Is HYF really that bad?

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (spitball @ Jun 22 2007, 03:50 PM)
Hold Your Fire and Power Windows are my least favorite Rush albums. I am really into the Terry Brown material for the most part. Even the newer Rush albums don't move me anything like the older ones do.

Maybe you can seek out some Terry Brown solo albums and sell all your post 1982 Rush albums then you'll be much much happier...

See how I've changed your life for the better?

smile.gif

Only Presto and RTB are below HYF in my ratings.

QUOTE (spitball @ Jun 22 2007, 03:50 PM)
Hold Your Fire and Power Windows are my least favorite Rush albums. I am really into the Terry Brown material for the most part. Even the newer Rush albums don't move me anything like the older ones do. So, with all that said, I do have to say that Time Stand Still is an awesome song, one of Rush's best.

That's pretty ironic considering the reason they got rid of terry brown was because they didnt think Signals was produced well enough. They got new producers created solid albums out of both power windows and hold your fire.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2007, 01:35 PM)
HYF is a bloody great album and probably the best bass album overall of Geddy's career...

There are some great bass lines on HYF yes.gif I've learned Open Secrets, and it's a lot of fun to play trink39.gif

I love all the Rush albums, each one has some very strong songs. There all great!

Oh and HYF IS a very buitiful album.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Jun 22 2007, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2007, 01:35 PM)
HYF is a bloody great album and probably the best bass album overall of Geddy's career...

There are some great bass lines on HYF yes.gif I've learned Open Secrets, and it's a lot of fun to play trink39.gif

Wow - bass player!

About the only Rush I can handle on bass would be YYZ on medium mode on Guitar Hero II.

That's awesome you are into it though. I actually have a bass and a little amp but almost never ever play it - for me it's more about spending precious free time on the guitar.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jun 22 2007, 04:27 PM)
HYF is one of my top 5 Rush albums. One of the ways in which I rate albums is by how many "duds" are on the album...tunes I usually always skip over. HYF has a couple (Tai Shan & High Water)

I used to be like that, the first few months of listening to that album. Liked all the songs except for the last 2. Then when I came back to it a little while after that, not only did I love the album even more, but I also loved Tai Shan and High Water. The whole album from start to finish is just insane now.

I think Hold Your Fire is much more of a lyrical album than some of their others, like the lyrics here are very emotional and poignant.

I would say there are 5 very good tracks on it (IMO):

Force Ten

Open Secrets

Prime Mover

Lock and Key

Turn The Page

The above songs are my 5 favorites and are the best songs on the album IMO.

Here are the 5 decent-to-poor tracks on it (IMO):

Time Stand Still (decent)

Second Nature (lyrics are very moving, but musically, it's VERY poor)

Mission (just can't get into this one, not that bad though)

Tai Shan (decent)

High Water (poor)

Sorry guys.. eh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2007, 02:35 PM)

His best bass album? I would disagree.....although it's good.......I would say 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres, PeW, and MP are better.......and his bass tone on HYF is weak....

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jun 22 2007, 04:27 PM)

Mission is especially sentimental for me...I used it for a music video I produced honoring Mississippi State's 1996 Final Four team. Used a shot of 2 of the players consoling each other near the end of the semifinal game (a loss to Syracuse...22 freakin' turnovers) along with the line "It's cold comfort to the one's without it...". Gets me all misty every time.

awesome!

Like most Rush albums it is hard not to associate it with a time period in your life. Signals and MP were high school friends and experiences.

HYF is the album that alot of non -Rush fans seem to like. My wife's college roomate loved "the red album" and was definitely not a Rush or rock fan in the least.

I also can't separate the HYF tour ( the one were Alex started to speak again Worcester 12/2 and 12/3 87). The most energy live I had seen to that point and until T4E which to me began the current touring cycle.

Like most good music and particularly Rush music the times I put this album on bring me right back to those times and places. Each album is amazing that way.

I've got a brand new S&A cd I'll trade straight up for a used HYF cd...anyday :-)

So yeah, I liked HYF, and need to re-add it to my collection.

Yes..."sentimental" is a good way to describe my relationship with HYF. It was my first concert (I was 17). All of the songs are attractive in some regard.. I definitely seem to separate the songs by the ones that are more "lyrical" vs the ones that are more "musically" moving. Even when I listen to High Water, I love the bass lines, but I particularly enjoy the lyrical arrangement when it intensifies.

..."we still feel that relation when the water takes us home..."

which then later becomes...

..."we still feel that ELATION...

I would imagine that the fan who enjoys HIGH WATER lyrically, would also like SPINDRIFT lyrically.

Tai Shan is a great song, but it separates itself from the rest. Another words there are times when I'm really into HYF, but Tia Shan throws me off my tempo when I'm jammin' out.... 1022.gif

• Like 1

no, Hold Your Fire is pretty solid. some of Geddys best bass playing.
  • Like 1

I think it's a terrific album. But I agree with a lot of other people...it's not in my top 5 fave albums...none of their songs are on my top favorite list. But still, its a great piece of work full of emotional and touching songs. Mission and Time Stand Still are my favorites from the album. They were the ones that hit me immediately. Second Nature, Prime Mover, Lock and Key, and Force Ten are also really honorable mentions. It is a very underrated album by Rush. Does it compare to Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves...?? NO. But it's still a great listen. Lyric-wise...the band has never lost it.

Hold Your Fire was to me the last great Rush album. Songs like Prime Mover, Turn The Page and Open Secrets make me feel just as much as anything released before it.

Every album since has had excellent songs but just hasn't held up as a whole.

• Like 2

QUOTE (bmorechowder @ Jul 3 2007, 10:33 PM)
Hold Your Fire was to me the last great Rush album.

hey, that's my line.

laugh.gif

HYF was my fourth Rush purchase and my sixth over all. I had 2112, MP, GUP, and a disc my teacher made with AFTK and Hemispheres on it and I wanted to grab the "worst" Rush albums so I picked this one and RtB up over a three day period and fell in love with both. HYF has amazing Bass playing and I feel that along with PoW and VT, HYF is Neil at his best lyrically.

All Rush albums have their plusses and minuses. I love it when folks say that a particular record is not in their top 5.

The BOYS have nearly 20 studio albums!!! (I am a CPA and rounding up for posting purposes. And secretly hoping that 20 studio albums becomes a reality.)

In high school, I said that if Rush put out a disco album, I would learn to like it... (Thank goodness, they did not put me to that test...) I later changed that to "rap album" and they next released Roll the Bones.

I wouldn't put it in my top ten, but it's a decent album. There are a few forgettable tunes on that album and I feel like they didn't really break any new ground. HYF represents the end of the 80s to me, as they went another direction with Presto. That album does have its moments though.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2007, 03:35 PM)

I agree that Geddy's bass really stands out on this album. I gave it another try in my Walkman this morning - it's a good album but like someone said earlier, it sounds very different if you compare it to any other Rush album. It's much smoother - nothing very hard on there.