help deciding

JoenataArctica

I recently went to Guitar Center and was looking at guitars. My Ibanez RG321mh is somehow not impressing me anymore, so im thinking of either a PRS or a Les Paul. can someone help me out with the decision with pros and cons. i've heard both played, and they are both marvelous sounding.

I can't recommend highly enough that you look at Carvin. You can have them custom build one with the wood and electronics to match any guitars tone, and usually for less cash than a Les Paul or Strat etc. They play fantastically.

No I don't work for them. smile.gif

Get the Eppy Les Paul. They sound no different from the Gibson. They are cheaper. Look no different. Scrape off the "Epiphone". Then go get a "Gibson Les Paul" style pressure sensitive vinyl and put it on there. Nobody would notice that it wasn't a gibson. cool.gif tongue.gif 2.gif

Les Pauls are great. I would also check out the PRS, which depending on the model can be a bit more versatile, but now that I've seen Alex play a Les Paul with a Kahler on it that may be a good way to go.

Honestly, there are differences in sound to both of them. It also depends on what style you're playing....hold on, let me get Der Trommler LOL He worked at Guitar Center for 5 years, and while he's a drummer, he does know a lot about guitars wub.gif

...I don't play on electrics, as a general rule, cause I can't solo for sh!t (never learned how), I just play rhythm and finger pick a bit....so acoustics are the way to go for me. My dad owns a Les Paul that he LOVES, and they are good for Rock, Jazz & Blues, while he plays his custom strat styles for country. My brother owns both a Les Paul L5 and a PRS CE24, and he plays both about the same amount - he plays primarily rock, and a little blues when he's feeling a bit SRV'ish LOL ....mind you, he also owns a Strat and an Ibanez, and a Starfield (which he loves as well)...

....and yet, when I win Powerball, I think I've found my dream guitar....it's calling to me....It's called Les Paul Goddess heart.gif

http://www.gibson.com/Files/productImages/usa/thumbs_and_details/_Guitars/Les%20Paul%20Series/Goddess/body.jpg

http://www.gibson.com/Files/productImages/usa/thumbs_and_details/_Guitars/Les%20Paul%20Series/Goddess/beauty.jpg

omg....i'm almost crying here....I.....WANT.....IT!!!! fists crying.gif

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 14 2007, 03:27 AM)
I recently went to Guitar Center and was looking at guitars.  My Ibanez RG321mh is somehow not impressing me anymore, so im thinking of either a PRS or a Les Paul.  can someone help me out with the decision with pros and cons.  i've heard both  played, and they are both marvelous sounding.

First, this decision is as important as anything. How does each neck feel in your hands? Now, getting that first decision will help a lot more than sound. Both are going to sound great. PRS makes a few different models so I am going to base this off the same price range & go from there.

The Les Paul has great tone but it depends on the pickups being used. Many like the sound of the burstbucker, or the P90's (which is an oldies favorite!). Anyway, if we go with the burstbuckers, you are going to a very hot sound. Some have this tone a 'crunchy' tone....The versatility is the three way toggle switch which has been the standard for the Les Paul well before I was born!! lol....you have to take into account that each type of pickup is going to change your sound quite a bit. This favors getting Les Paul because your versatility of changing them is quite easy!

Now, if we talk about PRS, well...as I pull up the website, I saw a PRS SC245 which is back (originally called the McCarty model (spelling?))...this model is designed almost exactly like the Les Paul (in part because McCarty helped design the Les Paul-from what I was told). Anyway, the neck on the PRS are habitually thinner than the Les Pauls.....

OK, so if we go back to the PRS I was thinking of...well, I can't find it. Apparently, PRS has opened a door to different toggle switches. Before (besides the SC245), the toggle switch looks like one of the tone/volume knobs. This is a 5-way switch. The pickups were split to get so many tones. You have one switch for the bridge as a humbucker, the next is the opposing ends (bridge & neck) single coils, then the inside single coils, then the humbucker by the neck & last, the two humbuckers full on. As you can believe, this gives you a great amount of versatility! Now I believe this is the site for that: http://www.prsguitars.com/ce/index.html

Anyway, there is a change of weight as the Les Paul is heavier than the PRS....The PRS may have the 5-way toggle switch (giving more versatility) but the Les Paul has been a guitarist standard since it was designed! So, this may not be much of help but I was very impressed with the PRS series. So, my thoughts? I'd buy the PRS first, then the Les Paul....

