Tesla

That'll do for a minute

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohh, and Peter Frampton.

QUOTE (plodder @ Dec 28 2004, 05:21 AM)
Old Marillion

definitely....'New' Marillion is what happens to a band that changes it icon....the singer. They may as well have called them something else after Fish went.

...oh, and I forgot ELP too...Brain Salad Sugery, classic

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 28 2004, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (plodder @ Dec 28 2004, 05:21 AM)
Old Marillion

definitely....'New' Marillion is what happens to a band that changes it icon....the singer. They may as well have called them something else after Fish went.

...oh, and I forgot ELP too...Brain Salad Sugery, classic

I don't dislike the Hogarth era marillion, they just don't grab me as much as the Fish era did.

Still, its better than what Collins did to Genesis after Gabriel left.

Rush will always be numero uno in my book. Okay, that being said, what about AC DC you wankers! It's okay I've calmed down now. Other faves include of course Floyd, Joe Satriani, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble with brother Jimmy Vaughn as well, Boston, U2, Eric Clapton and.... more later! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Sark @ Dec 28 2004, 03:02 PM)
Rush will always be numero uno in my book. Okay, that being said, what about AC DC you wankers! It's okay I've calmed down now. Other faves include of course Floyd, Joe Satriani, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble with brother Jimmy Vaughn as well, Boston, U2, Eric Clapton and.... more later! 1022.gif

AC/DC - OK, I suppose, if you like the same song repeated ad nauseum

I had quite a few groups similar to Slaine's but I have to include AC/DC. Yes, their music is fairly repetitive but they have produced some great rockers.

I received the RUSH book Contents Under Pressure for Christmas and noticed that the group's early influences were similar to the older groups mentioned by most fans so far.

Mine are a mixture of progressive / rock / heavy rock and include

Yes, Genesis, ELP, AC/DC, UFO, Boston, Heart, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Magnum, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, early Queen but by far the top two, for whom I would have gone to any lengths to see live were

The Who (with Keith Moon) and RUSH (with Neil Peart)

Incidentally while reading the book last night, I had the urge to play the LP's Exit Stage Left and Seconds Out (Genesis) - brought back a lot of memories!

While listing my favourite groups, it made me think of the radio show which played a lot of them here in the UK.

Who remembers Alan (Fluff) Freeman's show in the afternnon between 3 and 5 p.m pre 1975. He always featured Boston (More than a feeling) and ELP (Hoedown).

I've also remembered that I omitted The Police and Rory Gallagher

Oh Man! Those of you that dont listen to new music are really missing out! There is some amazing stuff out there it just isnt being played on the radio really. Some of these bands are classics already and havent made it to the big time yet.

I listen to sooooooo much music and love all kinds of differant stuff. I will list what i regularly listen to.

Pink Floyd

Janes Addiction

Bauhaus

The Cramps

Led Zeppelin

SRV

Primus

Older Metallica

DRI

Depeche Mode

Duran Duran

Weezer

Violent Femmes

Beatles

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Minor Threat

Social Distortion

Sex Pistols

Ted Nugent

Yes

GBH

New Music- I highly suggest giving these bands a listen to. They are very strong bands that deserve your time.

The Secert Machines- Amazing 3 man band! A new cross of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Also a bit progressive, songs lasting about 9 minutes! Great Rock!

The Weakerthans- A off the beaten course rock,emo, weird band from Canada. Soom of their songs are a bit on the pop side but mostly an awesome band. Songs with titles like: A Plea From A Cat Named Virtue, Watermark, Psalm From The Elks Lodge. Some odd stuff! Talented Guys! Not your run of the mill pop band! I cant even say who they sound like, they are very unique.

Division Of Laura Lee- A great band from Sweden. They too are a unique sounding band. I heard alot of their music before I saw a video of them and I was surprised at how much the lead singer is NOT your typical leading front man. Actually he is more or less on the fugly side lol. But they can play some good music.

