is rock music for everyone?

mychemicalromanceis#1

1022.gif is rock music for everyone? 1022.gif

i guess you can say "rock" is a type of music that is energetic. I asked some people if they would ever listen to rock music? They said no! because they say they could never be able to keep up with the music. Someone else said rock music is a type of music that only druggies listen too. i asked some "punks" why they listen to rock music? They said,"because there's something about it that makes us feel free to do whatever we want, to act like we are without having people criticise us." i do agree with them, i listen to rock music and i'm no druggie! i guess some people have other taste in music.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 20 2004, 03:33 PM)
Rock music is for people who like Rock music. No music is for everyone.

Well said!

I think rock music is in your heart and soul...

The first time I heard real rock music was Deep Purple, and it just "fit in", that was my kind of music,

My mom said, oh that will pass, but I still love rock (and metal) music, and that just will stay forever....

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 20 2004, 05:30 PM)
Rock music is for anyone, not everyone, but definitely oneone.

I'm a rocker through and through. My favorite bands are AC/DC, SkynYrd, Def Leppard, Van Halen _ NOT Van Hagar................hehe

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Dec 21 2004, 08:22 AM)
My humanities teacher from high school once said there are really only two kinds of music - good and bad. The difference between good and bad is what you perceive good and bad music to be. She was rather eclectic, she'd play anything from Mozart to Springsteen.

Sounds like a cool teacher.

Most of the time I hate rock music ( but always love Rush I'm listening to my new re-mastered Moving Pictures even now), and here why ( I was out partiyng last night that's why I'm grumpy):

Not enough emphasis on what the actual sound is. How come it's pretty much just bass and guitar and drums. It just doesn't provide a wide sonic pallett.

Lacks space. It is very urgent, its natural urge is to fill space rather than let music breathe. Drummers, you don't have to put a fill in every four bars.

Lacks groove. It just so bang bang and lacks flow, it's not exactly Havey Mason in the Headhunters is it

Smothers good songs. How many time do you hear an acoustic version that's so much better than the full version. The loud arrangement lacks intamacy, so it's good for a bit of rage, but not much else.

It's unsocialbe. I can talk over the top of it and I can't dance to it, all that bang and shout (okay, I know I'm clutching at straws in my rant against rock now)

erm, it's not sexy

yours with hangover trink38.gif

Rock music isn't for everyone. I don't like dance music because it all sounds the same and just about anyone can make dance music if they have rhythm. If you've heard one dance song, you've heard 'em all.

Rock music allows for creativity. I'm talking along the lines of prog rock bands like Rush, Yes, and current bands like Porcupine Tree.

Apologise for earlier grumpy post, maybe rock isn't for tired people with hangovers

I use different types of music and listen to different stuff to suit different needs - dancing, relaxing, and I listen to Rush, I guess, to lose myself in the complexity and passion and intensity.

I slightly dissagree with circumstantial tree, there are a couple ( at least 3 ) great dance songs.

The funny thing is, Dance music enthusiasts say the same about rock. It's down to creativity, and while I agree with BigG about the need for a broad pallette, there's nothing to say rock can't have that.

The problem with many bands is they find a formula and stick to it. Some, Status Quo and Motorhead come to mind, manage to pull it off to a greater or lesser extent. Others just implode and become irrelevant (take a bow, Oasis).

Some dance acts like Faithless and the Chemical Brothers are innovative and fresh, others just stick to a stodgy formula (take a bow, Prodigy).

No single form of music is for everyone, but what Rush emphasises is that within a genre like rock it is possible for a band to remain fresh and relevant for 30 years.

QUOTE (ChefEllwood @ Dec 21 2004, 07:42 PM)
Whatever music you listen to, as long as it makes you happy, or provides you with some kind of emotional connection, then it's good. wink.gif

I agree, well said.

I love all kinds of music, I try not to label it.

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!! (and whatever else I like) tongue.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Dec 21 2004, 08:01 PM)
The funny thing is, Dance music enthusiasts say the same about rock. It's down to creativity, and while I agree with BigG about the need for a broad pallette, there's nothing to say rock can't have that.

The problem with many bands is they find a formula and stick to it. Some, Status Quo and Motorhead come to mind, manage to pull it off to a greater or lesser extent. Others just implode and become irrelevant (take a bow, Oasis).

Some dance acts like Faithless and the Chemical Brothers are innovative and fresh, others just stick to a stodgy formula (take a bow, Prodigy).

No single form of music is for everyone, but what Rush emphasises is that within a genre like rock it is possible for a band to remain fresh and relevant for 30 years.

goodpost.gif

What is rock music anymore? Like honestly....but I listen to rock and the different veins of it for sure....like Franz Ferdinand, The Pixies, Rush (duh) , Iron Maiden, Pantera, Bryan Adams...at times, these are a few. There are too many forms of rock today, like look at Rush it goes into so many different types, like prog and Alterative rock. I just listen to what makes me happy! I don't care what people say about what I listen to anyways........yea...thats jazz....Jazz is weird....kinda like the same thing that goes on in my head! laugh.gif trink36.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 23 2004, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 23 2004, 03:32 PM)
I don't bother with genres and classifications dicating what I listen to. If a song is good I'l listen to it no matter what genre its from.

trink39.gif

Much agreed

Archived