Outer body experience?

Indica

Please read, this is so strange.

This is something that happened when I was 12 years old and I would like to share it with everyone and I'm curious if you ever heard of something like this. Before I go on, I want everyone to know this was way before I ever did any type of drug or even drank or anything. Everyone asked if I was on drugs at the time when I tell them about this.

I used to listen to the radio all night as I slept when I was a teen. Not anymore. One night I was listening to the radio and drifting off to sleep when this happened. I always heard that you don't dream until 20-25 minutes of going to sleep, I have no idea if this is true or not though. Anyway, I just dozed off, as I dozed off I saw myself from the ceiling, I saw my room, and it was like I was at the ceiling, staring straight down at, well, it was me exactly how I was laying in my bed.

That's not all, I still heard the radio at the same time, I remember the song I was listening to, It was the beatles "a day in a life".....if anyone knows the song, just imagine the music and words of the song as I go on....or even put the song on and listen to it......Anyway, I knew this was weird, so I tried to wake up, I was telling myself that I better wake up or I might not ever wake up.......Then, I started getting scared, as I got scared I was looking down and noticed that my body was jerking and twitching all over as I was trying to wake myself up. I couldn't wake up though, I was staring down as I was telling myself to "wake up" and I was watching myself do this twitching and It was scaring me worse and worse, I STILL HEARD THE MUSIC!!!!!!! It is so hard to explain, I am getting goose bumps thinking about how I felt that night.

Then, finally, I woke up, I woke up at the end of that song, the end of that song has a real long piano note, I always heard it was the longest note ever recorded, If you know the song you know the piano note I'm talking about. Anyway, I woke up at the end of the song and that kind of freaks me out because it's like that damn song had something to do with it or something. When I woke, my heart was POUNDING, I ran into my parents room and woke my mom up and told her I saw myself and she told me it was a bad dream, nah this was more than a bad dream, I had bad dreams before. Not to mention the words of that song and what it was about, the words "I woke up, got out of bed, I pulled the comb across my head"

When ever I hear this song to this day I get goose bumps and I remember how I felt that night.

To this day, I NEVER listen to the radio as I sleep. People tell me they heard of this happening and it's an outer body experience, just curious if anyone else has heard anything like this.

Wow Indi! That is weird! I have never had an out of body like that, but have been in that sleep zone before that I was concsious and could not wake up - couldnt like move my muscles - almost paralyzed and was scared every time it happened...

What is wild is also that you say there was a piano note at the end of that song and you woke up to it - people who have out of body experiences I hear hear a perfect (middle C is it?)...

Thanks for sharing. trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 11 2004, 12:16 AM)
Wow Indi! That is weird! I have never had an out of body like that, but have been in that sleep zone before that I was concsious and could not wake up - couldnt like move my muscles - almost paralyzed and was scared every time it happened...

What is wild is also that you say there was a piano note at the end of that song and you woke up to it - people who have out of body experiences I hear hear a perfect (middle C is it?)...

Thanks for sharing. trink39.gif

I get that all the time-you are awake, but not? And you can't move your muscles. I always feel disoriented at the time, but calm?

Someone told me that is just when you are going back into your body. I don't know if it's true, but it sure is weird.

Indica, you are not alone mate.

The very same thing has happened to me when I was about 10. My grandmother brought me up, and at this age I used to sleep in the same bedroom as her. I can still remember the 'dream' exactly as you describe it.....what is even more weird is that my Nan (who was religious - a Catholic) said she often watched me astrally travelling in the middle of the night. She was very spiritual, and she used to go to the spiritualists with my Auntie Joyce who now lives in Ontario - Elmira to be precise - which, if anyone has ever been there, is quite a calm, spiritual place in itself.

I have told other people about this, but I've never had a similar story told to me. Until now. smile.gif

wow Indy! that is really crazy! I have never had this before...now I wish I do because it's weird...and that would be cool...except really not. Yea actaully I really don't wish for it...lol thanks for sharing your story! trink36.gif

OH, wow man, when Indica and Dweezil posted... I new exactly what it was. I have had this for most of my life, my dad and sister have as well.

What is Sleep Paralysis or Isolated Sleep Paralysis?

(From "Relationship Between Isolated Sleep Paralysis and Geomagnetic Influences: A case study" -Perceptual and Motor Skills, 80, 1263-1273)

"The isolated sleep paralysis event occurs most often at sleep onset. An individual, even though aware and maintains that he is awake, is atonic, and has great difficulty moving. This atonic state is similar to the atonia experienced during REM sleep. This experience also may produce great anxiety and fear, while the individual struggles to "wake up".

Individuals who experience sleep paralysis often report concurrent hypnagogic hallucinations. A commonly reported hallucination is the feeling of a presence or entity in the room in which the individual sleeps. At times this presence may seem threatening and evil giving rise to the folklore belief of the "night-mare," the "old hag," and the "incubi" ".

