What's the most overrated Rush song

drewb93

I do not dislike this song, in fact, I'm pretty bummed they aren't playing part of it on the current tour, but "2112" is a little overrated. Musically it rocks and it has some of Geddy's best singing, but the lyrics tend to get a little corny, IMHO. Great, but not as great as its reputation would lead you to believe, hence it's overrated!

None, all Rush music is underrated according to me.
  • Like 1

None, all Rush music is underrated according to me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Let me rephrase myself: In a Rush fans' eyes, what Rush song is overrated? I agree that Rush music is underrated by the mass population, but those of us who are enlightened ( wink.gif ), which Rush songs are overrated?

Almost every band has a song you cannot hear anymore.

For Example: Rolling Stones - Satisfaction

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Golden Earring - Radar Love

For Rush there is no song like above because you never hear them on the radio so never a song you have hear too much.

"A Passage to Bangkok."

Sure, if you're a pothead, it's fun... but the theme of toking across Thailand is a little stupid compared to the serious messages in Neil's other songs. If I were the band, I'd be embarrassed by this one.

And yet, a lot of fans like it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 4 2007, 12:48 PM)
"A Passage to Bangkok."

Sure, if you're a pothead, it's fun... but the theme of toking across Thailand is a little stupid compared to the serious messages in Neil's other songs. If I were the band, I'd be embarrassed by this one.

And yet, a lot of fans like it.

But the riff is so awesome..... That's why I like it.

I haven't even been within 100 feet of marijuana in my life! laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 3 2007, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 3 2007, 07:45 PM)
Tom Sawyer or Closer to the Heart some to mind....

Over played? yes.gif Overrated? no.gif

Not overrated at all in my opinion. Their really great songs. Overplayed though I would definitely agree with, but they dont play closer to the heart anymore anyway so I guess that one doesnt count, but it was played on every tour since AFTK.

But honestly I dont care to see them play Tom Sawyer ever again. I'd rather them use that time on tour to pull out another song they never play. But I know that song will never go away until Rush does.

QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Jul 4 2007, 01:45 PM)
I don't think Rush has a single overrated song. no.gif

I agree with that. Most people stopped caring about Rush after the mid 80s. From then on it was just the hardcore fans left, and most people seem to really hate the work they put out since. If Rush put out a country record, many of the hardcore fans would tell you it's great because it's Rush. But most people in the world dont view things that way, and to them Rush has been a garbage band for a very long time now. Doesn't matter to me, I still like most of those albums aside from T4E.

It's music and people are going to have opinions. We all fell in love with Rush's music at some point or another, and when you build a deep affection to a band and their music, it becomes much easier to like music you may not normally have liked. I don't like lite rock at all, yet I still like Presto and RTB. If those exact albums were put out by another band I would probably hate them, but ive found a way to like them just because it's Rush. I hate both of those albums for at least the first 10 listens, but I grew to like them. If they werent from Rush I wouldnt have gotten past the first listen.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 4 2007, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Jul 4 2007, 01:45 PM)
I don't think Rush has a single overrated song. no.gif

I agree with that. Most people stopped caring about Rush after the mid 80s. From then on it was just the hardcore fans left, and most people seem to really hate the work they put out since. If Rush put out a country record, many of the hardcore fans would tell you it's great because it's Rush. But most people in the world dont view things that way, and to them Rush has been a garbage band for a very long time now. Doesn't matter to me, I still like most of those albums aside from T4E.

It's music and people are going to have opinions. We all fell in love with Rush's music at some point or another, and when you build a deep affection to a band and their music, it becomes much easier to like music you may not normally have liked. I don't like lite rock at all, yet I still like Presto and RTB. If those exact albums were put out by another band I would probably hate them, but ive found a way to like them just because it's Rush. I hate both of those albums for at least the first 10 listens, but I grew to like them. If they werent from Rush I wouldnt have gotten past the first listen.

goodpost.gif We seem to have the same opinion. I probably wouldn't be listening to a lot of the songs if Rush weren't the ones playing them. I was actually thinking about that the other day while listening to VP, an album I'm having a hard time really "connecting" with, but I keep trying because it's 2.gif , after all. If it were any other band, I think I would've given up by now.

For me it is not Tom Sawyer but the other one from that Album

LIMELIGHT

It was , is and always will be my least favorite track on Moving Pictures.

Not that it is not a decent song , because we all know what a great album MP is ... But for me that is the most overrated Rush track.

Edited by Syrinx Priest

New World Man. Of all the songs from Rush to actually chart. It is the weakest song on a phenomenal album.