26 replies to this topic

#21 WickedYoungMan

WickedYoungMan

The Seeker

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Jul 23 2007, 08:23 PM)
This album has gotten almost zero promotion from the record label.

The album did receive a bit of promotion and still gets a bit of airplay.  But this is sort of a bad time for all vet acts.

Edited by WickedYoungMan, 24 July 2007 - 10:13 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 jkt2112

jkt2112

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2564 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Jul 24 2007, 05:39 AM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Jul 24 2007, 01:13 AM)
Yeah, Rush are a cash cow for the record label. They are bleeding money on promoting other acts, and they know that Rush have a stabile fan base who will buy their cd's no matter what so why promote? They need to earn some money somewhere.

I think it's a bit more insidious than that. Whether they're doing this consciously or not, I think the record labels have, for ages, promoted mediocre bands, because they're not about the music; they're about the business. The "product" might be inferior, but it's easier to produce. Get your market used to your inferior product and cram it down their throats. Just like McDonald's.

Mediocre musicians, who'll do whatever the record label wants them to do (both in terms of the record itself and its promotion), are a commodity in surplus.

"Art as expression, not as market campaigns."

There's no way a band like Rush can ever fit that model. They're in the same camp as bands like Phish, that way. The record labels don't know how to handle them, but they don't really need to. Just let the band do its thing and the money rolls in. Try to muck with things (like Elektra did when they made Phish do singles and videos briefly in the mid-'90s) and watch it fall apart.

So... let's not worry about S&A not going quintuple-platinum. I just think it would be sad if there are any Rush fans out there who missed out on this because it wasn't promoted enough. (Then again, all Rush fans are rabidly obsessive and come to this forum in the morning before work, right? wink.gif )

Great fu**ng post.

As a Rush fan, S&A was sitting in my mailbox on release day.  I purchased the MVI at BestBuy as soon as that was released...

The reailty, now adays, is that the true money is made on the tour.

I am doing my part!!!

-jkt

#23 mike jones

mike jones

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:55 AM

the music business is hard even for young acts..no one is selling alot other than pop acts like nickelback/daughtry ..and carrie underwood... rush isnt played on mtv..bon jovis records sell ..even though 99% of what you hear on the radio from bon jovi is from one album,,these are pop acts..no bands list bon jovi as an influence .rush is very fortunate in that they do get heard..and are viable after 30-40 years...how many bands will sell 12k /night at premium prices??rush had really 3 mainstream records...pew.moving pictures..and roll the bones.none of the back catalog sold until moving pictures etc..the sales of s & a are really no different than hemispheres or caress of steel. 11 weeks after release.

#24 Snowman

Snowman

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1071 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Jul 25 2007, 01:37 AM)
QUOTE (Room 34 @ Jul 24 2007, 05:39 AM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Jul 24 2007, 01:13 AM)
Yeah, Rush are a cash cow for the record label. They are bleeding money on promoting other acts, and they know that Rush have a stabile fan base who will buy their cd's no matter what so why promote? They need to earn some money somewhere.

I think it's a bit more insidious than that. Whether they're doing this consciously or not, I think the record labels have, for ages, promoted mediocre bands, because they're not about the music; they're about the business. The "product" might be inferior, but it's easier to produce. Get your market used to your inferior product and cram it down their throats. Just like McDonald's.

Mediocre musicians, who'll do whatever the record label wants them to do (both in terms of the record itself and its promotion), are a commodity in surplus.

"Art as expression, not as market campaigns."

There's no way a band like Rush can ever fit that model. They're in the same camp as bands like Phish, that way. The record labels don't know how to handle them, but they don't really need to. Just let the band do its thing and the money rolls in. Try to muck with things (like Elektra did when they made Phish do singles and videos briefly in the mid-'90s) and watch it fall apart.

So... let's not worry about S&A not going quintuple-platinum. I just think it would be sad if there are any Rush fans out there who missed out on this because it wasn't promoted enough. (Then again, all Rush fans are rabidly obsessive and come to this forum in the morning before work, right? wink.gif )

Great fu**ng post.

As a Rush fan, S&A was sitting in my mailbox on release day.  I purchased the MVI at BestBuy as soon as that was released...

The reailty, now adays, is that the true money is made on the tour.

I am doing my part!!!

-jkt

Same here jkt, I terrorized my local CD shop weeks before the release date. They had to laugh the day I came to pick it up. A minute or so after the shop opened.

#25 Da Fly

Da Fly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Creamed corn

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

user posted image

#26 trenken

trenken

Ray Of Sunshine

• Members
  • 3703 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

200k total units sold? Is this their worst selling album to date?

If so I can definitely understand what Neils been saying about financing a full album not really being worth it to their record company if thats all they can sell.

There are some really crappy and generic bands out there selling far more than that easy. If they are banished to just throwing a few tunes up on itunes here and there, well then its better than nothing. Im not gonna bitch about that after seeing those sales. Lucky they are even still around barely pushing 200k units.

#27 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

Go Cocks!

• Members
  • 11865 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 18 2010, 10:34 AM)
200k total units sold? Is this their worst selling album to date?

If so I can definitely understand what Neils been saying about financing a full album not really being worth it to their record company if thats all they can sell.

Wow, that's IT? ohmy.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users