Thousands Dead After Earthquake in Southeast Asia

Pags

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (iamarushfan @ Dec 27 2004, 07:10 PM)
ya know what? riv may be a dickhead conservative elitist who should die a miserable and painful death, but hes funny as hell

:me: trink39.gif :rivendell:

1022.gif

if we could just get him to convert to liberism he would be god

He'll rip your head off and rice down your neck before that'll happen...

I'm fascinated by tidal waves. I have a Discovery Channel video about tidal waves.

Yes, a tidal wave can strike the east and west coast of the U.S.

Geologists have discovered cracks in the ocean floor off the coast of NC and caused some concern of a possible quake that would trigger a tsunami and strike the NC coast (and others too, I think) in a matter of 15 minutes from the intial quake. That would leave very little time to leave the shore. Also, we don't have alarms to alert coastal residents of a looming tidal wave.

There is also a volcanic island just east of Africa that is "slipping" and, if it tumbles (which it is predicted to do) into the ocean, the entire east coast of the US could be decimated.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 27 2004, 04:20 PM)
ya know what? riv may be a dickhead conservative elitist who should die a miserable and painful death, but hes funny as hell

1022.gif

He'll rip your head off and rice down your neck before that'll happen...

I'd pay to see that!!! laugh.gif yes.gif

1022.gif

Thought you said you don't believe in God. mad.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Dec 26 2004, 07:21 PM)
All that we can do is be reminded, we shake our heads at the tragedy.

A fitting quote (there are more I guess), but I have to disagree. I'm making a substantional deposit now, to be part of it all by making a financial contribution to the aid organisations. Recommended for everyone.

In Sweden, planes have started to arrive now with evacuated people. Many of them dressed in swimsuits only, many badly injured and many who have not found family members. On the first plane were three children who were sent home alone.

mad.gif sad.gif

The Companion

Tsunami toll predicted to pass 60,000

Tue Dec 28 2004 11:50:39 ET

The death toll from the Indian Ocean tsunami catastrophe was predicted to climb pass 60,000 last night as the worst-hit nations struggled to deal with their dead and survivors, including at least a million people left homeless.

Story

holy cow! 60,000?

Anyone ever notice that whenever there is some major disaster it is in India?

This really is an unbelievable situation. Looting, chaos, digging graves with their hands. Sounds like a bad movie.

QUOTE (iamarushfan @ Dec 28 2004, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Dec 28 2004, 06:36 PM)
SUSPENSION ALERT

this aint the politics section pal

by the way, how do you guys like my new signature rofl3.gif trink38.gif

suits you, for sure!

Yeah, this really sucks. One of my dearest friends has been in Thailand since November. I got an email from him a few weeks ago but nothing since!!!!

Wrote him the day this happened but have not heard anything......worried!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 28 2004, 09:02 PM)
Yeah, this really sucks. One of my dearest friends has been in Thailand since November. I got an email from him a few weeks ago but nothing since!!!!

Hey Launch - let me know if everything turns out ok. We just checked in with our friends - she and her family are Thai. All are ok. I'll keep good thoughts for your buddy. Rough time.

I just got done reading some of the news, and I am sickened by what has happened. Seeing a father crying over his dead childs hand, it makes me think of my own two little girls. How devastated I would be to lose them... I wouldnt want to live. Colin Powell said that yes, the United States was going to contribute, and yes, it was going to cost in the billions of dollars. Why must we put a dollar value on human life? Why cant we just help, and not count the cost??? Shouldnt we help those less fortunate than us?? I sure would, if I had a neighbor in need, I would help. We are all in this world together, and we need to be on 'our' side. When I read what Mr. Powell said, it just hit me the wrong way. Who cares how much it will cost?? There are people that need help, and we are like the givers that say, "here, and this is how much money it put me out, so be thankful!" I absolutely hate that. If I had anything to give, I would give it. I am wishing that I could go there, and help out with the children, babies and families. If nothing just to cry with them, and offer moral support. Sometimes that means so much.... My postive thoughts and prayers are with all those that were touched in one way or the other by this...

Death toll reaches 100,000

By Andrew Gilligan In Colombo And Valentine Low In London, Evening Standard

29 December 2004

The death toll in the tsunami disaster soared past 100,000 today - and is set to climb higher.

A total of 50 Britons are now confirmed dead and at least 100 are unaccounted for after tidal waves swept away resorts in Thailand, Sri Lanka, India and around the Indian Ocean.

Officials in every country today warned the final number of dead will be even higher as rescue teams reach remote areas.

www.thisislondon.com

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 28 2004, 09:06 PM)

Hey Launch - let me know if everything turns out ok. We just checked in with our friends - she and her family are Thai. All are ok. I'll keep good thoughts for your buddy. Rough time.

Got an email from my buddy today...He's safe!! biggrin.gif

The had planned to go to Sri Lanka last week but went to Burma instead...whew!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 29 2004, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 28 2004, 09:06 PM)

Got an email from my buddy today...He's safe!! biggrin.gif

The had planned to go to Sri Lanka last week but went to Burma instead...whew!

That is good news!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Archived