The "O" Factor

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#41 Garden Dancer

Garden Dancer

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1363 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Dancing, Magick, Bird Watching, Baseball, Rush, Geddy Lee, Steve Vai, Gardening, Nature, Moonlight, Wine, Faeries, Poetry, Animals, Reading, Drawing, Movies, Writing (or at least trying to...), Su Doku, Day Dreaming And about a million other things! Currently most passionate about my Intuitive Jewelry Crafting :-) and learning how to cook vegetarian for myself

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 22 2007, 01:54 AM)
OK Ladies, Tortoise here with a quick (possibly personal) question.

There are certain songs and/or parts of songs that make Hair just . . . well . . . you know,. . . "Ooo and Aaah" and get all squintchy faced. wub.gif
Don't deny it, It's true. Geddy has that magickal ability. So here's my question:

In Good News First @ time mark 3:00min. there is this wonderful syncopated transition that has the above mentioned effect on Hare. Does this song have the same effect on any of you?

OK Bye, bolt.gif
Tortoise

For me... there are many...

La Villa Strangiato
That part where Ged plays that long, high note on the keyboard...
it just hangs there, high and endless... and Oh, I'm right there on the edge!  And then he goes to the bass... deep and low pulse
oohhhhhhh. and that's just it  for me!

And I don't know why, but I get shivers listening to Moving To Bohemia...
The most delicious shivers...

Leave That Thing Alone!  Where's My Thing?  YYZ...
Chemistry, In The Mood, Freeze (Part IV of Fear)...
And there's something about Nocturne and Sweet Miracle...

And of course.. MalNar
and we must not forget  The Main Monkey Bisiness!

Sponsored Post

#42 different strings

different strings

Australia's #1 Rush Fan

• Members
  • 9053 posts
  • Interests:DRUMS, SURFING AND LISTENING TO RUSH. I would LOVE TO HEAR FROM ALL YOU RUSH FANS send me a PM or talk in chat. If anyone is coming to Australia one day let me know as I would love to meet you. I live in Sydney which is on the East Coast at a place on the fabulous Northern Beaches - great people, great surf and a fantastic city.

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

laugh.gif This thread is wild but I might just stay lurking on this topic if you dont mind rofl3.gif  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  z7shysterical.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  

#43 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts
  • Interests:Rush.....um......Rush.....and.....um.......Rush......oh yeah, and RUSH! Other than that, I play the guitar, sing, love most kinds of music, including country (I sing that professionally), love photography, art, and hockey.

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Aug 24 2007, 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 22 2007, 01:54 AM)
OK Ladies, Tortoise here with a quick (possibly personal) question.

There are certain songs and/or parts of songs that make Hair just . . . well . . . you know,. . . "Ooo and Aaah" and get all squintchy faced. wub.gif
Don't deny it, It's true. Geddy has that magickal ability. So here's my question:

In Good News First @ time mark 3:00min. there is this wonderful syncopated transition that has the above mentioned effect on Hare. Does this song have the same effect on any of you?

OK Bye, bolt.gif
Tortoise

For me... there are many...

La Villa Strangiato
That part where Ged plays that long, high note on the keyboard...
it just hangs there, high and endless... and Oh, I'm right there on the edge!  And then he goes to the bass... deep and low pulse
oohhhhhhh. and that's just it  for me!

And I don't know why, but I get shivers listening to Moving To Bohemia...
The most delicious shivers...

Leave That Thing Alone!  Where's My Thing?  YYZ...
Chemistry, In The Mood, Freeze (Part IV of Fear)...
And there's something about Nocturne and Sweet Miracle...

And of course.. MalNar
and we must not forget  The Main Monkey Bisiness!

Wow - that's some good honest posting right there!  Thanks Garden Dancer!!  I honestly have to say...most of Geddy's work does it for me laugh.gif  I LOVE the intro to Home on the Strange from MFH...wub.gif

#44 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 17108 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (different strings @ Aug 24 2007, 07:36 AM)
laugh.gif This thread is wild but I might just stay lurking on this topic if you dont mind rofl3.gif  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  z7shysterical.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I was JUST thinking the same thing. I feel like a voyuer.  blush4.gif

#45 Ya_Big_Tree

Ya_Big_Tree

"I'm your ch-ch-cherry bomb!"

