The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

Hey all you Van Halen fans!

I see alot of you guys on this forum, and I thought it would be cool just to discuss them.

The only rule is: We don't talk about their current state. no.gif

So, with that said, what's your favorite album by them?

Mine is probably Fair Warning. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Aug 23 2007, 02:06 PM)

I see alot of you guys on this forum, and I thought it would be cool just to discuss them.

The only rule is: We don't talk about their current state. no.gif

1984 is great, but the debut was a revelation. yes.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 23 2007, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Aug 23 2007, 02:06 PM)

The only rule is: We don't talk about their current state.  no.gif

Mine is probably Fair Warning.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

1984 is great, but the debut was a revelation. yes.gif 1022.gif

Yes, I agree with you there.

The Roth era kicked the Hagar era's @$$.

... But I still like it.

Van halen II is my favorite with Fair warning coming up on a close second biggrin.gif

My top 5 Dave era songs are

UNCHAINED

Light Up the sky

Romeo Delight

So this is Love

Little Guitars--- THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. I just got a 5 star package for the Detroit show so I will be seeing them up close & personal.

This will be my 11th time to see them. the 2nd time with Dave. I saw them in 1984. One of the best shows of all time.

I am interested to see if they still have it biggrin.gif

My fav album has to be 'Van Halen I'

Start to finish it's top-shelf, and someone else mentioned, it was revalation.

I also agree that 5150 is a GREAT album. A lot of good songs on there. I think OU812 is pretty damn good too. Not top 3, or 5, but damn good, IMO.

My first rock show I ever saw was the OU812 tour in Milwaukee. LOVED it.

1022.gif

I love old Van Halen (Roth)......but I won't be seeing them on this tour (w/o Mike)....VH, VHII, Fair Warning are all amazing albums to this day.......Most of the Sammy stuff I pass on (minus a few songs here and there).....

Has to be the debut album for me. I think it was one of the most revolutionary albums of our time. I would say that the weakest album of the DLR era would be Diver Down, because of all the covers, though Little Guitars, as mentioned earlier, was an awesome tune. I didn't care for the Hagar era, though. I'll just leave it at that, I've talked about it in enough VH threads already.

QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Aug 23 2007, 04:06 PM)

I'm right there with you. When that album came out, me and my friends listened to it literally everyday for a year. I think it's the most cohesive Van Halen album, for sure. They found a really nice groove and rode it. It was also on this tour that I had my first front row concert experience. Although my ticket was of the upper nosebleed variety, I snuck down on the floor a few minutes before they hit the stage and stood in front of Eddie's mic the entire night. It didn't suck.

biggrin.gif

By the same token, no one will get an argument out of me for claiming the debut as their best, either. Hell, I love all the DLR albums. And while I am a Sammy fan, too, the Roth era was better. I will have to wait and see about forking out the big $$$ for this go 'round, though.

My favorites from the Roth era are WaCF and FW. My favorite from Hagar era is F*CK. 5150 is too 1980s (those Simmons pads were used ad nauseum on that record, even Neil Peart didn't overkill the Simmons pads on the 1980s Rush albums (NP only used Simmons pads in a full song setting on RSA and RL on GUP and on ED and MR on PWindows)).

I am skipping Sham Halen on this tour. I refuse to see Eric Cartman on bass.

Fair Warning and Diver Down are my personal favs

Little Guitars is amazing - I have loved that song the moment I heard the intro - beautiful

The Sammy Hagar era was not a bad thing - it just was a different band

(ie Van Hagar)

VH1 and Fair Warning. 1984 also.

F.U.C.K. would be my fav from the Hagar years.

Question about current Van Halen:

Is Wolfgang some sort of bass prodigy or something? I was curious as to why he got the gig instead of a more experienced and established player......? Anybody have any info on this?

doublebasschick is correct. Unchained is awesome.

I probably like Fair Warning the best although the first four are all classics. I think D-Rock just wanted to say F.U.C.K. I guess I did too.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 24 2007, 10:34 AM)
Question about current Van Halen:

Is Wolfgang some sort of bass prodigy or something? I was curious as to why he got the gig instead of a more experienced and established player......? Anybody have any info on this?

Sometimes being the boss' son has its advantages

Big VH fan, wore VH album out, replaced it before VHII came out. Saw the Band 7 times with DLR, True Drug/Sex & R-n-R Concerts. Couldn't belive it when DLR was fired/Quit ? Limbo land for a short while, Then Eddy & Sammy happened to be hanging out at the same lamborgini performance shop.

I was VERY reluctant to accept Sammy for the first 5 years, But He was the BEST choice, Great Addition to VH. Those Albums Post DLR albums are Great ! One of the Sammy/VH show stands out in my Memory as a Top 10 Concert for me, Was Just Suburb ! the DLR concerts were great too, but none of those are in my top 10. As Sammy tells about his 11 year career with Van Halen ," I had 10 Great Years with VH and One Bad ! "

Then Eddy got sick. Stuck it to Sammy, Still sticking it to DLR, Forget about Gary, Draging his son into this mess & Alex just has no where to go & when's the last time he's play the sticks?

