Playstation 3 / PS3

Godeater2112

I looked around and couldn't find another thread except for the ancient one around launch time.

With the price drop on the 60GB version I finally decided to break down and buy one. Haven't played with it too much yet - but very slick interface, internet seems to work quite well, photo slideshow tool is amazing and BluRay titles look amazing.

Still need to try an actual game - I picked up Resistance and The Darkness but haven't tried them yet. Really waiting with bated breath for the fall release schedule including:

Warhawk

Heavenly Sword

Guitar Hero 3

Assasins Creed

Rock Band

Blade Storm

And of course the other future titles like Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Final Fantasy etcetera.

Still waiting to test out the DVD upscaling, and also their online download system.

Anyone else here using a PS3 yet? What do you think of it?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ps3 is a good system without a doubt, but if you wanted games, i would have chose the 360. ps3 has almost nothing compared to the 360. the 360 has been out longer, but it is way easier to develop for which is causing ps3 to lose a lot of exclusive titles. devil may cry 4 is on both systems. resident evil 5 is on 360 only (so far). Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be on both systems and so is Final Fantasy XIII. ps3 is still not that bad of a system, its just it has another year before it starts to shine.

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 20 2007, 03:02 AM)
Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be on both systems

Ouch, is this confirmed?

They lost Assassins Creed, GTA 4, and Devil May Cry 4...Looks like I'll be waiting longer to buy a PS3.

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 20 2007, 04:02 AM)
ps3 is a good system without a doubt, but if you wanted games, i would have chose the 360. ps3 has almost nothing compared to the 360. the 360 has been out longer, but it is way easier to develop for which is causing ps3 to lose a lot of exclusive titles. devil may cry 4 is on both systems. resident evil 5 is on 360 only (so far). Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be on both systems and so is Final Fantasy XIII. ps3 is still not that bad of a system, its just it has another year before it starts to shine.

Ummm Metal Gear Solid is 100 percent PS3 exclusive and Resident Evil 5 is confirmed on PS3 (I watched the trailer from Playstation Store this weekend).

You are correct about far more games on 360 right now (I have a 360 also) but PS3 finally begins hitting their stride with new releases over the next few months and trust me they'll have more kick-ass games that ADD unemployed gamer-philes will know what to do with.

smile.gif

All I know is this video gaming idiot (me), finally played Guitar Hero II for the first time ever this past weekend on 360. Before this I had not seen so much as a screen shot of it.

I was so pissed I had to go back home without it. I'm hooked. laugh.gif Holy shit, am I hooked.

Keep me up to date on how the PS3 is treating you. I'd love to know. trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 20 2007, 12:47 PM)
All I know is this video gaming idiot (me), finally played Guitar Hero II for the first time ever this past weekend on 360. Before this I had not seen so much as a screen shot of it.

I was so pissed I had to go back home without it. I'm hooked. laugh.gif Holy shit, am I hooked.

Keep me up to date on how the PS3 is treating you. I'd love to know. trink39.gif

Guitar Hero is AMAZING. It's all but overtaken our entire house the past year or so and almost every person who has come over and tried it out immediately went out and bought it.

Just been playing Guitar Hero 80s which came out PS2 exclusive a couple weeks ago - and cannot wait to pre-order Guitar Hero 3 and also Rock Band.

Fun frigging party games when people are over enjoying some drinks.

Anyways on PS3 just checked out the downloadable playable demo for HEAVENLY SWORD and WOW. It's like God of War on steroids plus a very hot protagonist woman instead of crusty old Kratos. Any fans of God of War I can almost guarantee will run out and buy a PS3 the moment they see Heavenly Sword for themselves.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Aug 20 2007, 09:21 AM)
ps3 is a good system without a doubt, but if you wanted games, i would have chose the 360.  ps3 has almost nothing compared to the 360.  the 360 has been out longer, but it is way easier to develop for which is causing ps3 to lose a lot of exclusive titles.  devil may cry 4 is on both systems.  resident evil 5 is on 360 only (so far).  Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be on both systems and so is Final Fantasy XIII.  ps3 is still not that bad of a system, its just it has another year before it starts to shine.

Ummm Metal Gear Solid is 100 percent PS3 exclusive

metal gear is actually slated to be release on PS3 First, and a few months later released on the 360.

