New...World Woman

GeddysMullet

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I didn't see any forum for that, and I figured I might as well do it here because, hey, I'm a woman and I have recently discovered the joys of Rush.

Having been into rock'n'roll ever since I was about 5 years old, I've known of Rush since the 70s, but I was never really a fan. Over the past several years, I'd developed an appreciation for them as a result of the fact that a number of important people in my life are big fans, and that I've always been crazy for a good bass line, but I still didn't really "get it." When I found out that there was a Rush gig not too far away from where I live earlier this month, I decided to go check out the show just out of curiosity and for something fun to do, and there, something very strange occurred. I fell in love!

The concert was just amazing. The energy was incredible, the old stuff that I never really appreciated properly sounded fantastic and I loved the new songs. I went right out the next day and bought the new album and now I can't stop listening to Rush. So, here I am!

I hope to find some fun people to talk to who can encourage me in this emerging passion. wink.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forum! bekloppt.gif We're all fans of Rush here, so you came to the right place, plenty of things to say! When did you get to see them? What concert was that?

I saw them at the PNC Bank Arts Centre in New Jersey on the 8th of July. It was just genuinely awesome. I was surprised, really. I've had one of my best friends telling me how great they are for years and I kind of tried to get into them before, but I never thought I'd really love them.

There was just so much joy in the performance, that's what really got me. It's kind of hard to describe, but it was like -- watching them I could just feel how much they love playing together. One of the best things in the world is when it feels like the band is enjoying the gig as much as the audience, and vice-versa! God it was great.

I'm going to the gig in New York City in September with that friend of mine referred to above, and I can't wait to share the 2.gif love!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 27 2007, 11:52 AM)
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I didn't see any forum for that, and I figured I might as well do it here because, hey, I'm a woman and I have recently discovered the joys of Rush.

Having been into rock'n'roll ever since I was about 5 years old, I've known of Rush since the 70s, but I was never really a fan. Over the past several years, I'd developed an appreciation for them as a result of the fact that a number of important people in my life are big fans, and that I've always been crazy for a good bass line, but I still didn't really "get it." When I found out that there was a Rush gig not too far away from where I live earlier this month, I decided to go check out the show just out of curiosity and for something fun to do, and there, something very strange occurred. I fell in love!

The concert was just amazing. The energy was incredible, the old stuff that I never really appreciated properly sounded fantastic and I loved the new songs. I went right out the next day and bought the new album and now I can't stop listening to Rush. So, here I am!

I hope to find some fun people to talk to who can encourage me in this emerging passion. wink.gif

laugh.gif Hey, Welcome to the board! We are pleased you are here!Let me introduce myself. I am Lady April, I am a Geddy freak and this is my favourite smiley moon.gif

A lot of people on the board are like this 653.gif and awesome. Some people make you feel like this pokey.gif or doing this 062802puke_prv.gif . Geddy makes my common001.gif So basically everyone on the board feels like this fing.gif or beathorse.gif this about me but see that is all ok because we all love 2.gif and that is why we're here smile.gif

ph34r.gif Welcome to our home.

Glad to have another female Rush fan join the board! Hope to see ya around trink39.gif

smile.gif Welcome to TRF GeddysMullet, you will love it here with lots of RUSH nuts to get to know. I am an Aussie Male from Sydney and I am usually in a different part of the board but sometimes I stop in here. The NWW are all cool and you will enjoy meeting them. I love your story and keep rocking and discovering all the music that you have missed out on over the years. 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 27 2007, 05:38 PM)
I saw them at the PNC Bank Arts Centre in New Jersey on the 8th of July. It was just genuinely awesome. I was surprised, really. I've had one of my best friends telling me how great they are for years and I kind of tried to get into them before, but I never thought I'd really love them.

There was just so much joy in the performance, that's what really got me. It's kind of hard to describe, but it was like -- watching them I could just feel how much they love playing together. One of the best things in the world is when it feels like the band is enjoying the gig as much as the audience, and vice-versa! God it was great.

