Hot Stove Baseball

anagramking

We used to do this thread at the old rush.net website. I kind of miss it, so I'm starting the thread here. Besides, I can only talk so much politics on here before my brain gets fried. Baseball fans feel free to jump in. Let's have fun, and please try to keep the bitter rivalries (like Yanks/Red Sox) out of it if you can. I know it's tough sometimes, though.

Anyway, looks like the Cubs and the Yankees are the two front runners for Beltran. Houston offered Beltran well below what his agent was asking. Will the Cubs actually spend the money to get Beltran, or will the Yankees show up with an ungodly sum to make sure nobody else can sign him? The Cubs actually signed Garciaparra, which is a shock to me. I really expected him to take Anaheim up on that three year deal instead of the Cubs' one year deal. Nomar seems to like it here in Chicago, and he seems to like the direction the team is going in. The Cubs still can't find a new home for Sammy. It's pretty clear they want to deal him, and the clubhouse doesn't look too inviting for Sammy anymore. Word is that Magglio Ordonez, the now former White Sox right fielder (very underrated, but is he healthy?), is interested in moving to the North Side. The D-Backs want to move the Big Unit, and the Yanks want him. Only problem is they have no prospects to give, so they might ship a package that includes Vasquez to the White Sox, who would in turn send a package to Arizona that includes Paul Konerko. (Did I get that right? lol.) The D-Backs made a splash by signing Glaus and Russ Ortiz recently. I think they need more than that, though. It's sad seeing my hometown team falling apart as they have. They are strapped financially because they can't share in MLB TV revenues, yet. They got nothing for Schilling, and the Sexson trade blew up on them. My old favorites, the Dodgers, look like they're on the right track now. Hopefully they're rediscovering what Dodger Blue is all about. Once Ruppert Murdoch took over, they became lost in that front office.

Any other thoughts and observations out there? Only two and a half more months until pitchers and catchers report.....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Pedro will play for Daddy now? Wow. And I just can't imagine Wells in a Red Sox uniform. Amazing that that guy still is pitching. I had him on my fantasy team last year and he would usually pitch seven good innings, get no strikeouts, and the bullpen would blow it. I wonder how much Pedro has left, though. He's not the same anymore.

I never heard they didn't get along before. I grew up in Phoenix and stay in touch out there. They used to play golf together, I think. Schilling was in awe of the Unit. When Schilling came to Phoenix initially, he had always thought he was the most intense, competitive guy around, but changed his mind when he met Johnson. Maybe they kept that stuff under wraps, though. There's a lot of stuff like that we would never know.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 12 2004, 11:18 PM)
I never heard they didn't get along before.  I grew up in Phoenix and stay in touch out there.  They used to play golf together, I think.  Schilling was in awe of the Unit.  When Schilling came to Phoenix initially, he had always thought he was the most intense, competitive guy around, but changed his mind when he met Johnson.  Maybe they kept that stuff under wraps, though.  There's a lot of stuff like that we would never know.

Be cool if that isn't true...maybe it's not. Gotta say Sox are for sure favs to repeat if they do get randy....Randy, Curt, Wells....not a bad trio of vets to anchor rotation

That rotation would be ironic because after 2001 the DBacks tried to add Wells to the rotation. They were thisclose to signing him, then Steinbrenner stepped in and offered way over value for Wells. Colangelo never forgave Steinbrenner for that move. When the Schilling sweepstakes happened last off-season, the Yanks inquired, and Colangelo wanted Nick Johnson and Alfonso Soriano, which was a not so polite way of saying no. Instead, they basically gave Schilling away to the Red Sox.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 12 2004, 11:27 PM)
That rotation would be ironic because after 2001 the DBacks tried to add Wells to the rotation. They were thisclose to signing him, then Steinbrenner stepped in and offered way over value for Wells. Colangelo never forgave Steinbrenner for that move. When the Schilling sweepstakes happened last off-season, the Yanks inquired, and Colangelo wanted Nick Johnson and Alfonso Soriano, which was a not so polite way of saying no. Instead, they basically gave Schilling away to the Red Sox.

Yeah I remember reading all about that in Wells book.

Danny Kolb goes to the Braves in exchange for prospects. Smoltz goes back into the rotation, where he's always wanted to be. I liked how Kolb threw inside to Vlad and Manny in back to back at bats at the All Star Game.