The CE series of PRS is what I was thinking of (it's been two years! lol). If you got the $$$? http://www.prsguitars.com/privatestock/gallery/index.html

There's the Dragon....I almost sold one in 2004 for $25,000! It was supposed to sell for $30,000 but there was an indescrepency on the neck. It was #13/100.

It was soooo beautiful...Anyway, I'm a fan of both (I sold a AAA top to LSM's father-for $100 above cost...)...But for versatiltity, I'd say PRS CE series with the 5-way switch. I know....it's really an unbiased opinion & it came from me.....Go figure.....

Edited by Der Trommler

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 15 2007, 02:07 PM)
What is your budget? Are we talking Epiphone an Les Paul or a PRS SE model or the real deal?

i dont have a large budget, but am willing to go up to 700 bucks.

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 16 2007, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 15 2007, 02:07 PM)
What is your budget?  Are we talking Epiphone an Les Paul or a PRS SE model or the real deal?

i dont have a large budget, but am willing to go up to 700 bucks.

Then I would honestly say to wait a little longer (I know - the pain of waiting!! wacko.gif) and save up a hundred or so more....and get a real Les Paul - you've got enough with money to spare to get an Epiphone LP, and while those do sound good for the money, you really can't beat the sound of a genuine Gibson USA Les Paul (which you can get for as cheap as $799) like this one:

http://img3.guitarcenter.com/dbase/pics/products/1/1/5/274115.jpg

Not a bad little number, but again, it's more a matter of feel smile.gif

$780.00 Base price. Just take a look. Check out the guitar gallery for all the different options. Les Pauls and PRSs are great but for the money you can't go wrong.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC127http://www.carvinmuseum.com/isa/images/full/dc127m-tobaccoburst-100153.jpg

Edited by hunter

Check this out. They run about $500.00 new. I don't think that includes a case though.

With a budget of 700, if you decide to go the LP route, you'll be getting an Epiphone. I had an Epi LP (man do I regret selling that guitar) and I loved it. I strongly suggest that you buy used and definitely play the guitar first. Epi LPs are great guitars but the quality control is not the greatest.

Whatever you get I'd suggest buying used from a private party. Try Craigslist.org.

Anything you buy from guitar center is going to lose about 20-25% of it's value the second you walk out the door.

Know matter what or where you buy I'd budget for a professional setup done by a luthier for about 50-75 bucks. It can make a world of difference.

Have fun with the new toy!!!

cosmo.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rand @ Aug 16 2007, 06:22 PM)
Whatever you get I'd suggest buying used from a private party. Try Craigslist.org.

Anything you buy from guitar center is going to lose about 20-25% of it's value the second you walk out the door.

Know matter what or where you buy I'd budget for a professional setup done by a luthier for about 50-75 bucks. It can make a world of difference.

Have fun with the new toy!!!

cosmo.gif
trink39.gif

confused13.gif Dude, any place you buy from will actually have a warranty. Craig's list won't have that. For the record, anything that is bought privately will lose value as well. It doesn't matter where you get it...plus in any store you buy from will have a 30 return policy. Buying online is not very smart for music instruments unless you can go meet the person to buy that from. I'd rather try the piece I want to buy.....

QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 16 2007, 02:17 PM)
$780.00 Base price. Just take a look. Check out the guitar gallery for all the different options. Les Pauls and PRSs are great but for the money you can't go wrong.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC127http://www.carvinmuseum.com/isa/images/full/dc127m-tobaccoburst-100153.jpg

Carvin's are good guitars too....My ex-guitarist has one. Good tone. About as expensive as the cheaper Gibsons & PRS's

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 16 2007, 03:42 PM)
[/quote]
confused13.gif Dude, any place you buy from will actually have a warranty. Craig's list won't have that. For the record, anything that is bought privately will lose value as well. It doesn't matter where you get it...plus in any store you buy from will have a 30 return policy. Buying online is not very smart for music instruments unless you can go meet the person to buy that from. I'd rather try the piece I want to buy.....

