My band's version of "Far Cry"

Man that was awesome! I think you're the first I've heard to cover it. Great job. The chorus on your guitar is dead on. My only comment would be the feel of the song. The chops are definitely there from all members of the band but the feel is very stiff sounding to me.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jun 21 2007, 01:42 PM)
Man that was awesome! I think you're the first I've heard to cover it. Great job. The chorus on your guitar is dead on. My only comment would be the feel of the song. The chops are definitely there from all members of the band but the feel is very stiff sounding to me.

Thanks for your comments! I agree, it came out a bit stiff... Part of the problem is that I do not have the means to record live off the floor, so it was all tracked seperately. As well, being a new song, it does not have the flowing feel of one that we have been rehearsing for years. Still, it was fun to record it early on!

QUOTE (PW_Guitarist @ Jun 21 2007, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jun 21 2007, 01:42 PM)
Man that was awesome!  I think you're the first I've heard to cover it.  Great job.  The chorus on your guitar is dead on.  My only comment would be the feel of the song.  The chops are definitely there from all members of the band but the feel is very stiff sounding to me.

Thanks for your comments! I agree, it came out a bit stiff... Part of the problem is that I do not have the means to record live off the floor, so it was all tracked seperately. As well, being a new song, it does not have the flowing feel of one that we have been rehearsing for years. Still, it was fun to record it early on!

That's got to be it then. If you were all in the same room, the energy would have been different I'm sure. When I recorded with KirkDs's drum tracks, I played along with the tracks many, many times before I recorded it just to try to get the feel right. It's very difficult.

The music sounds okay......but honestly the vocals don't do it for me.......the singer should sing more natural rather than attempting/straining to sound like Geddy......

Thanks Pete! I know how exact and authentic you are in your performance!

I went through about 7 remixes until I had one that everyone was (mostly) happy with. My equipment has its limits and I didn't want to fall into the trap of bringing up everyone's levels up until it became a mess, like I had done before. I tried to keep the same mix as on S&A, and as a guitar player, I also felt the guitars were a little low there too, so I did it on purpose. There's 8 tracks of drums, 4 of vocals, 7 guitar tracks, and 1 bass track. A little of it was lost in the MP3 transfer as well - the CD sounds better, of course.

Rushfan, I know exactly what you mean. I rehearsed the song many times and did many takes before I was satisfied. My drummer came from out of town to do this so he didn't have as much time as I did. We also recorded some older stuff which we were more familiar with and that came together much more smoothly.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 21 2007, 08:59 PM)
The music sounds okay......but honestly the vocals don't do it for me.......the singer should sing more natural rather than attempting/straining to sound like Geddy......

Interesting point, although that pretty much is his natural voice, which lends itself better to the newer stuff than the older (IMO). He did mention that he had to use a different vocal technique than he does when we do the earlier songs, so it was a bit new for him. We did a lot of experimenting with the vocal tracks, including some double tracking of the main vocal which we had never done. S&A gave him a whole new respect for Geddy as a singer.

Nice job on this song!

All the parts are there but it's just not mixed right. I would say nearly all the levels are fine except the vocals, they need to come way up.

Overall, good work man.

I could do a quick "master" of this song if you would like that?

Thanks for the comments!

Launchpad, I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could master the song, as I have no mastering capabilities whatsoever on my equipment. That is just a mix of the song, there is no compression. Also, I don't have a real vocal mic and had a lot of problems getting even levels on the vocals.

Thanks again!

QUOTE (PW_Guitarist @ Jun 22 2007, 07:46 AM)
Thanks for the comments!

Launchpad, I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could master the song, as I have no mastering capabilities whatsoever on my equipment. That is just a mix of the song, there is no compression. Also, I don't have a real vocal mic and had a lot of problems getting even levels on the vocals.

Thanks again!

Sure no problem. I will knock it out a little later today.

The vocal level in the mix just needs to be a lot louder. Has nothing to do with the mic you used. If you can't get the vocals loud enough in the mix, then you need to bring everything else down. See what I'm saying?

I think the music is incredible, being a singer im always critical of vocalists so i would say the vocals are not bad, they could however use a bit more balls and emotion. overall grade, B+ new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif Edited by tick

QUOTE (mars_volta @ Jun 22 2007, 03:45 PM)
the vocals do NOT need to be louder. they need to be compressed.

Totally awesome cover of FC mate, nice one!

Totally agree with Mars, the vocals need to be compressed - to the hilt in the mix.

The overall mix could vastly benefit from a mastering.

Hey launchpad put your mastering up on the forum for us all to hear 1022.gif

S..t man, I wish I had my equipment at hand, I'd master it also...Damn I miss my equipment sad.gif

Love the guitar sounds and tone too 1022.gif

Good job man!

Ok, here's a quick remaster. There are some annoying low end overtones that I couldn't quite isolate but overall it's improved ( i think cool.gif ).

http://www.mikekreidel.com/temp/audio/far_cry_remaster.mp3

(for the record, I just returned from the formula 1 race in Indianapolis last weekend and my ears are still a bit toasted)

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 22 2007, 02:42 PM)
Ok, here's a quick remaster. There are some annoying low end overtones that I couldn't quite isolate but overall it's improved ( i think cool.gif ).
http://www.mikekreidel.com/temp/audio/far_cry_remaster.mp3

(for the record, I just returned from the formula 1 race in Indianapolis last weekend and my ears are still a bit toasted)

Wow Mike, great job - thanks! It's night and day! The highs finally came out. My drummer brought in his Paragons for the occasion, and now you can hear them...

I use a Tascam 2488 DAW. I should probably join the modern age and just do it with ProTool on a computer, but I am a hopeless knob-twiddler. The Tascam is a great tool, but it is pretty much useless for compression and mastering.

Do you mind if I put up your version with proper credits on the website?

Deadwing, the acoustic guitar is there in the background, but I might have buried it too much in the mix. Check Launchpad's version, it comes out better.

PS - we also did "The Trees" during this session - a rough mix can be found here (advance exclusive for TRF readers!):

http://www.drumphil.ca/paul/Trees.mp3

Thanks again!

Thanks man. Feel free to use that version anywhere you wish. I was thinking it might be too bright, but if you like it then all's good. If there is anything you don't like about it just let me know and I'll make some adjustments.

You should send me the original ".wav" file so I can apply the mastering to it. Then you can burn quality cd's.

When your ready to make a cd, I'll master the whole thing for you.

With the stand-alone DAW's like the 2488, the most important thing is to send them a perfectly clean, hot signal and don't use any of their built-in processing during the tracking.

Edited by launchpad67a