Manhattan Project

barney_rebel

Discuss.

So you have a song that's got a pretty sad ending, but yet the music itself is very uplifting? What gives?

We've had this discussion before - the lyrics in the song state Rush isn't taking any sides to the invention of the bombs, but are recalling the events during that time.

What an ending of the song to eh?

Imagine a man when it all began

The pilot of "Enola Gay"

Flying out of the shockwave on that August day

All the powers that be, and the course of history,

Would be changed forevermore...

i agree that the best part is that is doesn't pass judgement on the invention or it's use. it simple is.

It's just like the Enola Gay in the smithsonian. The plaque just gives the name, and date. noting else. it's simple and understated.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 15 2004, 03:36 PM)
Imagine a man when it all began
The pilot of "Enola Gay"
Flying out of the shockwave on that August day
All the powers that be, and the course of history,
Would be changed forevermore...

I absolutely love those lyrics...esp. the "flying out of the shockwave" part. There's so much power in Ged's voice there.

Manhattan Project is, for me, one of the best of Neil's 'documentary' style lyrics. As has been said, there is no overt coming down on one side of the other with his words yet I get a sense of sadness that such drastic action was thought to be necessary during the second World War. Its almost as if the lyrics are mourning the loss of innocence as the nuclear age began.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 15 2004, 05:27 PM)
Its almost as if the lyrics are mourning the loss of innocence as the nuclear age began.

Excellent description Slain! goodpost.gif That's Exactly what it's saying. IMO, I think it works BECAUSE it's told from that "casual observer" point of view.

To my mind, there IS an element of dismay evident in the lyrics, especially in

Whoever found it first

Would be sure to do their worst

They always had before..

.. and the reference to the "brightest boys" playing with the "biggest toys".

Lyrically, its a song that definatly provokes deeper thoughts then almost any other song I've listened to. Musically, it falls just shorter of it, but I think that was more because they were trying to dive deeper into the synth sound of the era. Personally, its not my favorite track off Power Windows, but it is still enjoyable. I went to the NASM that opened near Dulles Airport in VA last winter, and was able to see the Enola Gay as it is on display there. I couldnt get the song out of my head during the entire trip.

I don't want to put a dampner on things, but I never really got into this song.

I think, at heart, it's quite a small song, but it has this incredibly overblown production, with big synth sounds, massive echo, sweeping strings and the like. for me, on this track producion drowns the song. It really works on Territoires and Middletwon dreams though...

Disco

its all a matter of taste I suppose. Personally, despite my hot/cold reactions to Power Windows, Manhattan has always remained a favourite.

It certainly was one of my brother's favourite Rush tracks - especially the 'Flying out of the shockwave' section.

I'm a big fan of this tune, but yet I just don't listen to it anymore like I used to. If it comes on during my all Rush on random episodes then great!!

One thing I always went crazy over is Neil's drum part during the second verse. I think it's fantastic and it always stands out to me.

Oh and it's a song I've never seen them perform live. That's something I was hoping they would have played for R30.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 18 2004, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 18 2004, 07:06 PM)
This song reminds me of "The Fountain Head" by Ayn Rand....I dunno why

The Weapon reminds me of The Fountain Head. yes.gif

OOOOOO yes! that one too for sure! trink36.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 18 2004, 02:58 PM)
We're learning about this right now in history, I might take in the CD and ask if I can play the song sometime in class. 1022.gif 2.gif

If you can't play it could ask if the lyrics can be discussed. Just a suggestion. confused13.gif

Archived