• Members *
  • 14818 posts
  • Interests:Anything that I find interesting obviously interests me.

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (Lady April @ Aug 23 2007, 09:34 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 23 2007, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 23 2007, 08:50 PM)
bekloppt.gif 2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
Tortoise and Hare, Lady April

Jim Morrison . . . Now he was sex appeal personified!!!! wub.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

Yes he was.

But, he really didn't want that. All he wanted was for people to like his poetry.  It's the way the manager marketed the band that made him the sex GOD that everyone saw him as.  I would loved to have known him, before all of that got to him.  In the book, the author knew him before he got famous and he seems like such an interesting person. That is the biggest thing I envy about her life I think...and she never even slept with him either!

biggrin.gif

The thing about Jim though is that he did begin to use the sex god thing to his advantage.
The thing with Pamela is that she made a conscious point to not sleep with anyone till she was ready. She didn't even "do" Rodney Bingemheimer but she DID go down on him. She did everything but the screwing the musicians. She after that she was my idol for a long time lol

Yeah I liked how she described that she wanted to take care of rock stars because seriously they don't really have anyone to take care of them when they are on the road. When they are on the road all thats going on is a whole lotta partyin', a whole lotta drinkin', a whole lotta people using other people to get what they want and there really is a need for someone to be there to help them out a bit.

Yeah I think I have finally found my idol, I'm 23 and I finally have a fricken idol. Seriously I haven't had one before, I just kinda went my own way.  Just because she and I wind up in the same situations. I just cant help myself around beautiful men who make music.   wub.gif  

#46 Tortoise and Hare

Tortoise and Hare

Double Agent

• Members *
  • 3384 posts
  • Interests:Anything RUSH, Pet Chickens, Boston Sports!!!, Beachcombing, Metaphysics, Holistic Living, Vegetarian Cooking, Sustainable Agriculture, Conspiracy Theories, Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature, Alternative Histories/Dimensions/Futures, Ancient Cosmology, Pagan Spirituality, Writing, Photography, Alternative Education Models, Geocaching

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 24 2007, 01:05 PM)
laugh.gif This thread is wild but I might just stay lurking on this topic if you dont mind rofl3.gif  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  z7shysterical.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

dazed025.gif No No No . . . That is not why I started this tread.  

It's about the Music.

wink.gif

Tortoise 1287.gif  

#47 LerxstFerret

LerxstFerret

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Taming invisible lions.

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 24 2007, 02:41 PM)
laugh.gif This thread is wild but I might just stay lurking on this topic if you dont mind rofl3.gif  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  z7shysterical.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It's about the Music.

wink.gif

Tortoise 1287.gif

I just find this thread hilarious.  

#48 Garden Dancer

Garden Dancer

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1363 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Dancing, Magick, Bird Watching, Baseball, Rush, Geddy Lee, Steve Vai, Gardening, Nature, Moonlight, Wine, Faeries, Poetry, Animals, Reading, Drawing, Movies, Writing (or at least trying to...), Su Doku, Day Dreaming And about a million other things! Currently most passionate about my Intuitive Jewelry Crafting :-) and learning how to cook vegetarian for myself

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

LSM
Oh, I know what you mean about Home On The Strange!  That intro just growls it's way in, don't it?!  Aaahhh!  Following Bohemia, it's just perfect, for me...

Driven does some nice things, too...  I love the performance in Rio... ooohh, he got me good with that one!  Virtuality... "I can smell her perfume, I can taste her lips... I can feel the voltage from her fingertips"  and I am just melted. blush4.gif   And don't get me started on Between Sun And Moon! drool1.gif  heart.gif  drool1.gif   From start to finish, with that one...

#49 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts
  • Interests:Rush.....um......Rush.....and.....um.......Rush......oh yeah, and RUSH! Other than that, I play the guitar, sing, love most kinds of music, including country (I sing that professionally), love photography, art, and hockey.