Hey Mercedes- A Chicago area band who is a cross between rock and an even newer version of punk rock. They arent not your typical Good Charlotte/ Simple Plan band. This band has their stuff and their talent together. With only their second album just being released they are touring all over. Another band worth a listen and your time.

22-20s- What can I say about this HIGHLY under rated band! This band Rocks! An older type of rock too. Hailing from England they are the epitomy of what new Classic Rock is and what it should be. They sound like a band that should have been on the From Dusk Till Dawn soundtrack. This is a band that will blow you away!

Honorable mentions- Hot Rod Circuit, Hot Water Music, The Stills ( yes the rest of the music on the album is differant) and Pulley.

All of the new music can be found on Yahoo Launch, videos are best as you can listen to them right away. Give them a listen and be suprised!

Old school here, hate the new stuff.

RUSH

Loudness <--most underrated band ever

(Early) Judas Priest

(Early) Aerosmith

Thin Lizzy

Pink FLoyd

UFO

Metal Church

AC/DC

Stryper

The Cars

Queen

Peter Frampton

Styx

Zeppelin

Saxon

Triumph

(Early) REO Speedwagon

The only band I like since Nirvana changed the face of music is:

Collective Soul

Rush is my favorite band but here are few of the other bands that usually find their way into my cd player:

-pink floyd

-yes

-nightwish

-dream theater

-coheed and cambria

-joe satriani

-mudvayne

-death cab for cutie

-jimmy eat world

Ok, I feel really stupid about my exclusion of Iron Maiden, I was into them before I was into Rush. Anyway, lets get myself a nice long list and reconcile that mistake...

Other favorites.....

Pink Floyd (this includes Roger's solo career)

The Who

Nine Inch Nails

Iron Maiden

Jethro Tull

Yes

The Beatles

Radiohead

The Doors

David Bowie

King Crimson

Queen

Smashing Pumpkins

Guns N' Roses

Stone Temple Pilots (and Velvet Revolver consequently)

Sublime

Nirvana

Marillion (though I've only heard Marbles..)

Led Zepellin

Queensryche

ok.. thats long enough, you get the gist of it, all over the place.

Edit) updated with a longer list tongue.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 28 2004, 10:53 AM)
Rush will always be numero uno in my book.  Okay, that being said, what about AC DC you wankers! It's okay I've calmed down now. Other faves include of course Floyd, Joe Satriani, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble with brother Jimmy Vaughn as well, Boston, U2, Eric Clapton and.... more later! 1022.gif

Yes, I suppose I have to concede the fact that they don't re-invent themselves like Rush does, but they have made some classic rock songs. Besides, sometimes you just get in an AC DC type of mood and just want to ROCK! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Sark @ Dec 28 2004, 10:07 AM)
Rush will always be numero uno in my book.  Okay, that being said, what about AC DC you wankers! It's okay I've calmed down now. Other faves include of course Floyd, Joe Satriani, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble with brother Jimmy Vaughn as well, Boston, U2, Eric Clapton and.... more later! 1022.gif

Yes, I suppose I have to concede the fact that they don't re-invent themselves like Rush does, but they have made some classic rock songs. Besides, sometimes you just get in an AC DC type of mood and just want to ROCK! 1022.gif

I own 2 AC/DC cds, but dont think its necissary to buy any more. All anyone has to do is turn on to any classic rock station, they are always a staple. I hear more AC/DC on the radio then I can shake a stick at.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 28 2004, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Dec 28 2004, 10:07 AM)

I own 2 AC/DC cds, but dont think its necissary to buy any more. All anyone has to do is turn on to any classic rock station, they are always a staple. I hear more AC/DC on the radio then I can shake a stick at.

True, but they always seem to stick to just 3 or 4 songs. They have some good deep track songs that never seem to make their way to the air waves.

I'm not knocking anyone for liking AC/DC but, to be honest, they just bore the hell out of me and, I must admit, I found them very tedious when I saw them live.

