other music you like besides rush

curious to see what other bands you guys like other than rush.

mine:

incubus

audioslave (somewhat)

stevie ray vaughan (listening to him right now)

guns n' roses

ill list more if i think of them.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 27 2004, 11:20 PM)
Rush is pretty much the only thing I listen to, but The Who and Led Zeppelinare some other bands I might pop in once in awhile. I mainly listen to classic rock. Can't seem to get into this new age stuff.

yeah, most mainstream rock is for the most part, talentless and unoriginal, IMO. there are a few really great mainstream rock bands that distinguish themselves from the rest, but not a lot. everything is just too commercial, its ruining music sad.gif

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Dec 27 2004, 11:54 PM)
Rush is pretty much the only thing I listen to, but The Who and Led Zeppelinare some other bands I might pop in once in awhile.  I mainly listen to classic rock.  Can't seem to get into this new age stuff.

yeah, most mainstream rock is for the most part, talentless and unoriginal, IMO. there are a few really great mainstream rock bands that distinguish themselves from the rest, but not a lot. everything is just too commercial, its ruining music sad.gif

Damn right. All of these bands these days just make music the way others want them to so they can get the money and be big with teens because they know that they will buy all of their merchandise and things of that sort. The thing that I like most about Rush is that they are original, and they make music the way they want to and not the way anyone else wants them to. Rush does so many good things that other bands don't do, and still they get almost no attention and no respect from majority of the public. Although, I am kind of glad that they didn't get caught in the MTV world. They would probably have stoppd making music the way that they always had, and that would have shot me down right away, and most likely all of the other fans in the world. Let's just be thankful that Rush is where they are today, and we can still listen to all of their great music and rock on forever! yes.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 28 2004, 12:00 AM)
Rush is pretty much the only thing I listen to, but The Who and Led Zeppelinare some other bands I might pop in once in awhile.  I mainly listen to classic rock.  Can't seem to get into this new age stuff.

Damn right. All of these bands these days just make music the way others want them to so they can get the money and be big with teens because they know that they will buy all of their merchandise and things of that sort. The thing that I like most about Rush is that they are original, and they make music the way they want to and not the way anyone else wants them to. Rush does so many good things that other bands don't do, and still they get almost no attention and no respect from majority of the public. Although, I am kind of glad that they didn't get caught in the MTV world. They would probably have stoppd making music the way that they always had, and that would have shot me down right away, and most likely all of the other fans in the world. Let's just be thankful that Rush is where they are today, and we can still listen to all of their great music and rock on forever! yes.gif 1022.gif

agreed 1022.gif im glad rush makes music however they feel like it, thats the best way to go IMO cool.gif

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Dec 28 2004, 12:07 AM)
Rush is pretty much the only thing I listen to, but The Who and Led Zeppelinare some other bands I might pop in once in awhile. I mainly listen to classic rock. Can't seem to get into this new age stuff.

agreed 1022.gif im glad rush makes music however they feel like it, thats the best way to go IMO cool.gif

You bet. Couldn't agree with you more! 1022.gif cool.gif trink39.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 28 2004, 12:08 AM)
QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Dec 28 2004, 12:07 AM)

You bet. Couldn't agree with you more! 1022.gif cool.gif trink39.gif 1287.gif

too bad there arent more people that realize how bad most mainstream can be laugh.gif

Voivod, Primus

Porcupine Tree (haven't heard much though)

Iron Maiden

Lots of classic rock bands...Yes, Who, Zep, Floyd, Queen, Aerosmith, etc.

And some newer bands too...Green Day, Nirvana, Tool, NIN, The Mars Volta...

Lately I've been getting into the Police as well...also Kate Bush.

Lots of great music out there. Rush is my favourite though.

ah yes, green day is pretty good, although i find some of their stuff gets repetitive.

Lemme see, I am definatly into the older stuff more so then a lot of todays bands. I am finding it very hard to think up more then 1 band that has formed in the last 5 years that are worth buying an album of..

Some classic rock favorites include Pink Floyd, The Who, Jethro Tull, Yes, The Beatles, David Bowie.

Some newer favorites include Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, Nirvana. Mars Volta really isnt a bad listen to either, I am looking forward to seeing them live next year.

1. john Frusciante- although he plays in the chili peppers, his solo stuff is far away from mainstream. In fact, I would say I like his stuff as much as rush.

2. Red Hot chili Peppers- could be lumped into mainstream however, no one else sounds like 'em. some of the best albums of the last 15 years

3. The Beatles- don't need to say too much.

4. Aerosmith- sometimes I just need to rock to some blues funk rock just push play was not too good though.

5. Guns N' Roses- carnk to 10 and leave it. when these guys were in controll they knew how to make some great songs.

honorable mentions

U2

The Who

Reo Speedwagon

Fat Sally

styx

i also somewhat like santana, although i havent heard much...los lonely boys, and the red hot chili peppers are pretty good. john fruscante MIGHT be influenced by stevie ray, some of their songs song somewhat similar, which is cool. i know slash is.

Los Lonely Boys aren't bad. Same with Santana.

I'm more into the power metal genre. Bands like Kamelot, Nightwish, Dream Evil, Iced Earth, Sonota Arctica, Rammstein, Rhapsody, Winterfell and Fear and Wonder are who I usually listen to when I'm not listening to Rush.

Well hmm I Listen To older Metallica ,SOcial Disrotion ,Johnny Cash ,Nine Inch Nails,Rage Against The Machine,Korn, I love to Listen To TOOL i recommend them definatly not a trendy band. Then i love to listen to Santana ,Ska-P, The Beatles ,The DOORS, and Definatly the EAGLES there soo much more but im too lazy to list them

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Dec 28 2004, 12:55 AM)
i also somewhat like santana, although i havent heard much...los lonely boys, and the red hot chili peppers are pretty good. john fruscante MIGHT be influenced by stevie ray, some of their songs song somewhat similar, which is cool. i know slash is.

john is influenced by a lot but I have never hear him mention srv however he has mentioned hendrix many times and there are similarities between srv and jimi.

Rush are by far the top of the list for me but, in addition, I'm quite partial to:

Marillion (Fish era especially)

Genesis (Gabriel era)

ELP

Jethro Tull

Magnum (pre Vigilante)

Skin (the UK band not the ex-Skunk Ananse vocalist)

Hawkwind

Diamond Head

Peter Gabriel

Aerosmith (particularly the early stuff)

UFO

The Levellers

ZZ Top (pre-Elliminator)

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Queen

The Kinks

The Rolling Stones

The Beatles

The Small Faces

The Who

Hawkwind biggrin.gif

Aerosmith

Def Leppard biggrin.gif

Little Angels biggrin.gif

Yes

Pink Floyd biggrin.gif

Marillion

Kula Shaker biggrin.gif

Bon Jovi

ELO

Genesis

Dire Straits

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush biggrin.gif

Meatloaf

Bryan Adams

Heart

Boston

Blue Oyster Cult

Status Quo

Alanis Morissette

Deep Purple

Whitesnake

Rainbow

Neil Young & Crazy Horse

Manic Street Preachers

Shed 7

Oasis

Lightning Seeds

so not so many.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 28 2004, 04:51 AM)
doh.gif How could I forget Pink Floyd bd.gif

You... bd.gif ...will... bd.gif ...remember.... bd.gif ...Pink.... bd.gif ...Floyd

Archived