Favourite War/Anti-war Song

rickyrob

What is your favourite War-related Rush song?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite War-related Rush song?

• The Weapon
    • Distant Early Warning
    • Red Sector A
    • Between the Wheels
    • Manhatten project
    • Territories
    • Peaceable Kingdom
    • Another.. (..that you didn't think of Ricky!)

Mine is Red Sector A. Such a meaningful song with so few lyrics needed.

I have been watching, with total interest, programs on Nazi Germany, both during WWII and just prior to WWII. There were either so many people frightened of this regime, or else just very ignorant. I came to the conclusion that Hitler and his miserable croneys were completely mad.

I voted for Manhattan Project.

But Red Sector A has a personal meaning, as I live only 15miles away from Bergen Belsen and felt the Story on my own everytime I think of my visit there.

ohmy.gif sad.gif unsure.gif Hard stuff anyway.

'Bastille Day'. Terrific lyrics.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 22 2004, 10:44 AM)

...ooh how could I forget that one. ohmy.gif Medieval war..but war nontheless

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 22 2004, 11:04 AM)

It's all good. We all make mistakes. I put that the Dolphins beat the Steelers when I meant to say Patriots. There's a major screw up for you. joker.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 22 2004, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (afansince74 @ Dec 22 2004, 10:46 AM)

OHHH YEA!!! 1022.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Bastille Day is a sweet song. I love the music that goes along with the lyrics. It sounds so good. yes.gif trink39.gif

doh.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 22 2004, 11:04 AM)

The French Revolution occured between 1789 and 1799. That's hardly medieval. The Middle Ages ended in the early 1300's. Sorry to be so nitpicky, but the historian in me could not let this go. no.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 22 2004, 09:16 AM)
Mine is Red Sector A. Such a meaningful song with so few lyrics needed.

I have been watching, with total interest, programs on Nazi Germany, both during WWII and just prior to WWII. There were either so many people frightened of this regime, or else just very ignorant. I came to the conclusion that Hitler and his miserable croneys were completely mad.

This is an interesting poll and topic. But I do have a comment -- I don't think Hitler was mad. I used to think that. But really, to think he was mad dismisses the fact that he was a popular and charismatic leader who rose to power within the structure of a parliamentary democracy. He set forth his vision for Germany (Mein Kampf), was elected, and then set forth to implement his vision.

To dismiss him as mad is to fail to understand how he rose to power -- and an important lesson is lost.

Moving right along...

I chose Between the Wheels.

QUOTE (Audient @ Dec 22 2004, 12:47 PM)
This is an interesting poll and topic. But I do have a comment -- I don't think Hitler was mad. I used to think that. But really, to think he was mad dismisses the fact that he was a popular and charismatic leader who rose to power within the structure of a parliamentary democracy. He set forth his vision for Germany (Mein Kampf), was elected, and then set forth to implement his vision.

To dismiss him as mad is to fail to understand how he rose to power -- and an important lesson is lost.

Brilliantly put, Audient! yes.gif

I've gone with Red Sector A - not only is it my favourite 'war' song, but its one of my favourite Rush songs period (and a red song to boot).

By others, its between 'Forgotten Sons' by Marillion, 'Eve of Destruction' by Barry McGuire or 'Universal Soldier' by Donovan.

Thanks, Jack!

To me, one of the things that must be remembered is what man is actually capable of. What happened in Germany has been discussed and debated and analyzed and there is no single or simple definitive answer or factor. But you can't just write off Hitler as mad, and the German people (as what, temporarily mad?) for what happened there the first half of the last century.

And to me, that is what is so compelling about that period. The evil then men are capable of.

Perhaps this is better in the political forum.

Bringing it back ... BETWEEN THE WHEELS. Wooo!

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 22 2004, 01:13 PM)
... 'Forgotten Sons' by Marillion ...

Old School Piscene Los Marillios!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 22 2004, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Audient @ Dec 22 2004, 12:47 PM)
This is an interesting poll and topic.  But I do have a comment -- I don't think Hitler was mad.  I used to think that.  But really, to think he was mad dismisses the fact that he was a popular and charismatic leader who rose to power within the structure of a parliamentary democracy.  He set forth his vision for Germany (Mein Kampf), was elected, and then set forth to implement his vision. 

Brilliantly put, Audient! yes.gif

Good point and well taken ...I'm all ears 19.gif

I have been watching recent history programmes that show footage of his rise to power. I admit to being ignorant of all that happened and this is one of the reasons I am showing interest in the programmes.

I probably used the term 'mad' out of context, for I expect he was quite intelligent and knew exactly what he was doing. I should maybe have used the term 'evil', for anyone who can inflict pain, torture and suffering on innocent people must be nothing short of evil.

I did not intend this to be a political debate by the way.

unsure.gif

Archived