Dude...

You misunderstood my post. I said Craiglist not Ebay. There are craigslists for all 50 states and Canada so you can meet the seller and inspect/try out the merchandise before you buy. I would not buy a guitar off Ebay or anywhere sight unseen and I didn't mean to imply that.

Most stores do not warranty used gear. How much goes wrong with a quality guitar anyway? As long as the neck is straight, the guitar plays okay, stays in tune and the electronics work what else do you need?

You are completely wrong about quality used gear loosing value. If it does that means you paid too much. Take cash with you when you want to buy and offer less than the asking price. Even if it's less than they want, private parties selling guitars are often desperate for money and most people have a hard time saying no to cash waved in their face.

That's how I got my 1986 PRS 24 custom Cherry sunburst, curly maple and birds in flight markers for $900.00. Care to guess what it's worth now?

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 16 2007, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 16 2007, 02:17 PM)
$780.00 Base price.  Just take a look.  Check out the guitar gallery for all the different options.  Les Pauls and PRSs are great  but for the money you can't go wrong.

Carvin's are good guitars too....My ex-guitarist has one. Good tone. About as expensive as the cheaper Gibsons & PRS's

are they carvin models with a tremolo system. im probably heading to the guitar center next thursday and trying out the PRS and Les Paul to see which one has a better feel with what i like to play. i know PRS has a tremolo system, but i dont think LP's have one. we'll find out next thursday smile.gif

QUOTE (Rand @ Aug 17 2007, 07:59 PM)

confused13.gif Dude, any place you buy from will actually have a warranty. Craig's list won't have that. For the record, anything that is bought privately will lose value as well. It doesn't matter where you get it...plus in any store you buy from will have a 30 return policy. Buying online is not very smart for music instruments unless you can go meet the person to buy that from. I'd rather try the piece I want to buy..... [/quote]
Dude...

You misunderstood my post. I said Craiglist not Ebay. There are craigslists for all 50 states and Canada so you can meet the seller and inspect/try out the merchandise before you buy. I would not buy a guitar off Ebay or anywhere sight unseen and I didn't mean to imply that.

Most stores do not warranty used gear. How much goes wrong with a quality guitar anyway? As long as the neck is straight, the guitar plays okay, stays in tune and the electronics work what else do you need?

You are completely wrong about quality used gear loosing value. If it does that means you paid too much. Take cash with you when you want to buy and offer less than the asking price. Even if it's less than they want, private parties selling guitars are often desperate for money and most people have a hard time saying no to cash waved in their face.

That's how I got my 1986 PRS 24 custom Cherry sunburst, curly maple and birds in flight markers for $900.00. Care to guess what it's worth now?

First, I worked at two music retailers for 5 of the last 7 years. I'm quite well aware of price markets regarding music equipment.

Second, unless you live near to the person, this becomes a very moot point. Also, you support taking advantage of someone who is desperate for money?

The point of major music retailers is that you are covered for 30 days (return policy) on used gear as well as new. Furthering that point, the two places I worked for actually took care of the person if there was a defect in it. We thrived on it.

Taking this a little bit further, you can buy a warranty for a little bit of cash & you were covered for usually better than the warranty. Covered for what you paid for the gear & not the pro-rated. Almost every piece of gear drops in value. Those that are deemed worthy, don't. Gibson & Fender are two names that hold market value for most guitars. Ibanez? Nope, never will (that I know of). Most PRS guitar won't hold market value (except private stock). As for your guitar, sounds like someone was desperate for money & took what they could rather than getting market value. So you made out on a deal. That's good for you. But I still stand by my suggestions of steering clear of private sales. Because, you still don't know what's wrong with it & once the sale is done, it's done.