The Official "Resident Evil" Thread

syrinxpriest 2112

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The games are great (for the most part), and the movies are shit... I loved RE1, 2, and 3 (REmake for gamecube is the best), and the "Survivor" spin off games are kind of fun. RE0 was okay, worth a playthrough... although I felt the team of two characters system didn't really work well, at least not with RE.

RE4 is a different story... it's a fun game, don't get me wrong. Great controls, graphics, etc... but the story? Give me a f***ing break. That's the reason RE and Silent Hill are the best survival horror games... because they make every aspect great, and somehow still manage to pump out a great storyline. But RE4 was... just wtf. Barely involved Umbrella, they weren't even zombies, gah... it was just a damn trainwreck. The game should've been called "Secret agent guy saves the president's generic dumb blonde daughter"

Oh, and the genre was a disappointment... it wasn't survival horror, it was a shoot 'em up. No ammo conservation, minimum creepiness, every single boss ended up being some huge insect looking thing, etc.

I liked the game, but it just... wasn't RE.

Sorry for the long wind, I feel pretty strongly on that subject smile.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 27 2007, 06:54 PM)
The games are great (for the most part), and the movies are shit... I loved RE1, 2, and 3 (REmake for gamecube is the best), and the "Survivor" spin off games are kind of fun. RE0 was okay, worth a playthrough... although I felt the team of two characters system didn't really work well, at least not with RE.

RE4 is a different story... it's a fun game, don't get me wrong. Great controls, graphics, etc... but the story? Give me a f***ing break. That's the reason RE and Silent Hill are the best survival horror games... because they make every aspect great, and somehow still manage to pump out a great storyline. But RE4 was... just wtf. Barely involved Umbrella, they weren't even zombies, gah... it was just a damn trainwreck. The game should've been called "Secret agent guy saves the president's generic dumb blonde daughter"

Oh, and the genre was a disappointment... it wasn't survival horror, it was a shoot 'em up. No ammo conservation, minimum creepiness, every single boss ended up being some huge insect looking thing, etc.

yes.gif I hear ya on the remake for gamecube.

RE4 is a great game, but yes, the story was a little....well.... cool10.gif if ya know what i mean.

From what i hear, RE5 should have alot more on ammo conservation(let's just hope it's not as bad as code veronica!). I belive there isn't a HUD in RE5 either.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Aug 27 2007, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 27 2007, 06:54 PM)

yes.gif I hear ya on the remake for gamecube.

RE4 is a great game, but yes, the story was a little....well.... cool10.gif if ya know what i mean.

From what i hear, RE5 should have alot more on ammo conservation(let's just hope it's not as bad as code veronica!). I belive there isn't a HUD in RE5 either.

Yeah, RE5 looks a bit more promising... the part about it being in Kenya (I think that's the locale...) is very interesting. And from what I know, it's actually back to zombies... instead of angry hispanic men with a bad stomach virus.

I agree that RE4 doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game, but it's still my favorite and one of my favorite games ever...but yeah, the story is....well, Salazar just about sums it up. The Wii version is so awesome though. I'm on my 3rd playthrough (after about 5 on the Gamecube), and never having played the PS2 version, Separate Ways was awesome too. I wish they would've put the bowgun in the main game, that was some John Rambo shit. The game never gets old to me though, even when I know what's coming.

Judging by the little preview of 5, I hope you don't have to conserve ammo too much. Did you see how many people were coming out at once? Zoinks. I don't know if I'm crazy about the setting though...what are they gonna have you do for 6, shoot Asians?

I also love the DS version of the first RE. They left the old voice acting in, which must be experienced if you've only played REmake. Barry f***ing rules hard. laugh.gif

But out of the original RE games, my favorite is Code: Veronica and my least favorite is 3. f**k Nemesis, man, he scared me.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Aug 28 2007, 02:27 PM)
I also love the DS version of the first RE. They left the old voice acting in, which must be experienced if you've only played REmake. Barry f***ing rules hard. laugh.gif

Barry Burton has some of the best lines ever.

"Any longer and you would have been a Jill-sandwich."

But the best Barry quote came after you kill the giant snake. There's a giand 50 foot long disintigrating python, mekting through the floor, and he says:

"So, Jill, you found anything interesting?"

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

I really have enjoyed the games (And Face it RE 4 is canon in the RE universe), but I have not seen any of the movies.........how bad does it mess with the game's storyline.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 31 2008, 10:26 AM)
New RE5 trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34647.html

Looks great, but even more like an action game than 4.

I just shat a brick. God dammit that was awesome.

spoilers:

f**k, the chainsaw guy is back. Well, here's to more soiled pants.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jun 3 2008, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 3 2008, 12:00 AM)
This is gonna kick ass.

Screw the 360.  You may have Splinter Cell, we have RE!

RE 5 is gonna be on the 360.

What Happened there? I thought it was a ps3 exclusive.....

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 3 2008, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jun 3 2008, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 3 2008, 12:00 AM)
This is gonna kick ass.

Screw the 360.  You may have Splinter Cell, we have RE!

RE 5 is gonna be on the 360.

What Happened there? I thought it was a ps3 exclusive.....

Resident Evil 5, known in Japan as Biohazard 5 (バイオハザード5, Baiohazādo Faibu?), is the forthcoming installment in the Resident Evil survival horror series, which is set to debut for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

I am going ahead and posting this here but I am going to start a whole thread about it over at video vertigo as well.

Finally an RE movie based on GAME CANON

Resident Evil: Degeneration

I wonder how this film will bridge the events of re4 and re5

I have a thread over at the Playstation Forums discussion this. (My Username over there is GRVrush2112 (same as my online ID))

played 1, 2 and 3 and finished them... eventually. 4 has got me stuck crossing a chasm via 3 cages. a creature keeps jumping down and attacking and once you find the way to unlock the door to the next compartment you only have 30 seconds to get there, whilst being attacked by said creature. its so hard it makes me want to weep... i just can't do it fists crying.gif

great games though.

QUOTE (arctangent @ Jun 17 2008, 07:14 AM)
played 1, 2 and 3 and finished them... eventually. 4 has got me stuck crossing a chasm via 3 cages. a creature keeps jumping down and attacking and once you find the way to unlock the door to the next compartment you only have 30 seconds to get there, whilst being attacked by said creature. its so hard it makes me want to weep... i just can't do it fists crying.gif

great games though.

Don't give up, that part's not as hard as it seems. You can't kill the monster during that part so just pump some shotgun shells into him and dodge his attack and he'll leave you alone for a few seconds. Don't waste too much ammo during there because you'll have to fight him head on after you get out of the cages. And when you get to that part, the red barrel is your friend.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 17 2008, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (arctangent @ Jun 17 2008, 07:14 AM)

great games though.

Don't give up, that part's not as hard as it seems. You can't kill the monster during that part so just pump some shotgun shells into him and dodge his attack and he'll leave you alone for a few seconds. Don't waste too much ammo during there because you'll have to fight him head on after you get out of the cages. And when you get to that part, the red barrel is your friend.

Yeah....."IT" (as saddler calls it) was tought on the first playthrough.

But what was cool is unlocking the Chiago Typewriter.........sweet.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 16 2008, 06:43 AM)
Whoa, f***ing sweet. I'm assuming this is going straight to DVD like the last Final Fantasy movie?

I think it is going to be straight to DVD. I cannot wait!

I said already Leon, and Claire are characters. I wonder how Wesker will fit into this.

Archived