Playstation 3 / PS3

Godeater2112

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 9 2008, 07:03 PM)
Anyone use it to stream videos and mp3s from your PC?  I might buy one just for the blue-ray and streaming capabilities.  I'm not much of a gaming person myself.

I have. It is supposed to be compatible with any media server device that uses DLNA.

I have found a couple of mp3 songs that play fine on my computer, but for some reason, the PS3 won't play them. It says something about incompatible format.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 9 2008, 10:03 PM)
Anyone use it to stream videos and mp3s from your PC? I might buy one just for the blue-ray and streaming capabilities. I'm not much of a gaming person myself.

I have and it works great with latest version of Mediaplayer. Have had no problems playing mp3 and vid files from a PC media server.

It's very cool. cool.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Nov 10 2008, 10:15 AM)
Anyone use it to stream videos and mp3s from your PC?  I might buy one just for the blue-ray and streaming capabilities.  I'm not much of a gaming person myself.

I have and it works great with latest version of Mediaplayer. Have had no problems playing mp3 and vid files from a PC media server.

It's very cool. cool.gif

Do you need HDMI to run the PS3? My TV is so old it only has RCA and S-video. No plans an time soon getting a new TV... then if I do that, I'll need a new amp, new cabinet, digital cable etc. It's such a pain.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Apr 16 2008, 11:33 AM)
bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif

GT5:P is out today kids! Requires a 12-minute offline download (or thereabouts) and of course is in stores as well

I hear it looks gorgeous....

653.gif

It is awesome.

We got it when we got the PS. My favorite game though, is the MotoGP.

Whodathunk? confused13.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 10 2008, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Nov 10 2008, 10:15 AM)

It's very cool. cool.gif

Do you need HDMI to run the PS3? My TV is so old it only has RCA and S-video. No plans an time soon getting a new TV... then if I do that, I'll need a new amp, new cabinet, digital cable etc. It's such a pain.

you dont need HDMI if you dont have a hi-def TV. the standard AV cables that come with the PS3 will work fine.

Anyone use it to stream videos and mp3s from your PC? I might buy one just for the blue-ray and streaming capabilities. I'm not much of a gaming person myself.

How might I set that up?

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Nov 10 2008, 03:40 PM)

How might I set that up?

No idea, but i hear it's not hard.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 10 2008, 12:43 PM)

How might I set that up?

It isn't too bad.

The step by step instructions at the Playstation support site are pretty easy to follow.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Nov 10 2008, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 10 2008, 12:43 PM)

How might I set that up?

It isn't too bad.

The step by step instructions at the Playstation support site are pretty easy to follow.

I set it up today and it works now. It started saying none of the media was compatible, but after a game of Madden it decided that it could read everything.

I put a 320GB drive in my PS3 last night and it was a piece of cake! I got the drive (Western Digital, 5400rpm, 2.5" SATA notebook drive) for a song ($94) and I now have a ton of space. With the 60GB, I had only 11GB free and just picked up games with a lot of downloadable content.

If anyone wants to do this,it was a breeze and in no way voids any PS3 warranty (you can put the old drive back at any time)

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Dec 18 2008, 01:02 PM)
I put a 320GB drive in my PS3 last night and it was a piece of cake! I got the drive (Western Digital, 5400rpm, 2.5" SATA notebook drive) for a song ($94) and I now have a ton of space. With the 60GB, I had only 11GB free and just picked up games with a lot of downloadable content.

If anyone wants to do this,it was a breeze and in no way voids any PS3 warranty (you can put the old drive back at any time)

That's cool man! I've been putting that off but will have to do that soon also. My piddly little drive is slowly but surely filling up, largely thanks to Rock Band downloadables.

smile.gif

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Dec 18 2008, 11:02 AM)

Did you take the original one out, or just add the 320?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 18 2008, 01:44 PM)
I put a 320GB drive in my PS3 last night and it was a piece of cake!  I got the drive (Western Digital, 5400rpm, 2.5" SATA notebook drive) for a song ($94) and I now have a ton of space.  With the 60GB, I had only 11GB free and just picked up games with a lot of downloadable content.

You swap it out WC, its just an unscrew and replace and the PS3 has a utility for backup and restore from the old drive's data.

Easy as pie.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Dec 18 2008, 09:50 PM)
I put a 320GB drive in my PS3 last night and it was a piece of cake!  I got the drive (Western Digital, 5400rpm, 2.5" SATA notebook drive) for a song ($94) and I now have a ton of space.  With the 60GB, I had only 11GB free and just picked up games with a lot of downloadable content.

You swap it out WC, its just an unscrew and replace and the PS3 has a utility for backup and restore from the old drive's data.

Easy as pie.

Cool man, thanks........I think I'll put a new drive in mine also........

trink39.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 19 2008, 09:00 AM)

Easy as pie.

trink39.gif

This video shows you everything you need to know to do it.

The only critical bit of info is that it must be an ATA (SATA) drive and it must be a 2.5" notebook form-factor drive. Most info I have read say that 5400 rpm is desired because they won't overheat the PS3 or contribute to overheating.

PTA

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Dec 19 2008, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 19 2008, 09:00 AM)

Easy as pie.

trink39.gif

This video shows you everything you need to know to do it.

The only critical bit of info is that it must be an ATA (SATA) drive and it must be a 2.5" notebook form-factor drive. Most info I have read say that 5400 rpm is desired because they won't overheat the PS3 or contribute to overheating.

PTA

Excellent info!! Thanks for sharing. Will do this upgrade over the Christmas vacation.

Anyone install Playstation®Home yet? Still beta but pretty cool so far. Can play pool, bowling, video games, movie trailers, songs, etc. Worth checking out.

At the insistence of my girlfriend, I took my PS3 and Rock Band 1 set (which I hadn't hardly touched as I learned solo is kind of boring) to her place so we could have some entertainment for a visiting friend. 6 hours and one added Moving Pictures album pack later, we finally had to stop from exhaustion.

btw, why are there so many disparaging jokes about drummers? Drumming is hard.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Dec 28 2008, 04:38 PM)
Got one of these for Christmas along with S&A Blu ray and Dark Knight blu ray and a few games.
I love it!!

Get on Call of Duty biatch

I will blow you away!!!!!!!!

(add me as a friend........... GRVrush2112)

Some recent game acquisitions for my PS3:

- Little Big Planet

- Resistance 2

- Fallout 3

- Rock Band 2

Overall, I'm still drawn into playing COD World at War over SOCOM: Confrontation. Lately I have been heavily into the Playstation Home beta experience, lots of fun. Little Big Planet is growing on me though.

Archived