Not to worry, VH will sell out All tickets, in ALL citys, in under

60 minutes.....

I would check & see if all those Convenience fee are Refundable !

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Aug 24 2007, 01:06 AM)
My favorites from the Roth era are WaCF and FW. My favorite from Hagar era is F*CK. 5150 is too 1980s (those Simmons pads were used ad nauseum on that record, even Neil Peart didn't overkill the Simmons pads on the 1980s Rush albums (NP only used Simmons pads in a full song setting on RSA and RL on GUP and on ED and MR on PWindows)).

I am skipping Sham Halen on this tour. I refuse to see Eric Cartman on bass.

Amen to that!

wtf.gif Wolfgang? Give me a break! 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Analog Kelly @ Aug 24 2007, 10:42 AM)

Well ya, but certainly they must have considered the credibility factor....?

Has anybody heard young Wolfgang play? Not that Anthony's bass licks were the most technical by any means, I just think that's a huge step for a 15 year old - playing bass for Van Halen and all.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 24 2007, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (Analog Kelly @ Aug 24 2007, 10:42 AM)

Well ya, but certainly they must have considered the credibility factor....?

Has anybody heard young Wolfgang play? Not that Anthony's bass licks were the most technical by any means, I just think that's a huge step for a 15 year old - playing bass for Van Halen and all.

Not necessarily, you have to remember, Van Halen is probably all Wolfie knows. Being around Van Halen was most likely his environment since he could hold a guitar.

Yah I guess.

What was the deal with Anthony anyway? Why didn't he sign up for the tour?

I'm guessing it's because of a fall-out with Eddie?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 24 2007, 03:28 PM)
Yah I guess.

I'm wondering the same thing...

Anyone have the answer to that one?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 24 2007, 04:28 PM)
Yah I guess.

Didnt he at last glance align himself with Hagar? I remember a hillarious show chronicling the Roth-Hagar tour, and when interviewing Hagar, MA was seated right next to him. Thought maybe they were buds, and so therefore, he was on the Bros. VH "sh-t list".

QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Aug 25 2007, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 24 2007, 03:28 PM)
Yah I guess.

I'm wondering the same thing...

Anyone have the answer to that one?

I've always liked Michael Anthony and wondered the same thing so I looked it up..Here's what Wikipedia had to say smile.gif

1022.gif http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/arleen2112/TRF/live209820jd20bass.jpg 1022.gif

Diminishing role within Van Halen (1998-2006)

It has been revealed that for 1998's Van Halen III album, Anthony was only allowed to perform on three songs, with Eddie Van Halen recording on the others. His involvement in songwriting was credited in full, as before (the band always credited the full lineups for songwriting) though is reportedly less full than that. Anthony remained in the band for the 1998-1999 tour, and was credited for messages from the band thereafter. He was apparently still in the band to a degree, since he and David Lee Roth were both around for the band's three reunion attempts with Roth 2000 - 2001. After this, information on Van Halen is hard to acquire until the 2004 reunion.

For the band's reunion in 2004, Anthony was not allowed to write/record the three new songs for The Best of Both Worlds. This time however, he was [correctly] not credited for songwriting involvement. The album's credits don't mention his non-involvement in the actual performance however. On a separate reduced royalties contract he performed on the tour however, at Sammy Hagar's insistence. The contract drawn up was for the duration of the tour only, with his role within the band resting in the hands of the Van Halen brothers there after. Throughout this time, and during the Van Halen III period, the public was unaware that Anthony's status within the band was fading over time.

Departure from Van Halen and recent life (2006 - present)

Mike spent the summer of 2006 touring as a member of "The Other Half" along with Sammy Hagar. They performed songs from both the Hagar and Roth eras of Van Halen. At the June 4, 2006 show in Phoenix, Arizona, for example, Mike sang Roth's vocal parts on Running with the Devil and Hagar sang Mike's backup harmonies.

On September 8, 2006, Eddie Van Halen announced that his son Wolfgang is now Van Halen's official bass player. On February 2, 2007, it was announced that Van Halen was reuniting for a tour with original vocalist Roth, and Wolfgang taking Anthony's place. On August 13, 2007 the band announced that the tour will begin on September 27, 2007. For the moment however, Anthony remains the band's only bassist to have toured and the only one to have recorded other than Eddie.

Anthony spooked his former VH bandmate and good friend Sammy Hagar on live national TV on February 25, 2007. During a pre-race performance for the California race on FOX television, the bassist jumped onstage and joined the Red Rocker during a performance of "I Can't Drive 55". The Red Rocker could only respond "Michael Anthony's in the house." He joined Sammy Hagar to perform "Why Can't This Be Love" at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony on March 12, 2007.

In recent years, Anthony was involved in the unsigned supergroup Planet Us. Although denied a slot on the Spider-Man soundtrack ("too freakin' heavy"), they did perform the unreleased song Vertigo on RockLine. The lineup, besides Mike, was Sammy Hagar, Neal Schon, Deen Castronovo, and Joe Satriani. Mike has also guest-spotted on tour with Hagar's solo band The Waboritas several times.

Anthony is currently developing a side project called "Chickenfoot" with Sammy Hagar and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith.