What's the most overrated Rush song

drewb93

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 4 2007, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Jul 4 2007, 01:45 PM)
I don't think Rush has a single overrated song. no.gif

I agree with that. Most people stopped caring about Rush after the mid 80s. From then on it was just the hardcore fans left, and most people seem to really hate the work they put out since. If Rush put out a country record, many of the hardcore fans would tell you it's great because it's Rush. But most people in the world dont view things that way, and to them Rush has been a garbage band for a very long time now. Doesn't matter to me, I still like most of those albums aside from T4E.

It's music and people are going to have opinions. We all fell in love with Rush's music at some point or another, and when you build a deep affection to a band and their music, it becomes much easier to like music you may not normally have liked. I don't like lite rock at all, yet I still like Presto and RTB. If those exact albums were put out by another band I would probably hate them, but ive found a way to like them just because it's Rush. I hate both of those albums for at least the first 10 listens, but I grew to like them. If they werent from Rush I wouldnt have gotten past the first listen.

I don't know if music fans in general feel that Rush is a garbage band since the mid-80's but I agree with alot of your post.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 4 2007, 05:59 PM)
If those exact albums were put out by another band I would probably hate them, but ive found a way to like them just because it's Rush.

That sounds an awful lot like blind loyalty (no offense intended).

I like most of the Rush catalog - but I'm not about to force myself to like something "just because it's Rush". fing.gif tongue.gif

Anyways, back on topic - most overrated Rush song: Closer to the Heart, Roll The Bones, maybe Tom Sawyer (it's more overplayed than anything, but still a good song)

You make a lot of good points treken. I was one of the 1st people to see 2.gif play in the UK at a half full Glasgow Apollo in 1977 and saw the every tour up to and inc the Hold Your fire tour.

The release of a new LP was a major event and I purchased every album from AFTK up to G.U.P on the day of release but then they lost me.

For that 10 or so years (@77-@87) I was a 2.gif fanatic but unfortunately the music they started to produce didn't turn me on, Plus they stopped touring the UK. After a long break of even playing the old albums I started to listen to them again and fell in love with them all over again but the albums that left me flat still do I'm afraid.

Iwas at R30 in Glasgow (2nd row) and will be at the S&A gig (2nd row again)

LONG LIVE 2.gif......once a fan always a fan NeilFinal.gif

Tom Sawyer for sure, only because when you say the name Rush to a non-fan, it is the only song the average Joe seems to know. I think it is an amazing tune, but I hate that it has defined the band to the general public and it has been a bit overplayed through the years.

Closer to the heart - Never understood why so many at the concerts could sing this one word for word but nothing else. I like the song but think it is very over rated among Rush fans.

QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Jul 5 2007, 01:50 PM)
For me it is not Tom Sawyer but the other one from that Album

LIMELIGHT

It was , is and always will be my least favorite track on Moving Pictures.

Not that it is not a decent song , because we all know what a great album MP is ... But for me that is the most overrated Rush track.

Well i love limelight,they played it on bbc radio2 this morning at 3.50am when i was driving to work this morning,but limelight is a very strong track on a very good album so people are going to have favourites biggrin.gif i have never felt any of rushs tracks are overrated 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (By-Tor2112 @ Jul 18 2007, 06:35 PM)
In My opinion, Tom Sawyer, is the most overrated Rush song, seriously, its not that great of a song. It's okay, but i can barely stand to listen to it anymore.

Is it not great or just overplayed to death? confused13.gif

I find "Tom Sawyer" to be one of the few "perfect" songs I've ever heard. I really can't find anything to criticize about it, except that it is overplayed. And being overplayed has nothing to do with the merits of the song.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Raynman @ Jul 18 2007, 08:52 AM)
Two complete albums: T4E and VT. Both terrible.

exactly. add Bones to that too. and whoever said The Camera Eye hasn't a clue.

EDIT:SPELLING

Edited by TheCameraEye

Freewill.

First, the verse:

Great words, but the verse melody really feels sluggish. It's because Geddy's voice is doubling Alex's guitar - blech.

It's also because of that weird alternating time signature of 6/4 and 7/4.

I know that Limelight alternates uses that same trick too, but at least it uses 3/4 and 4/4, which seems to work a lot better.

Second the solo:

Alex is a spaz here.

Ged and Neil rock -- they sound great -- but the guitar is just way too much. He needed some crafting, some restraint, and maybe a note that does NOT have 16 as a denominator lol.

• Like 1

CLOSER TO THE HEART.

ugh

THE TREES

great music ---awful lyrics

LA VILLA STRANGIATO

Brilliant bits marinating in a lot of fluff.

YYZ

yyzzzzzzzzz *snore*

:hail:

Edited by chemistry1973

Hemispheres. I love it but it's a bit too sterile (and possibly too repetitive) to compare with 2112 or Xanadu.
  • Like 1

Half the World

The English language has no words to describe how awful this song is.

If you rank it in the top 164, it's wildly overrated.