Oh wtf....my lame attempt at Freewill

There have been some cool Rush cover recordings posted here from total beginners to seasoned musicians. I (seriously) feel that I am closer to the former, though I have been tweezing away with guitars for many years.

Annnyway, I have been trying my hand at recording with a PODxt into Reaper software on my PC.

Here is the beginning of Freewill, with a few mistakes and finally F-ing it up before 1:30. But this is FUN!!!!

clip: FREEWILL

Oh, the guitar used is my beloved '67 ES-335!

http://home.att.net/~njsignals/es335/top_side.jpg

nice man....

i am the begginer around here.....but from a listeners point of view....

Not that i should be talking...

the only thing i have to say is that you should choke your mistakes quicker.

other than that it was great

Your guitar sounds alomost identicall to the studio version..

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Thanks a bunch fellas! 1001001, I would like to get this song down someday, so I'd take any help I could get with chords and such. And yes, the tempo does drift...I should play along with the CD to keep things even.

Analogkid, I'm not sure what you meant by choking mistakes quicker. If you meant that complete stop at one point, I actually started a second take right there, but I couldn't figure out how to edit out those couple of seconds of dead air. As difficult as a guitar is to me, I find recording to be even more baffling!

Edited by spitball

QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 27 2007, 10:40 PM)
Nice guitar. biggrin.gif Good sound. So that's the pod eh? nice tone. Just keep hammering away at it pretty soon you'll have the solo down too.

Yeah, the POD is quite cool for this kind of thing (PC recording). I like the way this tone came out, though it may sound a little too gritty for Freewill. Alex had a smoother distortion going, I think. Still, I like it too.

Getting the solo down, now THAT is something I have a hard time with. We'll see, though...I'll keep practicing! smile.gif

This is not an easy song to play no.gif . One thing I find helpful on tracks like these is listening more to the live version over the studio version. It helps me get a better handle on what he is doing.