I always remember seeing a very dismissive review of Back in Black in a mainstream music mag (I think it was something like Smash Hits) which someone brought into school for me. The review featured the AC/DC checklist which held true for any album. I can't remember the details, but I do remember that me and a friend found that it was applicable for every AC/DC album up until them.

However, my main antagonism towards AC/DC remains from my school days when the general opinion was that if you didn't like AC/DC, you weren't a proper rock fan. I'm afriad that being told I've got to like something tends to plant a life long aversion to something. In addition, all the AC/DC fans at my school spent more of their time slagging Rush then they did new Romantic bands like Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet which did nothing to ease my dislike.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 28 2004, 01:21 PM)
I'm not knocking anyone for liking AC/DC but, to be honest, they just bore the hell out of me and, I must admit, I found them very tedious when I saw them live.

I always remember seeing a very dismissive review of Back in Black in a mainstream music mag (I think it was something like Smash Hits) which someone brought into school for me. The review featured the AC/DC checklist which held true for any album. I can't remember the details, but I do remember that me and a friend found that it was applicable for every AC/DC album up until them.

However, my main antagonism towards AC/DC remains from my school days when the general opinion was that if you didn't like AC/DC, you weren't a proper rock fan. I'm afriad that being told I've got to like something tends to plant a life long aversion to something. In addition, all the AC/DC fans at my school spent more of their time slagging Rush then they did new Romantic bands like Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet which did nothing to ease my dislike.

Well, I'm the exception to the rule. I would never knock Rush just to fit in with an AC DC crowd. They just found a niche in my music collection. There are other bands on my list that I do like better quite frankly. I was just surprised no one had posted them as a favorite until I did.

I've noticed that nobody has cited Fates Warning so far.

And it's quite astonishing because imo they are the real heirs of Rush.

Like Rush they always have the courage to try something new,even though it can disappoint their old fans.

Also their lyrics are very stimulating.

Their masterpiece is definitely A Pleasant shade of grey,but also Disconnected and Parallels are very good.Their last album,FWX is good,but not as much as the others I've mentioned.

Other bands I like:

Pain of Salvation:they merge prog with modern sound with excellent results.

Opeth: their contrast between metal and mellow parts is very intriguing.

And Porcupine Tree,Yes,Queensryche,U2,Smiths,Pink Floyd,Dave Matthews Band,Freak Kitchen and many others as well.

Here's a list of some more bands I like:

GnR

Metallica (Pre-Black Album only)

Maiden

Queensryche (Only heard Operation Mindcrime though)

Stones (60s and 70s only)

Beatles (mainly lateperiod, but it's all good)

Bowie

Sabbath

Doors

Jethro Tull

King Crimson

ELP (Havent heard much though)

Cream

Hendrix

I could probably think of more but I don't feel like it right now.

QUOTE (Margana @ Dec 28 2004, 11:28 AM)
I had quite a few groups similar to Slaine's but I have to include AC/DC. Yes, their music is fairly repetitive but they have produced some great rockers.
I received the RUSH book Contents Under Pressure for Christmas and noticed that the group's early influences were similar to the older groups mentioned by most fans so far.
Mine are a mixture of progressive / rock / heavy rock and include
Yes, Genesis, ELP, AC/DC, UFO, Boston, Heart, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Magnum, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, early Queen but by far the top two, for whom I would have gone to any lengths to see live were

The Who (with Keith Moon) and RUSH (with Neil Peart)

Incidentally while reading the book last night, I had the urge to play the LP's Exit Stage Left and Seconds Out (Genesis) - brought back a lot of memories!

ah...Margana...I see that you have found us - good to have on board!!

Long time since Manchester & Birmingham eh? with all those yummy yummy pints! trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

Anyway..

Zeppelin, Floyd, SRV, Clapton, Neil Young, Dylan, Deep Purple, Jeff Healey, Rory Gallagher, AC/DC, CSN, Ten Years After, Del Amitri, Crowded House, U2, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, Hendrix, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac (more so with Peter Green), Gary Moore, Beatles....and some I haven't mentioned yet!!!! wink.gif

Archived