Variety of somatosensory, vestibular and other phenomena accompanying isolated sleep paralysis (SP) and lucid dreaming (LD)

(Also from "Relationship Between...Perceptual and Motor Skills, 80, 1263-1273)

"Exosomatic, but affecting the body

Waves, vibrations and earthquake-like tremors (SP).

Acoustic

Crackling, snapping, high-pitched, ringing (hours preceding and/or during SP) and booming noises (SP); great richness of sound quality, specifically in music (LD).

Visual

Luminous blobs, auras, perception of objects and details of wall crevices and bed lining fabric (SP); vibrant and surreal colors (LD).

Sleep Paralysis

Complete or partial atonia.

Somatosensory

Rotation of the body (pivot: the belly area), twisting of the body, rolling into oneself. Also, pressure on different parts of the body, but most commonly the belly area; floating, flying and being squeezed through tunnels (all SP).

Microsomatognosia: Shrinking in size (SP).

Dissociation: Out-of-the-body experiences (SP and LD).

Hypnagogic hallucinations; Nightmare

Presence in the room, benign or maleficent; sense of suffocation; sense of entity sitting on one's chest; sense of entity pulling one's feet (more common than incubus) (SP).

Other

Bolt of lightening exploding at the base of the neck, pain in the midsection (SP)."

Events likely to trigger SP in susceptible individuals ( from my personal log entries and research )

Fatigue, anxiety, intensive meditational practices, radical changes in daily routine ( vacations, moving, job changes, etc. ) and abrupt changes in the ambient geomagnetic field.

Dealing and coping with the SP experience and associated events

Whether Sp is an occasional or frequent sleep experience, overcoming the tremendous and overwhelming fear associated with atonia ( paralysis ) may be a real obstacle to using SP as a 'launching pad'to LD. Some of this fear can be appeased by the knowledge, the conviction, that one always wakes up! Breathing in a calm, relaxed fashion and willing movement of small body parts such as the eyelids and/or toes and fingers usually helps the dreamer to awake. Sometimes an SP experiencer can arrange with his/her sleeping partner that in the event the partner hears muffled cries or senses body movements, he/she can awaken the dreamer, thus jolting him/her from the paralytic state. Since repeated occurrences are the norm within a relatively short, nighttime period, changing sleeping positions ( for example, from laying on one's back to a belly down or sideways posture ) often allows the SP experiencer to return to normal REM sleep, to less conscious REM sleep.

If one is willing to experiment a little with the atonic sate, one can, for example, control the initial fear and impulse to force awakening by focusing attention on the area around the navel. Doing this allows the sleeper to retain some control and consciousness while he/she moves into a LD.

Personal note

Whether one wishes to employ the techniques mentioned above or not, the SP event can be a prelude to controlled LD and a richer dream experince. Personally, I am equally interested and marveled by the subjective experiences gained by these states of consciousness as I am by their pragmatic/scientific potential and value. I have been an SP (and LD) experiencer since my early teens and I must say that in time, one learns to overcome most if not all of the anxiety associated with the paralysis and is able to enter a new dimension of dream experience - richer and more creative than that of the average dreamer. It is a contradiction that a dream paralytic state can open the door to so much freedom. In the words of Erich Fromm, ( during dreaming ): "We are helpless - but we are also free." If you are lucky ( and persistent, courageous and calm ), the creative elements of your dream experiences will guide you through these journeys with insightful and practical advice.

" So the sleep existence, it seems, is only the extreme case of a purely contemplative experience, which can be established by the waking person if he ( she ) focuses on his ( her ) inner experience....In sleep, no longer exposed to the noise of culture, we become awake to what we really feel and think. The genuine self can talk: it is often more intelligent and more decent than the pseudo self which seems to be "we" when we are awake."

Erich Fromm, from The Nature of Dreams

I wish you safe, rich and revealing dream journeys.

http://www.angelfire.com/co/SleepParalysis...oreInfoPar.html

Some other interesting links:

http://www.trionica.com/

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

Thanks trance, that's some tight information there. 1022.gif

Believe me, it's comforting to know that this is something common. I almost wanna say that everyone should testimony this at least one time in their life.

Heres some of the words in the song that was playing.

Woke up, fell out of bed,

Dragged a comb across my head

Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,

And looking up I noticed I was late.

Found my coat and grabbed my hat

Made the bus in seconds flat

Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,

Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

"The isolated sleep paralysis event occurs most often at sleep onset. An individual, even though aware and maintains that he is awake, is atonic, and has great difficulty moving. This atonic state is similar to the atonia experienced during REM sleep. This experience also may produce great anxiety and fear, while the individual struggles to "wake up".

I experienced something like this a number of times in my teens. Then it stopped. Never figured out if it was related to something else.

I was 16 maybe when i firsted remembered that feeling?

I sometimes found myself curlled up in a ball!

I was a afraid? of what? I reallized it was simple ? FRUSTRATION....

RELAX your MIND and look at every thing around you?

2.gif Makes things feel Better!!

Archived