What's next for Terry Gilliam?

Jack Aubrey

From Dark Horizons

A few weeks ago Dreams interviewed Terry Gilliam in Canada where he has been shooting "Tideland". The interview is now at last up on the web. In it he talks about this project, the status of "The Brothers Grimm", and what he might do next.

How's Tideland going?

"Surprisingly well.... almost disturbingly well. I think maybe after today we're probably one day over schedule, but for the first five weeks we've been right on schedule...I think we've got a pretty accurate version of that book in the script. As we're working through it, we've changed lines and moved things around because they play differently when you actually start working with the actors. But hopefully we're true to the book".

What is the current status of The Brothers Grimm?

The current status of Grimm is still a little bit unclear. Up until a few days ago we thought we had to deliver the film for financial reasons by the end of March next year. But now I've just been told I have to deliver the film sometime in June. Due to the funding, there's restrictions on when it has to be delivered, so that's now the current date - we have to deliver by June. And at the moment over here Lesley Walker, who's also editing Tideland, and I have been working on the weekends on Grimm. We've still got quite a few shots that aren't finalised on Grimm cgi-wise. In the end there's been about 750 cgi shots, and there's about 50 that aren't finished yet. And right now there's a lot of going round in circles about how much is left financially and the budget to pay for these things and how many shots are critical. So there's a lot of negotiations going on. It was finally agreed that I would finish the film with my cut with no re-shoots. That's been agreed, that is the current plan."

What is next for you?

I don't know. We're still trying to rescue Quixote from the clutches of the former production company and insurance company. Johnny Depp is in London. We keep talking about Quixote, and we keep talking about Good Omens. So there's a lot of talk going on. Now that I'm sitting in Regina making a film, with about 5 weeks to go, I have no real interest in doing anything else except getting through this thing. So these things all float around. When I get back to London, I'll have a better idea of where we're going and what we'll do next"