Mission

barney_rebel

Discuss.

I love the sound to this one - very uplifting. It sounds although it's a follow-up to Marathon. Some say it's a sappy one, but I really like it.

I can't listen to this tune as of late though - it reminds me of something I had a really hard time dealing with. Thanks to those that helped me through it, especially AGP (you're a great friend).

Though it doesn't take away what a great song it is. Discuss away!

AWWWWW!!! Sweets, I know how hard this was for you, and you are showing strength, and healing... I am proud of you. I am here for you if you need me. Always, best friend. wub.gif

A 'spirit' with a vision is a dream, with a misson...

Oh, God, this song has such deep meaning, and its really moving me now... the whole album is that way.

Love it, love it, love it! Athene2112 and I were discussing this on CP before and we had both agreed that "Mission" is like Part 2 of "Middletown Dreams".

Middletown Dreams is about just the dreams and nothing more, but Mission is about doing whatever is necessary to make the dreams come to life. You can't just sit and dream all the time. You have to work for what you want and you've got to have the desire and the drive to motivate you. When it's done, you can feel the satisfaction and pride in it all.

I also see another aspect. It talks about how we sometimes look up to certain people and dream how we can be like them and assume "they have it all", when it's quite possible that they wish to be more down to earth like us. This is certainly the case of celebrity. They have money, but they rarely have a normal life due to paparazzi, tabloid lies, no privacy, etc...and they find themselves wishing for a more "normal" life. And since Neil is not fond of over eager fans, I'm sure he was writing this from a personal perspective.

I wrote in another thread that when I went to the HYF show, I got some real motivation to enter college and do something with my life. Simply inspirational and unforgettable.

The words in Mission almost seem like a testament to the very select few in history who saw things no-one else (not even oneone) could. Those artistic/architectural visionaries who changed the world, letting nothing stop them. Stopping was never a thought in there mind. And these ambitions and obsessions, how it forced upon them such sacrifice to where they wished to be ordinary yet knew they couldn't be.

And still, these words are written right down to the common man (like me) who finds himself literally ignited from within and believing things can happen even when odds suggest they can't. "We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise".... HUGE.

Match such forceful lyrics with music that sets your soul free. It's yet another song who's emotional drive makes me feel like I can lift a mountain, or step over it. I agree with Barney that this song is a perfect 'counterpart' to Marathon - and in some strange way.... Losing It. I always group these three together and it really can be a gut wrenching ride.

I always thought Mission should be used during the last few days of the Olympics when they splice the highlights together to some inspirational song that looks to capture the feel and emotion of the games. The winning... the losing... the sacrificing of everything for that one moment of glory that will cast an eternal mark in history. Mission should be that song.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 13 2004, 03:56 PM)
I always thought Mission should be used during the last few days of the Olympics when they splice the highlights together to some inspirational song that looks to capture the feel and emotion of the games. The winning... the losing... the sacrificing of everything for that one moment of glory that will cast an eternal mark in history. Mission should be that song.

That's beautiful, pag man. smile.gif

Mission has always been one of my favourite Rush songs. Lyrically, I find it inspirational and emotional and it has stuck in my mind as a highlihgt from the HYF tour.

Like Jacob's Ladder, it really is a case where the marriage between music and lyrics are amazing. Where the rest of the band kick in after Geddy's keyboard intro, it really is like a spirit bursting its earthly chains and taking flight.

Fantastic.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 13 2004, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 13 2004, 03:56 PM)
I always thought Mission should be used during the last few days of the Olympics when they splice the highlights together to some inspirational song that looks to capture the feel and emotion of the games.  The winning...  the losing... the sacrificing of everything for that one moment of glory that will cast an eternal mark in history.  Mission should be that song.

That's beautiful, pag man. smile.gif

Aww shucks. [there needs to be a blushing smiley]

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 14 2004, 09:42 AM)
Yeah Pag - that was some serious writing.  You write at all for a living or as a hobby?

ohmy.gif really? wow Barney thank you!! No I don't do any writing at all. I think I suck at it laugh.gif - I always get myself trapped in trying to find the right word. It's horrible.

This is such a nice compliment - you just made my day!! biggrin.gif

Geddy doesn't get enough credit for the vocal melodies he writes, and "Mission" is one of his best. I sometimes listen to this song and just concentrate on the vocals. It's a very busy melody, but it's beautiful.

The instrumental section is great too, especially the bass/miramba section.

I don't like it. Either because it's on HYF or because I don't like HYF and this song contributed to that.

This song was a regular mass exodus for every show I saw it performed (at least 4 or 5).

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 13 2004, 06:42 PM)
Mission has always been one of my favourite Rush songs. Lyrically, I find it inspirational and emotional and it has stuck in my mind as a highlihgt from the HYF tour.

Like Jacob's Ladder, it really is a case where the marriage between music and lyrics are amazing. Where the rest of the band kick in after Geddy's keyboard intro, it really is like a spirit bursting its earthly chains and taking flight.

Fantastic.

Well put, Slaine! I hear that, too.

The beginning vocals are wonderful.

"Hold your fire..." gets me shivers every time.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 15 2004, 12:38 AM)
I don't like it. Either because it's on HYF or because I don't like HYF and this song contributed to that.

This song was a regular mass exodus for every show I saw it performed (at least 4 or 5).

Well on the UK dates for the HYF tour I attended, the crowd went ape. HYF seems a very popular album over here and Mission is one of the most popular tracks

Misson DOES sound like "Marathon II" if it had a part to it.

I think Rush does seem to have little suites that are connected somewhat intentionally or unintentionally.

Mission is another great part of the musical place Lee and Lifeson were at the time of going up the scale slowly to make it sound full...and they did a hell of a job on it, like with Mission, Marathon, Prime Mover, Presto (the song) and things like that.

Natural Science, I feel, was the beginning of that building-sound they had. Losing It seemed to be a stepping stone towards that Power Windows/Hold Your Fire sound. G.U.P. doesn't seem to have any songs like that and sounds more like The Police on Coke.

Archived