Queen to tour in 2005

Brutal Truth

I'm sorry, I used to be a huge Queen fan many years ago, but this smacks of cynicism of the worst kind. Suffice to say I won't be going...

From Rolling Stone dated 12/14/04

Queen Reunite for Spring

Rockers re-form with Bad Company's Paul Rodgers

Queen is mounting their first tour since the death of frontman Freddie Mercury from AIDS in 1991 -- with former Bad Company and Free singer Paul Rodgers at the helm. The veteran hard rockers will be playing several European dates next spring, and the shows will feature both Queen and Rodgers material.

The inspiration came this September at the Fender fiftieth anniversary bash, where Queen guitarist Brian May and Rodgers -- who joined the Firm with Jimmy Page in the mid-Eighties and reunited with Bad Company in the late Nineties -- performed the classic Free song "All Right Now." "We were both so amazed at the chemistry that was going on," May writes on his Web site, "that suddenly it seems blindingly obvious that there was 'something happening here.'"

Queen and Rodgers also played together last month when Queen was inducted into the U.K. Music Hall of Fame. According to May, the positive reaction from that performance led to more specific tour plans.

Queen's last shows with Mercury were in 1986; afterwards, the band stopped touring due to Mercury's illness. Since his death, the surviving band members have reunited for a handful of special occasions -- such as the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in 1992, their induction into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2001, and most recently at the 46664 AIDS benefit concert in Cape Town, South Africa. May and Queen drummer Roger Taylor have also been busy as the musical directors of We Will Rock You, a musical featuring twenty-five Queen songs which has been a success in London and is currently playing at the Las Vegas theater, Paris Las Vegas.

About the idea of touring again after such a long hiatus, May writes, "It's very exciting . . . suddenly the Queen Phoenix is rising again from the ashes."

DAVID CHIU

(Posted Dec 14, 2004)

Sounds reminiscent of the Doors of the 21st century which I saw last year. Ray Manzeric and Robbie Kreiger had Ian Asbury of The Cult to act as Jim Morisson. I must say, he made a dead on performance of Jim, from the clothing, the dancing, the singing and screaming. It was still kinda strange though seeing a fully accomplished musician in his own right portraying Jim, but it still was a great performance.

I dunno how to feel if Queen were to regroup with Paul Rodgers and call themselves Queen. They all were integral parts, but Freddy was the epitomy of a showman, he is Queen. Still though, it would probably be the only chance I would have at ever seeing a Queen concert, so I would go. Did you guys know that Queen only toured the US twice? Once for The Game, and again for It's A Kind Of Magic.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 14 2004, 10:37 PM)
Rodgers can't hit the notes Mercury used to, can he? confused13.gif

Nobody can.

Paul Rodgers is going to have to sing it differently.

I think it'll be interesting.

I loved Queen, and I love Paul Rodgers.

Depending on the price and venue, I may just go.

QUOTE (furie @ Dec 14 2004, 10:32 PM)
they want to reform, fine. just don't call it Queen!

I agree....get together as a band if u want but don't be ripping off people by saying u are Queen...If 3 members of G 'n R can form a new band with another well known singer like Scott Weiland and call themselves a new name (Velvet Revolver), and be successful, they can as well. Pathetic. Too much of that rice going on. (The Doors....give me a fargin' break!)

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Dec 15 2004, 07:30 AM)
You'd have to call 'em "Queen, with Paul Rodgers."

What would it sound like if you heard Neil and Alex playing 'Tom Sawyer' and it was, say, Robert Plant on vocals? unsure.gif

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Dec 15 2004, 10:28 AM)
Awww there goes Barney dissing Sammy. sad.gif

Roth was great live (so I heard) but can you say FLAKE??? laugh.gif

No I was totally being sarcastic - Sammy was one of the reasons why I started listening to them back in 1991 (first concert I've been to ever)! I totally loved his voice (plus he is a hunk).

My friend lent me the For Unlawful and Rush ESL tapes.... loved them both. I immediately bought RTB that fall a(if my memory serves correctly)... slowly my love for Rush left them in the dust...

Archived