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Aug 24 2007, 03:59 PM)
LSM
Oh, I know what you mean about Home On The Strange!  That intro just growls it's way in, don't it?!  Aaahhh!  Following Bohemia, it's just perfect, for me...

Driven does some nice things, too...  I love the performance in Rio... ooohh, he got me good with that one!  Virtuality... "I can smell her perfume, I can taste her lips... I can feel the voltage from her fingertips"  and I am just melted. blush4.gif   And don't get me started on Between Sun And Moon! drool1.gif  heart.gif  drool1.gif   From start to finish, with that one...

ohmy.gif OMG....and the spoken parts in Double Agent!!

"On the edge of sleep I hear voices behind the door, the known and the nameless, familiar and faceless: my angels and my demons at war....which one will lose depends on what I choose, or maybe which voice I ignore..."
*THUD* user posted image drool1.gif

#50 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 24 2007, 03:41 PM)

It's about the Music.

wink.gif

Tortoise 1287.gif

ahh...but what a topic it is! 2funny.gif  

#51 Tortoise and Hare

Tortoise and Hare

Double Agent

• Members *
  • 3384 posts
  • Interests:Anything RUSH, Pet Chickens, Boston Sports!!!, Beachcombing, Metaphysics, Holistic Living, Vegetarian Cooking, Sustainable Agriculture, Conspiracy Theories, Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature, Alternative Histories/Dimensions/Futures, Ancient Cosmology, Pagan Spirituality, Writing, Photography, Alternative Education Models, Geocaching

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 24 2007, 12:59 PM)
I honestly have to say...most of Geddy's work does it for me laugh.gif  I LOVE the intro to Home on the Strange from MFH...wub.gif

I always forget how much I loooooove the My Favorite Headache album . . . you are soooooo right!  Been listening to it all night!  OMG, Geddy's voice in The Angel's Share . . .!  Thanks, LSM!

Hare biggrin.gif  

#52 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 24 2007, 09:26 PM)
I honestly have to say...most of Geddy's work does it for me laugh.gif  I LOVE the intro to Home on the Strange from MFH...wub.gif

I always forget how much I loooooove the My Favorite Headache album . . . you are soooooo right!  Been listening to it all night!  OMG, Geddy's voice in The Angel's Share . . .!  Thanks, LSM!

Hare biggrin.gif

"If we are only members of the human race..." wub.gif

I LOVE that album.  I even bought a second copy of it so that I could donate one to my hometown library for the "Give Your Librarian A Headache" Campaign smile.gif ...of course, getting my name put up on Geddylee.net had NOTHING to do with why I donated it wink.gif  I even wrote a poem about it laugh.gif

LakesideMaiden has found her way
To gracing Geddy's web page everyday
'Perhaps,' she had thought, 'I can catch his eye,'
'Through generous acts that I just may try'
And so she persued a link she had found
Off Rocktheinternet.com, soon she was Ged-bound
She knew that she couldnt give up her compact disc
For she loved it too much to be Headache-less
So she searched and she searched, until a copy she cornered
of My Favourite Headache, off the Internet she ordered
She brought it down to the library the very next day*
And said, 'this is sure to bring pleasure to all those that play' 
To finish this story with a nice little end
I will tell you how Lakeside feels, I shall not have to pretend 
With a great feeling in my soul and love in my heart
I've done some good for my Ged; and my old town great music to impart

#53 Tortoise and Hare

Tortoise and Hare

Double Agent

• Members *
  • 3384 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 24 2007, 09:37 PM)
I honestly have to say...most of Geddy's work does it for me laugh.gif  I LOVE the intro to Home on the Strange from MFH...wub.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

I LOVE that album.  I even bought a second copy of it so that I could donate one to my hometown library for the "Give Your Librarian A Headache" Campaign smile.gif ...of course, getting my name put up on Geddylee.net had NOTHING to do with why I donated it wink.gif  I even wrote a poem about it laugh.gif

. . . as Slipping plays softly in the background . . .

I loooove that you did that!!! What a neat poem - - you're so creative!  I really have to play this album more at school for people who don't know about it.