I'm going to the gig in New York City in September with that friend of mine referred to above, and I can't wait to share the 2.gif love!

Welcome GeddysMullett! 653.gif trink39.gif This really is the place to be if you're a fan of 2.gif - and if you have questions, there are a ton of people here who can answer them for you smile.gif

I, too, am going to the MSG show on 9/17 - as are a bunch of others from here smile.gif - with my boyfriend and our two good friends from here: Tortoise & Hare, and possibly one other couple as well - we're meeting a bunch of peeps down there. Here's the meetup thread - we'd love to see you down there! MSG TRF Meetup

Thanks for the welcome, everyone, you all made me smile biggrin.gif Lady April's post made me rofl3.gif! Love the creative use of smilies! laugh.gif

Here's a question: If the Rush albums I own are Snakes And Arrows, Hold Your Fire and Permanent Waves, which one should I get next?

ohmy.gif I would say it depends on which phase you feel drawn to at this time. Myself, to be honest I am buying Power Windows for the first time in my life this weekend. It is the ONLY Rush album I don't own. My reason for the desire to buy it is the fact that I've finally looked past Geddy's hair dryer attack in the video and felt in my heart that Mystic Rhythms is an amazing song that I must have. For you to by-pass confusion on which to buy next, watch the vids and one song might stick and you'll need to hear the rest of the album.

How I started my collection, and I do this for ANY band I've ever gotten into, set aside what you do have and go buy the first 3 albums, I garuntee that upon hearing RUSH, Fly By Night and Caress Of Steel in that order, you will be rocking balls and in love with Rush. If you've never heard any of these albums, you're soul will be saved man, ooh yeah! yes.gif 653.gif bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 28 2007, 11:10 AM)
Thanks for the welcome, everyone, you all made me smile biggrin.gif  Lady April's post made me  rofl3.gif!  Love the creative use of smilies!  laugh.gif

Here's a question:  If the Rush albums I own are Snakes And Arrows, Hold Your Fire and Permanent Waves, which one should I get next?

hmmm...i guess (like Lady April said) it would really depend on which time period your looking for....an earlier album, I would suggest 2112 or Hemispheres...I wub.gif Grace Under Pressure - SO many good songs on that album! Signals is awesome too....see, problem is, I love them ALL LOL So it's really hard for me to suggest just one biggrin.gif

Edit: My boyfriend, Der Trommler, suggests getting the live albums - because it's a good sampling of songs, and then the ones you really really like, you get the CD's of - and kinda go from there smile.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 27 2007, 10:52 AM)

That's just awesome biggrin.gif

bekloppt.gif

Today I ordered the R30 DVD. Can't wait to get that one!

I also ordered Vapor Trails because I loved "One Little Victory" and "Secret Touch" at the gig, and because it was only $4. cool.gif

I was watching some clips on YouTube. Also some interviews. How cool are these guys, anyway? This clip is one of the ones I watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcG7dgzG7Lk

It was great hearing Geddy talk about him and Alex writing music together at his home studio. And the bassline at the end of that old performance of Spirit Of Radio is just pure sex! cool.gif

And then there's this!

Does anyone know what the story is with this clip? It's hilarious! All that and a sense of humour, too...*sigh* laugh.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 29 2007, 04:53 PM)
Today I ordered the R30 DVD. Can't wait to get that one!

I also ordered Vapor Trails because I loved "One Little Victory" and "Secret Touch" at the gig, and because it was only $4. cool.gif

I was watching some clips on YouTube. Also some interviews. How cool are these guys, anyway? This clip is one of the ones I watched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcG7dgzG7Lk

It was great hearing Geddy talk about him and Alex writing music together at his home studio. And the bassline at the end of that old performance of Spirit Of Radio is just pure sex! cool.gif

And then there's this!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gwpGXfHmY-A

Does anyone know what the story is with this clip? It's hilarious! All that and a sense of humour, too...*sigh* laugh.gif

2.gif

Geddy made this video clip for The Rick Mercer Report on the Canadian Broadcasting Company in 2004.