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 20 2007, 05:32 PM)
ps3 is a good system without a doubt, but if you wanted games, i would have chose the 360.  ps3 has almost nothing compared to the 360.  the 360 has been out longer, but it is way easier to develop for which is causing ps3 to lose a lot of exclusive titles.  devil may cry 4 is on both systems.  resident evil 5 is on 360 only (so far).  Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be on both systems and so is Final Fantasy XIII.  ps3 is still not that bad of a system, its just it has another year before it starts to shine.

metal gear is actually slated to be release on PS3 First, and a few months later released on the 360.

Well that was a rumor posted in Electronic Gaming Monthly about a year ago - and no news since. IGN will even create game profiles for rumored unnamed games slated for release two years from now - but they got nadda for MGS4 except PS3.

If anything at all people think it may be a negotiating tactic (threat) to get more help from Sony to cover development costs.

:cP

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Aug 21 2007, 04:51 AM)
QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 20 2007, 05:32 PM)

Well that was a rumor posted in Electronic Gaming Monthly about a year ago - and no news since. IGN will even create game profiles for rumored unnamed games slated for release two years from now - but they got nadda for MGS4 except PS3.

If anything at all people think it may be a negotiating tactic (threat) to get more help from Sony to cover development costs.

:cP

we'll see next year. a good place for all information is maxconsole.net. trust me ont hat one. they are pretyt much never wrong.

Have had a PS3 since release day and it is the most amazing piece of computing equipment I own. This appliance does everything. Full size Internet browsing, email, IM, online games, shopping, Blu-Ray, HDMI interface... and the list goes on and on. I'm not knocking the 360, nice console, but the PS3 gives you a lot more for your money.

(and you don't have to pay to play online)

Favorite games are:

Need For Speed - Carbon

Motor Storm

Tony Hawk - Project 8

Blazing Angels - WWII

Resistance Fall of Man

On the 73" HD DLP it is truely amazing. Can't wait to get GH3 and Rock Band!

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Aug 22 2007, 04:20 PM)
Have had a PS3 since release day and it is the most amazing piece of computing equipment I own. This appliance does everything. Full size Internet browsing, email, IM, online games, shopping, Blu-Ray, HDMI interface... and the list goes on and on. I'm not knocking the 360, nice console, but the PS3 gives you a lot more for your money.

i wasnt saying the ps3 is a bad system. its a very good system that has a lot of potential, but due to the fact its so hard to develop for, a lot of Sony Exclusives are now going both ways. (feel free to giggle). and there is a reason why microsoft charges for their online play. they keep the network closed, allowing no hackers and are constantly monitoring that, while ps3's open network leaves room for hacks and cheating in game. This is where i do knock ps3. their multiplaying experience is OF NO WAY comparable to the 360. the 360 allows you to go to a voice chat with your friend while you are both playing different games online. your friend quits his game, and he can still jump into a nother game still talking to you, and can easily drop in/drop out into your game. thats the reason why 360 charges to play against people. if you dont want to play against people, you dont have to pay. That is why microsoft has two different modes. Xbox Live Silver and Xbox live Gold. it really isnt that expensive either. only 49.99 for 13 months. thats not bad. its actually cheaper than most mmorpgs nowadays. ps3 is still a bit behind, but i believe it can be a really great system in half a year or so.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Aug 22 2007, 05:20 PM)
On the 73" HD DLP it is truely amazing. Can't wait to get GH3 and Rock Band!

Amen to that brother!

I can't can't can't wait! At least GH3 we are looking at October which isn't THAT far away.

biggrin.gif

I also just installed TVersity on my PC as a media server since I am running Win2K and thus don't get WMP11 - haven't had the time to quite get it working yet but looking forward to wireless access to all my tunes and videos on the big screen!

Oh man.

Just watched a video off IGN of some of their crew play testing ROCK BAND. It looks so awesome!

And the guys playing really really butchered Tow Sawyer.

You can try this link but it may not work if it is for IGN insiders only.

http://insider.ign.com/videos/articles/814/814571p1.html

Can't wait for this!

Ugh, Heavenly Sword got a 7 from IGN UK and Warhawk got a 6.5 from PSM. Not to mention the disappointing scores Lair is getting across the board.

WTF Sony? I wish they'd give me a reason to buy one, the system has so much potential.

