Is HYF really that bad?

Gedneil Alpeart

I listened to HYF after a long time yesteday. What a beautiful piece of work. The music is so dynamic and there's such beautiful song writing and deeply moving lyrics. A very heartfelt and contemplative record. A lot here don't like it. For some reason lately, I too have tended to skp this album a lot, but I feel I'm missing out! It's a very poppish sounding record by classic Rush standards, but also very colorful and with good range. The whole record has a really dynamic and deep personality.

Listen to the lyrics of Second Nature. Absolutely beautiful. Talks so much about social bonds and the distances between us. The lyrics cry out for a more compassionate and generous world. Brings tears to my eyes sometimes.

• Like 3

HYF is not my favourite album, it's not in my top 5, but it's not bad. I try to listen to as often as I can even though I only really dig 3 songs on it. Maybe it'll grow on me, just like GUP! yes.gif
  • Like 1

You know, I feel that "Time Stand Still" should have been a number 1 hit on the charts back then. It has everything in it to make it a blockbuster song. It doesn't really matter now, but if you play this song to anyone in the public, I bet you most would love it.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 22 2007, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Jun 22 2007, 11:44 AM)
HYF is not my favourite album, it's not in my top 5, but it's not bad.  I try to listen to as often as I can even though I only really dig 3 songs on it.  Maybe it'll grow on me, just like GUP! yes.gif

Which 3 songs?

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Mission

For some reason that I can't really explain, the other songs don't grab me as much. They're still good songs, but I just can't get into them, as opposed to say, all the songs from S&A. Now that's a different story. yes.gif

QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Jun 22 2007, 01:33 PM)
HYF is not my favourite album, it's not in my top 5, but it's not bad.  I try to listen to as often as I can even though I only really dig 3 songs on it.  Maybe it'll grow on me, just like GUP! yes.gif

Which 3 songs?

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Mission

For some reason that I can't really explain, the other songs don't grab me as much. They're still good songs, but I just can't get into them, as opposed to say, all the songs from S&A. Now that's a different story. yes.gif

But what about High Water, Prime Mover and Turn the Page??

They all rip.

I love HYF!

NeilFinal.gif

for me yes, it is that bad. that is just my 2 cents. i dont listen to it at all. i dont even know 1 person that likes it. the crowd i grew up with still hang with dont listen but, to each is own. 1022.gif

This album is definitely up there with my all-time favorite Rush albums yes.gif It took a few years to grow on me, but I've come to love it. smile.gif Simply great trink39.gif
  • Like 1

QUOTE (New World Manny @ Jun 22 2007, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Jun 22 2007, 01:33 PM)

Which 3 songs?

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Mission

But what about High Water, Prime Mover and Turn the Page??

They all rip.

I love HYF!

NeilFinal.gif

Well see, for me, they just don't rip at all! So I don't know what to say. confused13.gif Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

I hadn't listened to this in a long time, until about a week before S&A came out when I did my countdown thread, where I listened to one album a day in order until the new one came out. Here's what I said about it then:

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 25 2007 @ 02:27 PM)
Hold Your Fire has always been a middle-of-the-pack Rush album for me. I don't have a problem with any of the individual songs, none of them are anywhere near as bad as, say, "Nobody's Hero" or "Dog Years." I really like a lot of the songs, particularly "Force Ten," "Prime Mover," "Lock and Key," "Mission," and "Turn the Page." But this album listened to as a whole is just really samey and monotonous. I'm glad they ditched the synths after Hold Your Fire.

But it's not a bad record.

That pretty much still works for me.

I haven't heard Hold Your Fire, but Time Stand Still is one of my favorite Rush songs. It has a very un-Rush sound to it in general, but in parts you can feel classic Rush elements coming through. How does the rest of album compare to Time Stand Still?

QUOTE (Syaoran_2001 @ Jun 22 2007, 11:17 AM)
I haven't heard Hold Your Fire, but Time Stand Still is one of my favorite Rush songs. It has a very un-Rush sound to it in general, but in parts you can feel classic Rush elements coming through. How does the rest of album compare to Time Stand Still?

I'd say get it. It's not my favorite album but there's definitely enough worthwhile material to make it worth the purchase.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 22 2007, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 22 2007, 02:18 PM)
You're not missing very much....

Disagree. My second favorite album (next to Snakes and Arrows).

Cool.

Power Windows is starting to finally grow on me after 3 years of owning the album, but Hold Your Fire remains my least favourite Rush album. I'll try to listen to it again in the next couple of months.

Hold Your Fire and Power Windows are my least favorite Rush albums. I am really into the Terry Brown material for the most part. Even the newer Rush albums don't move me anything like the older ones do. So, with all that said, I do have to say that Time Stand Still is an awesome song, one of Rush's best.

HYF is one of my top 5 Rush albums. One of the ways in which I rate albums is by how many "duds" are on the album...tunes I usually always skip over. HYF has a couple (Tai Shan & High Water), but the rest of the tunes are so excellent that I can easily overlook the weak ones.

I think Mission, Time Stand Still, Force Ten, Turn The Page, & Prime Mover are some of their best tunes.

Mission is especially sentimental for me...I used it for a music video I produced honoring Mississippi State's 1996 Final Four team. Used a shot of 2 of the players consoling each other near the end of the semifinal game (a loss to Syracuse...22 freakin' turnovers) along with the line "It's cold comfort to the one's without it...". Gets me all misty every time.