Piano Tribute ... Reality!!!

tmrpro

Do you like the songlist?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the songlist?

• I love it!
    • It's alright.
    • I hate it!

Vitamin records sent me a contract to do a piano tribute to Rush!!!!

This is the songlist that they sent me:

1. Spirit Of Radio

2. Tom Sawyer

3. Red Barchetta

4. Closer To The Heart

5. Fly By Night

6. New World Man

7. Subdivisions

8. Big Money

9. Trees

10. Limelight

11. Freewill

12. (original composition)

The last song will be one that I will write as a personal tribute to Rush.

Let me know if you like the songlist...

I voted "It's allright." They gave you mostly radio-friendly songs. "Tom Sawyer" doesn't seem like a piano song (the verses, mainly), but if there's a way to adapt it, you will! "New World Man" is another iffy piano track, IMO (too riff oriented?). The rest are cool..."Fly By Night," "Red Barchetta" and "Freewill" will sound awesome. After hearing how well you handled Geddy's bass lines in "The Trees," you'll have some fun with "Big Money." And I can't wait to hear the beginning to "Spirit of Radio." Please keep us posted on this project! We're all psyched for you!

Other songs I thought would translate well to piano were "Bravado," "Distant Early Warning" and "Different Strings."

Wow! Congratulations! I love the list. Closer to the Heart will sound awesome. So will Red Barchetta and the others 1001001 mentioned. I think New World Man will be a great piano song. that bass line in the beginning will sound really cool. I think Limelight will sound great too. Congrats again; I can't wait to hear every thing!

Hey tmrpro that is amazing news!! Congratulations!! trink39.gif trink39.gif

Please keep us up to date on the details. When you start recording and how it all is coming along.

WOW - this is truly exciting. Thanks for sharing this with us!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm with 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 on this. It seems to me that the record company have gone for radio hits in a bid to appeal to casual fans. I would question whether or not casual fans would buy this.

I'd have liked to hear Overture/Temples of Syrinx, Xanadu and YYZ. I loved your version of The Trees, but what would be nice would be reinterpretations of the tunes - In The Mood as a Chopin nocturne, Red Sector A as a Beethoven sonata or Analog Kid in the style of Debussy.

One thing I am sure of tmpro - you'll do a fine job.

Looking forward to hearing it.

That's awesome tmrpro! Congrats. Love the setlist. I semi-agree with the comments about the use of some of the more "pop" tunes, but it'll sound great... I mean, you're doing it after all... how else COULD it turn out! yes.gif

madra sneachta Posted on Dec 21 2004, 08:06 AM
I'd have liked to hear Overture/Temples of Syrinx, Xanadu and YYZ. I loved your version of The Trees, but what would be nice would be reinterpretations of the tunes - In The Mood as a Chopin nocturne, Red Sector A as a Beethoven sonata or Analog Kid in the style of Debussy.

Some great ideas here madra! Plant those seeds for the follow-up cd....... yes.gif

BTW, hope you can include the harpsichord in there somewhere, like the Broon's Bane you suggested as a Trees intro new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif That's my only request (like that matters)! Keep us posted on progress and throw us any audio clips you can from time to time! Thanks for all your hard work... You ROCK! 1022.gif 2.gif

I think resist would make a good piano song. Since the boys made the acoustic version sound so good, I think the piano would only compliment this song.

Some of the selections do seem a little odd for piano, don't they? Several years ago I got my arm twisted into playing piano for a friend's wedding, and during the lengthy period while guests were showing up, I was basically just improvising stuff off the top of my head..."Time Stand Still," "Bravado," "Resist," etc, things that were kind of melodic and lent themselves well to piano. "Tom Sawyer" with nothing but piano should be interesting indeed...can't wait to hear what you do with it. cool.gif

Archived