Still on now . . .

Hare biggrin.gif  

#54 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 24 2007, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 24 2007, 09:37 PM)

Hare biggrin.gif

. . . as Slipping plays softly in the background . . .

I loooove that you did that!!! What a neat poem - - you're so creative!  I really have to play this album more at school for people who don't know about it.

Still on now . . .

Hare biggrin.gif

blush4.gif Thanks, hon! hug2.gif

#55 Garden Dancer

Garden Dancer

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1363 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:42 PM

That's so cool, LSM!

Ahh, still finding things that make me go "Mmmmmmmmmmm..."
Cygnus X-1
Vital Signs
Mystic Rhythms
Turn The Page
Force Ten
Animate
The Speed Of Love
Double Agent
(sometimes)  Grace To Grace

...to list but a few...
And of course, once the mood is well begun... *giggle*  it can keep on going, growing stronger, just hearing the voice, the bass...  On and on 'til I can bearly see straight!

*hmmmm...*  Once I get going...
It takes a looooong time to wind down!

#56 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Aug 25 2007, 12:42 AM)
That's so cool, LSM!

Ahh, still finding things that make me go "Mmmmmmmmmmm..."
Cygnus X-1
Vital Signs
Mystic Rhythms
Turn The Page
Force Ten
Animate
The Speed Of Love
Double Agent
(sometimes)  Grace To Grace

...to list but a few...
And of course, once the mood is well begun... *giggle*  it can keep on going, growing stronger, just hearing the voice, the bass...  On and on 'til I can bearly see straight!

*hmmmm...*  Once I get going...
It takes a looooong time to wind down!

z7shysterical.gif You are too funny!!  Very graphic, hon! laugh.gif  

ph34r.gif but I know exactly what you mean on quite a few of those songs ph34r.gif

#57 Garden Dancer

Garden Dancer

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1363 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:29 AM

Oh you ain't seen graphic  yet! laugh.gif
I'm just not allowed to do that here...  (PG13)

You should see my notebooks!  Now there  I let loose!

#58 sullysue

sullysue

Arriving Somewhere...

• Members *
  • 16035 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:03 AM

QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 24 2007, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 24 2007, 02:41 PM)

It's about the Music.

wink.gif

Tortoise 1287.gif

I just find this thread hilarious.

OH! As long as it's about the music!!!

La Villa drives me insane! The solo from Anesthetise from PT's new CD makes me stop in my tracks. I'm one of the few (at least from what i've heard) that thinks the solo from Analog Kid is fruking amazing. I could go on.

What was the question?  unsure.gif  

#59 Cygnalschick

Cygnalschick

Little Drummer Girl

• Members
  • 5575 posts
  • Interests:Playing my Geddy Lee signature bass, reading, meeting other Rush fans, anything music-related: going to shows/concerts, writing music, listening to music...

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:35 AM

Well... it's safe to say that almost ALL Rush does this to me  yes.gif  But if I have to narrow it down  tongue.gif , I'd say....

*The chorus of Ghost of a Chance, most definitely --> Ged's voice

*Hemispheres

*ALL of Subdivisions

*Alex's first solo in La Villa

*The breakdown in Circumstances, you know... where everything stops and it's just Alex and Ged doing that cool melody

*The end of Lock and Key --> "We don't want to be victims, on that we all agree...." Neil's drumming that follows is amazing

*The part after the second chorus in Show Don't Tell. That is one of Ged's best basslines ever!! And some of Rush's best music yes.gif

*Guitar/bass solo in Mystic Rhythms

I could go on and on..... but these are the first things to come to mind  smile.gif

#60 rnrgal

rnrgal

The Seeker

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Much as I love Rush, I can't say I have quite, um, THAT reaction to the music.  Goosebumps, definitely and also sometimes music can just sort of mentally and emotionally carry me to a "higher place", especially at a live show when the band is really on and there's a great feedback and vibe and rapport between them and the crowd.  Those are usually, for me, just brief "magical moments" but I would say very different from...you know...that other kind of magical moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users