S&A Soundscan Update

Rushman14

Big dropoff this week

In it's 11th week of release, S&A came in at #131 on the Soundscan top 200 with 5,518 units sold for a total of 219,138 units to date. That's a 56% drop.

Looks like last week's surge had alot to do with the MVI release, plus the break in the tour.

It's difficult to fathom that this magnificent album isn't selling better. At least all of us here know greatness when we hear it. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (KevinDallas @ Jul 19 2007, 10:18 AM)
It's difficult to fathom that this magnificent album isn't selling better. At least all of us here know greatness when we hear it. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I actually bow to it's greatness every day.

I think S&A has done quite well considering the label has done nothing to support it.

The days of the multi-platinum sellers are over. They will be few and far between. I doubt there will be many artists that accomplish that feat more than once. (You know, one and done.)

At work, I listen to rushradio.org and am NEVER disappointed!!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you from TRF at the Bowl and in Irvine.

-Jkt

Main stream is what the majority wants, That's why the obsession with easy to digest and comprehend crap like nickleback is so disgustingly popular. RUSH uses to many big words and nobody wants to spend the time and actually "think" while listening to a song. Intellect rock is out...

DUMB ROCK RULES!!!$$$$ 1022.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jul 20 2007, 06:14 PM)
Main stream is what the majority wants, That's why the obsession with easy to digest and comprehend crap like nickleback is so disgustingly popular. RUSH uses to many big words and nobody wants to spend the time and actually "think" while listening to a song. Intellect rock is out...
DUMB ROCK RULES!!!$$$$ 1022.gif

smile.gif Yeah but here at TRF and all the other members of the other boards know good music when we hear it 2.gif will always rule. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Is it possible to get a number from the biggest download sites on how many times S&A is downloaded? I guess it must be several hundred thousands all together.

When VT came out, downloading was not such an big issue as it is today.

QUOTE (KevinDallas @ Jul 19 2007, 12:18 PM)

Sales have never really been an indicator of quality. So much great music flies under the radar all the time, while we get Kid Rock and Brittney Spears rammed down our throats. It's pretty sad.

Snowman,

Excellent point about the downloaded album...how many times has S & A been downloaded?

It's too bad that if the entire album is downloaded that it can't be added to the total of the cd sales to make an 'total sales' total. They should really do that....or maybe they do and I just don't know what it's called, etc.

QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Jul 20 2007, 01:44 AM)
I think S&A has done quite well considering the label has done nothing to support it. 

The days of the multi-platinum sellers are over.  They will be few and far between.  I doubt there will be many artists that accomplish that feat more than once.  (You know, one and done.)

At work, I listen to rushradio.org and am NEVER disappointed!!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you from TRF at the Bowl and in Irvine.

-Jkt

Thanks for the head's up on the web-radio site. applaudit.gif I've added it to my favorite's page at work. Within a half-hour, I was hooked on the site. They played part of Hemispheres and The Camera Eye. I'd never heard them on regular radio. BTW, they are playing "Xanadu" right now. Too damn cool!!!

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 20 2007, 08:21 AM)
It's difficult to fathom that this magnificent album isn't selling better.  At least all of us here know greatness when we hear it.  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

Sales have never really been an indicator of quality. So much great music flies under the radar all the time, while we get Kid Rock and Brittney Spears rammed down our throats. It's pretty sad.

B*tchney Sneers and Kid Crock aren't selling big anymore as well. Those two cockroaches wore out their welcome! It is now Carrie Underwood, Smiley Miley Cyrus (a/k/a Hannah Montana, who Tony's daughter) and fake gangsta sh*t like TI and poseur rockers like Craphill Ravine and Smelly Crockson.

I think blaming the mainstream audience for not wanting or being able to appreciate this music is missing the mark. People aren't going to buy something they don't know exists! This album has gotten almost zero promotion from the record label. Shame on them! I'm surprised it's sold as much as it has.

