Signals

Analogkid1123

Signals is magnificent. :madra:

Peak Rush.......and the slow steady slide would commence post Signals. All leading to......sigh.......CA.

Mick

Which is actually a better album than Signals. I don't think it's that close.

man, CA is like a damn candlebox record next to signals.

Agreed...so much better than Signals.

I forgot about your obsession with 90s fratboy music. you probably like the soundtrack to biodome more than signals...there's no reasoning with you!

I like rock and roll and guitars, regardless of when the music was released. The Singles soundtrack is about 20 times better than Signals, but I don't recall Biodome's soundtrack. I just looked it up and it looks like a bunch of band's I've never heard. Stuck in the Middle With You and We Care a Lot are strong tracks, though.

you're not a real rock band unless you were on MTV in 1994 and went platinum fifteen times - LedRush

Signals had more videos on MTV than the songs I mention in my post, which were largely unknown tracks from underground bands at the time.

Did they have a video on MTV for The Weapon?

If they did, it would help explain their declining popularity at the time.

• Like 1

Signals is magnificent. :madra:

Peak Rush.......and the slow steady slide would commence post Signals. All leading to......sigh.......CA.

Mick

Which is actually a better album than Signals. I don't think it's that close.

man, CA is like a damn candlebox record next to signals.

Agreed...so much better than Signals.

I forgot about your obsession with 90s fratboy music. you probably like the soundtrack to biodome more than signals...there's no reasoning with you!

I like rock and roll and guitars, regardless of when the music was released. The Singles soundtrack is about 20 times better than Signals, but I don't recall Biodome's soundtrack. I just looked it up and it looks like a bunch of band's I've never heard. Stuck in the Middle With You and We Care a Lot are strong tracks, though.

you're not a real rock band unless you were on MTV in 1994 and went platinum fifteen times - LedRush

Signals had more videos on MTV than the songs I mention in my post, which were largely unknown tracks from underground bands at the time.

Did they have a video on MTV for The Weapon?

If they did, it would help explain their declining popularity at the time.

:o

Actually, I thought that was very funny. :LOL:

• Like 1

If you compare Moving Pictures with Signals, there's just as much keyboard on Moving Pictures IMO. Just a pity the guitars on Signals were panned to make the keyboard more central. Geddy were you responsible?

I never hated this album...but it was never one I reached for in a pinch... To me it felt like that they wanted to get something out, and didn't give the songs enough time to develop.

Subdivisions lost all intrigue once I realized it was about dumb neighborhoods...One of my friends thought he was the "cat's ass" once he figured out the keyboard part.... :facepalm:

I would think I was the "cat's ass" if I could figure out the keyboard part to Subdivisions too. :laughing guy:

You should have seen him when he figured out the bass part to Red Sector A! :eh: (and I was working on LaVilla and 2112 on drums! :popcorn: )

I do agree with led that singles has some good songs in it. not a big pearl jam fan but I like AIC and mudhoney a lot

Not even State of Love and Trust? It rocks harder than anything they put on Ten. Breath is also better than all but 1 or 2 album tracks in my mind. Do you not like early Soundgarden? It seems right up your alley...harder and faster than AiC (who I also love). The Mother Love Bone song is one of my all time favorites.

I never hated this album...but it was never one I reached for in a pinch... To me it felt like that they wanted to get something out, and didn't give the songs enough time to develop.

Subdivisions lost all intrigue once I realized it was about dumb neighborhoods...One of my friends thought he was the "cat's ass" once he figured out the keyboard part.... :facepalm:

I would think I was the "cat's ass" if I could figure out the keyboard part to Subdivisions too. :laughing guy:

I'll teach you! :)

• Like 1

I'll teach you! :)

:wub: Oh Kenny, I would love that! :wub:

• Like 1

Absolutely a "turning point" album for me. I got into Rush when a friend brought over A Farewell to Kings, and I discovered that music could have more meaning than what I found in Wang Dang Sweet Poontang. Hemispheres came out, and I found it equally obscure, challenging me to reach to another level of my musical appreciation. Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves were more accessible and socially acceptable. But by the time that Signals issued, I'd gone to college, worked at the college radio station, and frankly, expected more than the keyboards were offering me. It completely lost me, and I wasn't back for may years.
  • Like 2

Absolutely a "turning point" album for me. I got into Rush when a friend brought over A Farewell to Kings, and I discovered that music could have more meaning than what I found in Wang Dang Sweet Poontang. Hemispheres came out, and I found it equally obscure, challenging me to reach to another level of my musical appreciation. Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves were more accessible and socially acceptable. But by the time that Signals issued, I'd gone to college, worked at the college radio station, and frankly, expected more than the keyboards were offering me. It completely lost me, and I wasn't back for may years.

Welcome, Tom, to TRF!

You aren't alone in that. There are a few here that also happened to.

What's wrong with Wang Dang Sweet Poontang? :huh:

• Like 2

I prefer Wang Dang Doodlw, myself
  • Like 1

I prefer Wang Dang Doodlw, myself

:wtf:

"We gonna pitch a wang dang doodle, all night long..."

It basically means, "We're going to have a big party."

yup------Savoy Brown style !!!!!!

Savoy Brown! There's a band I haven't listened to in ages.

I was thinking of Howlin' Wolf and the Grateful Dead when I posted the lyric, but hey, it's ALL good...

unfortunately, your story was not uncommon back then.

I hung on through GUP but same experience. I was in college and there was just so much better stuff going on in the mid/late '80s than synth Rush. I didn't hear PoW on for the first time until just a few years ago when I got back into Rush beyond my hardcore devotion to the pre-Signals Terry Brown albums.

Signals is one of those great albums with a great sound that will remind you of how great it was to listen to Signals for the first few times. In other words...a great album, one of the really great ones :cosmo:
  • Like 3

Awesome example of musical style and development. If you have a rubber band, block of wood and some spoons and you can write and create such a sound that fits it works, Question; Does it really matter what you use to make music as long as the music your making is awesome?

For me there is also a lot of sentimental value to this album and I love how the music transports me back. So for me it is a wonderful musical time machine. I can hear Niel riding that cymbal in Subdivisions now!!! Magic :codger: :Neil:

Signals is near the very top of the pile when it comes to great albums. I love everything about it. Its from that period where I feel Rush truly nailed the art of efficient song writing (Permanent Waves being the beginning) - just a wonderful piece of work. Its the genius of Rush that they can have so many albums that are so different from one another and show many different styles, yet at the same time can be so typically Rush. To me, there are no wrong answeres when it comes to great Rush albums...they all have a their place.
  • Like 3