Are there any TRF'ers out there with PS3s that do any online gaming? My (slowly growing) list includes:

Resistance - Fall Of Man

Motorstorm

F1 (Formula One)

Call of Duty 3

NHL 08

Tiger Woods 08 (and '07)

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter2

boarder.gif

I've played around with The Darkness and Motorstorm online but been so damned busy haven't had much time to play online.

Maybe when I have some more time during the "witnery months" ahead we can give that a shot some time.

In the meantime I am counting the days until Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band come out!

trink39.gif

Gotta say that Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 is a badass game for the PS3. Great single player, but the online multiplayer is so much fun that it is like crack addictive.

Looking forward to Call Of Duty 4....

Recently finished Assassin's Creed on PS3.

Not sure the rumbling about it being buggy that I had heard - maybe by the time i played it it was all patched up - the game was smooth as butter with zero glitches whatsoever.

Anyways absolutely amazing graphics and piles of very fun game play, witha very fluid control system especially for fights.

My biggest problem with the game however was that they created this massive universe with just so little to do in it... they would have this silly "find the flags" feature in each area, however it was pretty pointless and did little to entice exploration.

Also adding to the empty feeling and lack of replayability was that the missions themselves - at least the secondary missions got really repetitive after a while. Still fun to do, but after a while I found myself doing them jsut for the sake of completion - and not so much for enthrallment.

Regarding the story line... in one word I guess I'd have to say "weird". 95 percent of it takes place in the Middle East of long ago - Damascus, Jerusalem etcetera and this part of the story was awesome. However without spoiling anything they really deviated into this really weird side story that not only was I not expecting, but it was actually quite stupid I thought and actually detracted from the good parts of the storyline...

Overall I am happy that I bought it and played it however at the same time I'm a bit disappointed it could have been SOOO MUCH better - especially given all the hype it had, it wound up not meeting my expectations at all - most of all in the "fun" department.

I'd give this one a 7.0 out of 10.

I also recently started playing HEAVENLY SWORD and I must say that I am shocked that a few people seem to have a "meh" attitude towards it.

So far at least it has been insanely enjoyable and addictive. The graphics are just absolutely gorgeous, the storyline is fantastic so far and the gameplay itself is excellent - quite reminiscent of God of War.

Generally the combat system is pretty good - but either I haven't quite quite got the knack of it yet, or it is somewhat cumbersome / clunky. I find particular opponents seem very frustrating to deal with and I'll sometimes *sigh* and think "Oh no don't tell me I have to fight these guys again...". On the other hand based on other people's comments about the game I expected Heavenly Sword to be a real button masher facing wave after wave of enemies... however I am pleasantly surprised that although there are a lot of battles, that they seem well balanced with other mini-games and exploration at plot moments.

I understand that to play through the entire game may be short for some people (< 10 hours for some apparently...) but haven't finished it yet so not sure how accurate that is personally. Regardless of length though, the immersion that this game provides, the sheer splendor of looking around your environment and the riveting storyline and characters have thus far made this game sheer bliss to play.

I'm considering getting Ratchet & Clank Future. I heard it was pretty good if you like those type of games. I was also considering Uncharted, but I heard the overall storyline was kind of short, ie you can finish the game in about 10 hours.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Jan 4 2008, 01:46 PM)
I'm considering getting Ratchet & Clank Future. I heard it was pretty good if you like those type of games. I was also considering Uncharted, but I heard the overall storyline was kind of short, ie you can finish the game in about 10 hours.

I've heard Rachet is awesome and I've tried about an hour of Drake's Fortune - that one seems awesome also.... wasn't aware of it being that short though.

I just rented Heavenly Sword last night and played for about an hour or so. Very cool.

I have Medal of Honor Airborne, but I'm so used to the PC interface (mouse and directional arrows), that I am incapable of playing the game. That sucks, because it looks awesome.

Motor Storm came with the system and I'm having a blast playing that. I don't have the system hooked up to the internet, so no online play for me for a while.

I also rented the Lego Star Wars thing for the girls. Maybe I'll try that out also.

On the advice from someone on another board, I bought Shadow of the Colossus. It's a PS2 game, but my game is backward compatible. I read through the instructions, and alot of the game involves the vibration in the controller, which I dont' believe is part of the PS3 system. I hope I didn't blow the money on a game I can't play.

Archived