Yeah, Rush are a cash cow for the record label. They are bleeding money on promoting other acts, and they know that Rush have a stabile fan base who will buy their cd's no matter what so why promote? They need to earn some money somewhere.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jul 23 2007, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 20 2007, 08:21 AM)
It's difficult to fathom that this magnificent album isn't selling better.  At least all of us here know greatness when we hear it.  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

B*tchney Sneers and Kid Crock aren't selling big anymore as well. Those two cockroaches wore out their welcome! It is now Carrie Underwood, Smiley Miley Cyrus (a/k/a Hannah Montana, who Tony's daughter) and fake gangsta sh*t like TI and poseur rockers like Craphill Ravine and Smelly Crockson.

Shows you how in tune I am with pop culture. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jul 24 2007, 01:13 AM)
Yeah, Rush are a cash cow for the record label. They are bleeding money on promoting other acts, and they know that Rush have a stabile fan base who will buy their cd's no matter what so why promote? They need to earn some money somewhere.

I think it's a bit more insidious than that. Whether they're doing this consciously or not, I think the record labels have, for ages, promoted mediocre bands, because they're not about the music; they're about the business. The "product" might be inferior, but it's easier to produce. Get your market used to your inferior product and cram it down their throats. Just like McDonald's.

Mediocre musicians, who'll do whatever the record label wants them to do (both in terms of the record itself and its promotion), are a commodity in surplus.

"Art as expression, not as market campaigns."

There's no way a band like Rush can ever fit that model. They're in the same camp as bands like Phish, that way. The record labels don't know how to handle them, but they don't really need to. Just let the band do its thing and the money rolls in. Try to muck with things (like Elektra did when they made Phish do singles and videos briefly in the mid-'90s) and watch it fall apart.

So... let's not worry about S&A not going quintuple-platinum. I just think it would be sad if there are any Rush fans out there who missed out on this because it wasn't promoted enough. (Then again, all Rush fans are rabidly obsessive and come to this forum in the morning before work, right? wink.gif )

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Jul 24 2007, 05:39 AM)

I think it's a bit more insidious than that. Whether they're doing this consciously or not, I think the record labels have, for ages, promoted mediocre bands, because they're not about the music; they're about the business. The "product" might be inferior, but it's easier to produce. Get your market used to your inferior product and cram it down their throats. Just like McDonald's.

Mediocre musicians, who'll do whatever the record label wants them to do (both in terms of the record itself and its promotion), are a commodity in surplus.

There's no way a band like Rush can ever fit that model. They're in the same camp as bands like Phish, that way. The record labels don't know how to handle them, but they don't really need to. Just let the band do its thing and the money rolls in. Try to muck with things (like Elektra did when they made Phish do singles and videos briefly in the mid-'90s) and watch it fall apart.

So... let's not worry about S&A not going quintuple-platinum. I just think it would be sad if there are any Rush fans out there who missed out on this because it wasn't promoted enough. (Then again, all Rush fans are rabidly obsessive and come to this forum in the morning before work, right? wink.gif )

Great fu**ng post.

As a Rush fan, S&A was sitting in my mailbox on release day. I purchased the MVI at BestBuy as soon as that was released...

The reailty, now adays, is that the true money is made on the tour.

I am doing my part!!!

-jkt

the music business is hard even for young acts..no one is selling alot other than pop acts like nickelback/daughtry ..and carrie underwood... rush isnt played on mtv..bon jovis records sell ..even though 99% of what you hear on the radio from bon jovi is from one album,,these are pop acts..no bands list bon jovi as an influence .rush is very fortunate in that they do get heard..and are viable after 30-40 years...how many bands will sell 12k /night at premium prices??rush had really 3 mainstream records...pew.moving pictures..and roll the bones.none of the back catalog sold until moving pictures etc..the sales of s & a are really no different than hemispheres or caress of steel. 11 weeks after release.

QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Jul 25 2007, 01:37 AM)
QUOTE (Room 34 @ Jul 24 2007, 05:39 AM)

Great fu**ng post.

As a Rush fan, S&A was sitting in my mailbox on release day. I purchased the MVI at BestBuy as soon as that was released...

The reailty, now adays, is that the true money is made on the tour.

I am doing my part!!!

-jkt

Same here jkt, I terrorized my local CD shop weeks before the release date. They had to laugh the day I came to pick it up. A minute or so after the shop opened.

Archived