Sosa for Vasquez is another one I heard. Sosa would DH, obvously. Vasquez seriously disappointed last year. I drafted him fourth last year, expecting big things, and was sorely disappointed. I wonder if Vasquez just needs to get out of New York. Then again, I can't imagine that Sosa could handle New York, either. Cubs are still pursuing Beltran, but getting rid of Sosa still looks necessary for them to make a deal like that. Sosa for Cliff Floyd has been talked about forever, but that's about it. The Cubs are going to have one messed up clubhouse if they can't unload Sosa. He opted not to suit up for the final game after the team had been officially eliminated the previous day, without informaing anybody that he would be unavailable for the game.

The Red Sox tried to trade Manny and Mientkiewicz(?) to the Mets for Piazza and Floyd and Matsui (or some such combination therein), but even the Mets weren't interested in taking a big contract. Supposedly Oakland offered any of their big three for Vernon Wells straight up and it was rejected. Yankees are screwed this winter because they have no prospects to give away anymore. They could turn into the Yankees of the late 80's soon at this rate. No word yet on what happens to Giambi and his fat contract. Even the Yankees aren't giving Boras what he wants for Beltran, surprisingly. Sexson to the Mariners, I hear.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 13 2004, 02:31 PM)
The Red Sox tried to trade Manny and Mientkiewicz(?) to the Mets for Piazza and Floyd and Matsui (or some such combination therein), but even the Mets weren't interested in taking a big contract. Supposedly Oakland offered any of their big three for Vernon Wells straight up and it was rejected. Yankees are screwed this winter because they have no prospects to give away anymore. They could turn into the Yankees of the late 80's soon at this rate. No word yet on what happens to Giambi and his fat contract. Even the Yankees aren't giving Boras what he wants for Beltran, surprisingly. Sexson to the Mariners, I hear.

Jays would be STUPID to trade Wells at all...especially with Delgado leaving town...Signing Koskie was a great move for Jays...Sox should keep Manny around...he's one of major reasons Sox are champs despite the hefty contract

That is so Mets, isn't it? They really blew it with the Kris Benson trade this past season. I'm just amazed that the Mets always seem to sign guys who are on their way out and spend too much money doing it. I figured the Mets would be the only team to go after Sosa, too.

Interesting trade just happened here. Carlos Lee goes to the Brewers, and the White Sox get Scott Podsednik and Vizcaino (not Jose, but the marginal relief pitcher). Lee had power and was solid in the lineup, batting fifth. He also makes $8 million. Podsednik makes a fraction of that. I think the White Sox have a few more moves left to make, because the outfield seems kind of crowded. Podsednik has tons of speed, but last year he couldn't get on base. He is not a complete leadoff hitter yet. If he gets back to what he did as a rookie, this could be big for the Sox. Otherwise, it could be a bust. The Sox had high hopes for Lee. I'm very surprised they made this move. They're still trying for a few pitchers. Look for them to work on the cheap, as they always do. I'm not sure what the Brewers are doing right now. They have a lot of work to do still. They looked better last year in the first half, but they tailed off badly afterwards.

Red Sox sign Renteria today. 4 years for $10 million a season. Looks like they don't miss a beat there. Should be good in that number two slot for them. Red Sox need some starting pitching. Schilling won't be ready on Opening Day, and Pedro is all but gone. Lowe is also a free agent. Arroyo and Wakefield are all they have in place for sure.

Wow. Beltre spent a lot of time in the doghouse in LA until this past year, his monster contract year. Did anybody anywhere see that kind of a year coming from him? Where does Delgado end up? And what will Seattle be like next year? What will they do for a closer? Guardado will not be ready on opening day, most likely. No more Edgar next year. That will be weird, because that's a name I've always associated with that club.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 16 2004, 06:37 PM)
Wow. Beltre spent a lot of time in the doghouse in LA until this past year, his monster contract year. Did anybody anywhere see that kind of a year coming from him? Where does Delgado end up? And what will Seattle be like next year? What will they do for a closer? Guardado will not be ready on opening day, most likely. No more Edgar next year. That will be weird, because that's a name I've always associated with that club.

a new era for Mariners for sure

My Bravos mades some deals today, traded for all star pitcher Tim Hudson, Dan Kolb (closer which allows Smoltzy to go back to the starting rotation) and Jorge Vasquez from KC.

And we some money left over for more O ...

Hudson is a great pickup for the Braves. They have to keep him after this season, though. That's never a guarantee. This is a departure for Billy Beane, because he usually lets contracts expire instead of trading a player before impending free agency.

Archived