New recording from The Digital Men

_pete_

It took a while to finish this one up. Everybody has been real busy but I think this is good enough to call finished. This is one of the last of Rush's more "standard" tunes. We're going to do some of the lesser known stuff next.

I originally recorded all the guitar parts with my Fender MIJ Strat but I didn't like the sound and some of the parts so I re-recorded everything except the guitar solo.

The guitar here is the Epi Sheraton II. I think it comes very, very close to the guitar tone on the original recording. Most of the track is the zenTera's 100W Marshall Plexi, the clean part is a Fender Twin setting. All guitar parts were recorded direct to the computer running Audacity.

For those that don't know, this band only exists in cyberspace. We all live in different states (one of us is in Canada) and all the recording is done over the internet.

Please give me your feedback.

The Spirit of Radio

All the songs we have done can be found here.

Congratulations Pete you really nailed the guitar part, it sounded almost identicle. The voice was reasonable as were the drums. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I must be lost because this is the first time I have heard any of this project. wacko.gif

Sounds good guys.

Can you tell me a little about the long distance recording process.

How does the file exchange work?

Are you all using the same method to record?

How are the final tracks assembled?

Who does the final mix?

Just curious how it all comes together.

Oh, and which "usernames" on TRF are members of this project?

Thanks

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 29 2007, 02:16 PM)
I must be lost because this is the first time I have heard any of this project. wacko.gif
Sounds good guys.
Can you tell me a little about the long distance recording process.
How does the file exchange work?
Are you all using the same method to record?
How are the final tracks assembled?
Who does the final mix?

Just curious how it all comes together.
Oh, and which "usernames" on TRF are members of this project?
Thanks

Thanks, much of our stuff is still a "work in progress" but it's coming together. Limelight and Xanadu are the ones I'm most proud of. This one I'm happy with also.

Freewill and Red Barchetta are not yet finished.

Drums are by KirkDS who I know you've seen around here.

Vocals, keys, bass, mixdown, and everything else is Dr. Raven. I don't know if he posts here much but he does post on the Counterparts forum.

Our other bassist, Ben, doesn't post here to my knowledge.

We upload our parts via FTP to Andy's (Dr. Raven's) server and he assembles things from there.

The way it works is that Kirk does his drum track first, I usually do the guitar track using his drum track along with the original as a guide track. I usually keep the rhythm, lead, and other parts on separate tracks so Andy can eq and mix them as needed. The guitars are usually at least double tracked. Most times I'll also add a 3rd track of clean guitar just to add a "sparkle" to the tone.

Ben then does his bass tracks and then Andy will do his parts and a few rough mixes which we all critique and suggest where improvements need to be made. The whole process can take some time since everyone has their lives to attend to.

All of us use different recording software which is working for us but sometimes can cause some glitches in timing. That is usually easily fixed though.

QUOTE (spitball @ Aug 29 2007, 09:26 AM)
Pete, how exactly did you record that main guitar? What amp settings and effects? I would like to set my PODxt to get something similar, even if it's a bit inferior. The tone you got is stellar!

This was all trial and error (mostly error) until it sounded right.

I originally did the whole song with a Strat (as Alex did) but it just didn't sound right. I started over but kept the solo.

I just replied to your PM as far as amp settings and all that.

smile.gif

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Aug 29 2007, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (spitball @ Aug 29 2007, 09:26 AM)
Pete, how exactly did you record that main guitar?  What amp settings and effects?  I would like to set my PODxt to get something similar, even if it's a bit inferior.  The tone you got is stellar!

This was all trial and error (mostly error) until it sounded right.

I originally did the whole song with a Strat (as Alex did) but it just didn't sound right. I started over but kept the solo.

I just replied to your PM as far as amp settings and all that.

smile.gif

Thanks Pete, got your PM. That should be helpful enough!

As for the original SOR, I was under the impression that the solo was played on a Strat and the main guitar was the 355. Oh well, whatever...

QUOTE (spitball @ Aug 29 2007, 03:07 PM)
As for the original SOR, I was under the impression that the solo was played on a Strat and the main guitar was the 355. Oh well, whatever...

Really? I hadn't heard that but it does sound like it to me.

I had always thought it was the white Strat. I remember reading that before. In fact the solo was said to be the first recorded guitar solo with a Floyd Rose (EVH didn't use one until the 3rd album).

If it was the 355 & the Strat, then I just lucked into getting it right.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 29 2007, 07:30 PM)
Another great performance from TGM. I envy you pete. You really have the spirit of Alex within you. Great job all around.

I wish!

Thanks man!

Hey, did you get your package yet?

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Aug 29 2007, 04:49 PM)
Another great performance from TGM.  I envy you pete.  You really have the spirit of Alex within you.  Great job all around.

I wish!

Thanks man!