Here's Neil's appearance on The Rick Mercer Report. I'm not sure what year it was filmed.

Neil on The Rick Mercer Report

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 29 2007, 04:53 PM)
All that and a sense of humour, too...*sigh* laugh.gif

Plus the kichen sink too? tongue.gif Feel free to throw a preposition in there with the sink laugh.gif . The man is quite the package of a real man wub.gif

unsure.gif

*sweating*

unsure.gif

*falls over in faintness*

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 31 2007, 10:34 PM)
I think I'm in love.

This is just so wrong! laugh.gif

Wrong?

Nah!

Loving Rush (esspecially Ged...) is NEVER wrong! smile.gif

Let's see...

What to get next? There was a sugestion to get something live...

That's a good idea. Listen to the live, and the tunes that really rock you, go get the album that the songs came from. That's what I did.

I started with 2112, on suggestion from a friend. I then got "All The World's A Stage" and "A Show Of Hands". From there, I added to the collection By favourites and working out from there. To a complete collecton of the cds and almost all the dvds as well... biggrin.gif

Oh, and welcome! I'm fairly new here, but already, I feel right at home here. The people here are so wonderful! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif heart.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Haha I can't go into the picture threads up there because I can't think about Rush "like that." laugh.gif But I did find the most stunning picture to use as a desktop in one of the other forums. This one:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushbefore.jpg

What a great shot! I love that live chemistry thing Geddy and Alex have, always pulling faces and grooving on each other's energy yes.gif It makes them as great to watch as listen to! I'm impatient to get my DVD. I hope it comes today!

Off to listen to Snakes & Arrows again... biggrin.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Jul 27 2007, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 27 2007, 11:52 AM)
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself.  I didn't see any forum for that, and I figured I might as well do it here because, hey, I'm a woman and I have recently discovered the joys of Rush.

Having been into rock'n'roll ever since I was about 5 years old, I've known of Rush since the 70s, but I was never really a fan.  Over the past several years, I'd developed an appreciation for them as a result of the fact that a number of important people in my life are big fans, and that I've always been crazy for a good bass line, but I still didn't really "get it."  When I found out that there was a Rush gig not too far away from where I live earlier this month, I decided to go check out the show just out of curiosity and for something fun to do, and there, something very strange occurred.  I fell in love!

The concert was just amazing.  The energy was incredible, the old stuff that I never really appreciated properly sounded fantastic and I loved the new songs.  I went right out the next day and bought the new album and now I can't stop listening to Rush.  So, here I am! 

laugh.gif Hey, Welcome to the board! We are pleased you are here!Let me introduce myself. I am Lady April, I am a Geddy freak and this is my favourite smiley moon.gif

A lot of people on the board are like this 653.gif and awesome. Some people make you feel like this pokey.gif or doing this 062802puke_prv.gif . Geddy makes my common001.gif So basically everyone on the board feels like this fing.gif or beathorse.gif this about me but see that is all ok because we all love 2.gif and that is why we're here smile.gif

ph34r.gif Welcome to our home.

rofl3.gif applaudit.gif 1022.gif wub.gif goodpost.gif

bekloppt.gif welcome to TRF, GeddysMullet trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 1 2007, 08:16 AM)
Haha I can't go into the picture threads up there because I can't think about Rush "like that." laugh.gif But I did find the most stunning picture to use as a desktop in one of the other forums. This one:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushbefore.jpg

What a great shot! I love that live chemistry thing Geddy and Alex have, always pulling faces and grooving on each other's energy yes.gif It makes them as great to watch as listen to! I'm impatient to get my DVD. I hope it comes today!

Off to listen to Snakes & Arrows again... biggrin.gif

2.gif

yes.gif That's Hot! trink36.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 2 2007, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Aug 2 2007, 11:22 AM)
yes.gif That's Hot! trink36.gif

Like this!!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/bobwire/ellen1.jpg

So beautiful!

yes.gif Girlfriend you are soo on my page! trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

Archived