First Rush song you ever heard

NeilPeartFan2112

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1999 I was a Dream Theater fan and I read somewhere that they took inspiration from Rush,so I was curious and I listened to The Trees and Freewill.

I immediately realized that they were great so I bought Retrospective 1.

A wrong purchase,because within some months I bought all their Cds of their gold period,from Caress of Steel to Moving pictures.

Album : Fly by Night

Song : Anthem

My mate put on the album, totally hooked. As soon as I heard Anthem, he was talking to me and all I had in my head was who the hell is this band. The album just got better with each track. Once it got to By Tor, I was thinking of how I could borrow this and just take it home NOW!

EDIT: Sorry I thought you meant Album.

I had heard Spirit of Radio as it was in the charts and thought it wasn't bad.

Some time later I picked up the album Permanent Waves and on the the strength of SOR, had a listen - the rest is history!

I was also suprised to find that the vocalist was not a girl!

I lived in VA in '74 and my friends older sister got this "Rush" lp from a friend for Christmas and her brothers and I heard her playing it loud on her stero and came in on track one, Finding My Way, which she then restarted for us, and we heard it thru to the end of side two! I really liked it a lot, but when FBN came out, I was hooked and have been ever since. I've had a few lean Rush years of concerts (due to 2 ex-wives!) but I got every lp the day it came out (or thereabout) and saw them as often as I could! I consider myself fortunate to have been able to have heard them "since the beginning," so to speak. cool.gif

The first time I remember consciously hearing a song knowing it was Rush was the first time I heard Limelight and the DJ announcing after the song that it was Rush. I thought, "that's a pretty cool song" and the rest, as they say, is history cool.gif

I was exposed to the music of Rush by my best friend back in the late eighties, while I hang at her place every now and then, but none of it stuck in my mind, and so when I got into Rush myself a little bit over a year ago, all of their the music sounded completely new to me. Thus I think of the title track from Hemis as being the first song I heard from the band -or at least listened to with interest! The funny thing is, that very track has since evoked memories within me, of evenings spent in my friend's room and having it playing in the background. Now I can actually recall it so that's kind of cool. smile.gif

The first Rush song I ever heard, or atleast remember hearing was Tom Sawyer... but for some reason, when ever I listen to Subdivisions, I have almost like a flash back of me being like 5 years old, and my family is driving back home from Montreal... but I don't know if it was actually that song

Tom Sawyer was the first Rush song I ever heard. I heard it on the radio. A few days later, a US Air Force band came to our high school & did a bunch of cover songs & they played Tom Sawyer(They did a good job on it too). After I bought MP, I was hook on 2.gif !!! Hearing that song also made me take up the bass.

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Jan 2 2005, 08:26 PM)
Tom Sawyer was the first Rush song I ever heard. I heard it on the radio. A few days later, a US Air Force band came to our high school & did a bunch of cover songs & they played Tom Sawyer(They did a good job on it too). After I bought MP, I was hook on 2.gif !!! Hearing that song also made me take up the bass.

Welcome to the board! trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 2 2005, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Jan 2 2005, 08:26 PM)
Tom Sawyer was the first Rush song I ever heard. I heard it on the radio. A few days later, a  US Air Force band came to our high school & did a bunch of cover songs & they played Tom Sawyer(They did a good job on it too). After I bought MP, I was hook on  2.gif !!! Hearing that song also made me take up the bass.

Welcome to the board! trink39.gif

Welcome! trink39.gif trink38.gif trink36.gif cheer.gif 1287.gif common001.gif joker.gif 653.gif

It was either Tom Sawyer or YYZ. I remember YYZ being my favorite though, and thinking it was the coolest song ever. cool.gif

Oh god...It was either Fly by Night or Tom Sawyer. I remember hearing them when i was little...I always though Geddy was a girl (sounded) rofl3.gif

But my stupid child thoughts are gone biggrin.gif

Archived