Yeah I did. Sorry for not communicating that to you....that was rude of me.

I actually dropped off everything today at Advanced Guitar. A very nice guy named Jim is going to do the routing and mounting for me as well as setting the guitar up with 9's, replacing the crappy tuners with some Grovers and replacing the crappy nut with a graphite nut.

Thanks again. I can't wait to play it. I hope you get to play it some day. Maybe when Counterparts hits Vegas? wink.gif

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Aug 29 2007, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (spitball @ Aug 29 2007, 03:07 PM)
As for the original SOR, I was under the impression that the solo was played on a Strat and the main guitar was the 355.  Oh well, whatever...

Really? I hadn't heard that but it does sound like it to me.

I had always thought it was the white Strat. I remember reading that before. In fact the solo was said to be the first recorded guitar solo with a Floyd Rose (EVH didn't use one until the 3rd album).

If it was the 355 & the Strat, then I just lucked into getting it right.

Says here it was the strat.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 29 2007, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (_pete_ @ Aug 29 2007, 04:49 PM)
Another great performance from TGM.  I envy you pete.  You really have the spirit of Alex within you.  Great job all around.

I wish!

Thanks man!

Yeah I did. Sorry for not communicating that to you....that was rude of me.

I actually dropped off everything today at Advanced Guitar. A very nice guy named Jim is going to do the routing and mounting for me as well as setting the guitar up with 9's, replacing the crappy tuners with some Grovers and replacing the crappy nut with a graphite nut.

Thanks again. I can't wait to play it. I hope you get to play it some day. Maybe when Counterparts hits Vegas? wink.gif

It's cool. People get busy sometimes.

I hope it works out well. I want to see pics and maybe hear a clip of it when it's done, ok?

I wish we'd do some traveling. I really miss the days I was playing full time.

Edited by _pete_

There were a few loose moments, but overall it was a very VERY nice job. Loved the guitar solo. The singer is fantastic. Felt like it was dragging a bit at the end, but that's probably because I'm so used to a drummer that played that song a "little" fast wink.gif.

Well done.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Aug 29 2007, 08:16 PM)
There were a few loose moments, but overall it was a very VERY nice job. Loved the guitar solo. The singer is fantastic. Felt like it was dragging a bit at the end, but that's probably because I'm so used to a drummer that played that song a "little" fast wink.gif.

Well done.

Yeah the bass player just pointed out a few spots that the bass & drums weren't synced exactly. Andy was concentrating on lining up the new guitar tracks.

With the way we do this, it's a tough job to sync all the individual tracks but it will be fixed in short order.

The tempo is exactly the same as the original track, we use it as a guide track to record our parts.

Thanks for all the comments guys!!

Edited by _pete_

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 29 2007, 08:10 PM)

He could certainly be right, although there are a few mistakes in that wrtie-up. He says the lead on Tom Sawyer was played on the Howard Roberts. The Le Studio video shows Alex playing the black ES-345 for that solo. I think he also neglects to mention the sunburst ES-345, which was used extensively on the Hemi tour. But I was not in the studio handing Alex his guitars, so I will shut up now. wink.gif

QUOTE (spitball @ Aug 29 2007, 10:43 PM)

He could certainly be right, although there are a few mistakes in that wrtie-up. He says the lead on Tom Sawyer was played on the Howard Roberts. The Le Studio video shows Alex playing the black ES-345 for that solo. I think he also neglects to mention the sunburst ES-345, which was used extensively on the Hemi tour. But I was not in the studio handing Alex his guitars, so I will shut up now. wink.gif

You can't use those music videos as references for what guitars he used. He could have grabbed the 345 because he thought it would look cool in the video. He may very well have used the Howard Roberts for the "Tom Sawyer" solo.

"The black Strat now featured a very early Floyd Rose tremolo.

No locking nut was installed, rather, Alex used powdered graphite in the string slots to keep friction down.

Also, A Gibson humbucking pickup was installed in the bridge position.

This guitar was used on "The Spirit of Radio", and the lead on "Different Strings""

I think I remember Alex saying that the strat was first used on Spirit for the arpeggiated parts but the 355 was also used for the rest. Note the quote from the posted link that says used on Spirit and the lead for Different Strings.

Geek me!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 29 2007, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (spitball @ Aug 29 2007, 10:43 PM)

You can't use those music videos as references for what guitars he used. He could have grabbed the 345 because he thought it would look cool in the video. He may very well have used the Howard Roberts for the "Tom Sawyer" solo.

I would think the music video is the best source of all to go by. They were 100% on in that video, and I firmly believe it was the actual final take of the song. There is no compelling reason for them to videotape alternate versions of the song using supposedly cooler-looking guitars.

I guess this is a really frivolous thing to argue about! smile.gif And maybe NOW I'll shut up..? doh.gif

Edited by spitball