I'm not sure The Trees was the first song I heard, it was the only one I liked (I was into classical music at the time and liked the acoustic intro, the rest was heavy metal to me)

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 29 2004, 01:52 AM)
Closer to the Heart.

It was a K-tel commercial for rock compilations. I was around 6 years old. I think it was a commercial break from Brady Bunch.

I thought to myself, that weird looking man can sing very high.

That reminds of the first time I saw a picture of the band. It was the back of the 2112 album and I didn't read the sleeve notes for a while and, for some reason, thought that alex was Geddy because only people with blonde hair had high voices doh.gif

This story has also been told elswhere, but:

By-Tor and the Snow Dog, on the radio in 1975. Had recorded it without knowing who sang it. Heard that Rush was a great band, and bought their latest release Fly by Night. Recognised the singer's voice from somewhere, and finally realized the match - very excited. Since then, every new album release has been a precious moment.

It was not until 1983, though, that they really suddenly stood out to me as THE greatest band of them all, but that is a different (and very exciting) story...

The Companion

For me it was Spirit of Radio. It was being played in a co-workers car that I was getting a ride from. He was also telling me how lakeside park was one of his favorite songs because his birthday is on the 24th of May. As for the song, I was hooked. I bought Roll the Bones the very next day. ( they didn't have Permanent Waves where I was shopping.)

Archived