Natural Science

barney_rebel

Discuss.

Just got finished in a long conference call with a bunch of different technical teams. Everytime I heard them talk it sounded as if Natural Science was playing in the background and they were cooking up some super-computer in back room. I pictured them wearing lab coats and nerdy goggles.

"Computerized Clinics...for superior cynics..."

Love all the different parts to this song too - lots of tempo changes. Very catchy baseline at the beginning when the song picks up. Excellent choice in the VT tour too.

All around a cool, nerd anthem.

I love this tune. It's evolved as one of my all time favorites, but I must admit it wasn't always and even today I don't know every niche and detail like I do some of the others. I still have lots of discovery room on this one, which just gets me more psyched to listen to it more.

Anyway, I love how the beginning starts out with the easy oar paddling sound, then at the end is the powerful ocean surf. There is so much that happens in this tune. As Madra quoted in another thread - there's that computerized sound accompanying Geddy's voice during the lines you show above. Very clever. They really put a great deal of effect around Geddy's voice at certain moments throughout the song. Each time it's different, all are awesome.

Musically, this song rocks!! So much power and drive, and the changes in pattern are pieced together really well. This song is a treasure for us air guitarists / air drummers / and steering wheel bangers who jam throughout the house or embarrass ourselves in traffic.

The only thing I'm uneasy with is the way the vocal sometimes seems forced to fit the music during Part III - Permanent Waves. Multiple syllable words as in "Sensitive, open, and strong" get broken up into several counts and it just seems out of place to me. I don't think Neil was very flexible at rewording his lyrics to fit the song. I could be way wrong, it's just what I hear when I listen. Hell, it could be someone else's favorite part laugh.gif . Each of us gets off from different things.

I am totally into the live versions from the last two live CDs - both ROCK. I've been listening to the RIR like crazy lately. I LOVE how they repeat the "Wheel within wheels in a spiral array.." part of Tidal Pools twice. It gives the song such a strong effect, and really builds up into Part II Hyperspace more than on record.

So much more can be said about this song, but not justifyable by me, and it's time for my meeting. I can't wait (and hope) to see some good disecting of the lyrics. Thanks again Barney - you OWN these topics as far as I'm concerned, and I love these threads!!!

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

Natural Science is, for me, one of the defining moments of Rush's history.

I have already commented, on another thread, about the transitional nature of Permanent Waves and I think Natural Science is, maybe, the most transitional song there. On an earlier album, a three movement piece like NS would have had some sort of Fantasy basis for the lyrics. However, Neil roots this one in reality, albeit a stylised reality.

Now, onto the music.

first of all I have got to say that the riff to Hyperspace is awesome. Underpin this with some of Neil's most aggresive drummiong and you're onto some thing. Add to this one of Alex's best guitar breaks and you've got something special. Fortunately the rest of NS lives up to this.

Sheer brilliance.

I've always liked this tune since I first heard it.

I had this dream once where I kept hearing "planet" echoing over and over from the Tide Pools segment of the song.

I particularly like the live versions. I must admit, it wasn't a song that hit me when I first bought PW, but I think I was a little bit disappointed with the album when it came out....I went off to buy it, and although generally liked it, I had just been spoilt by 2112, Hemispheres and FTK, with their epic tracks, so expected something more, needless to say, with the exception of Camera Eye, they never produced any more epics.

I think the whole song comprises a lot of different styles of music. I also think that was the whole point as well: the evolution of fads and styles that seem to last forever, but never really do.

As the Mozart character in Amadeus states "It is the best (song) yet written!"

Everything about NS is great, from the lapping water through the different moods of each individual parts. The concepts of the lyrics. This song, with Jacob's Ladder and Hemispheres are what made me the rabid obsessed Rush person you see before you today.

Nobody writes songs like this.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 10 2004, 03:31 PM)
I like everything about this song and dislike nothing about it. This is what it's all about.

I have to agree with Indica on this one. There is nothing bad about this song. It is just so great. The live version sounds better in my opinion, the Rush In Rio has to be my favorite version.

I can but concur with the previous comments. My first Rush experioence was buying PeW on the basis of hearing TSOR on the radio. At the time, it was like my favourite song of all time maannn!!

After hearing NS and JL, it wasn't even my favourite song on thre album any more. Funny you should post this thread tonight Barney, 'cause the last thing I did earlier before going ouit was listen to the Different Stages version of NS through headphones.

Sheer class!!

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 10 2004, 04:10 PM)
As the Mozart character in Amadeus states "It is the best (song) yet written!"

Everything about NS is great, from the lapping water through the different moods of each individual parts. The concepts of the lyrics. This song, with Jacob's Ladder and Hemispheres are what made me the rabid obsessed Rush person you see before you today.
Nobody writes songs like this.

I love this song, cept the lapping water sometimes sends me to the restroom. biggrin.gif

I love the song. It is one of my personal faves and third on the epics list (behind 2112 and Red Barchetta of course). The riffs and (mystic laugh.gif) rhythms in the song are simply amazing! I prefer lstening to the actual album recording because of the computer sounds that are in the "computerized clinics" section. Is it just me or does the album version seem slower than that of the RiR version (especially during part 1)?

Way back in the 80's I picked up the Permanent Waves album and recognised Spirit of Radio and thought "this might be worth a listen".

As they say - the rest is history!

One morning, (some weeks later) without realising, I arose an hour earlier than usual and found myself at a loose end (no early morning TV in those days). I decided to play Permanent Waves using headphones (my family were still in bed) and I can remember thinking "Here I am at 6.30 a.m. in the morning listening to Natural Science - am I nuts?"

I think Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder sum up a lot of the original RUSH appeal - thought provoking lyrics, changes of tempo and exciting, complex music.

At that time they were probably similar (though infinitely better) to YES and GENESIS but unlike those bands thay have changed, progressed and survived.

In conclusion - Natural Science is a great track, especially the live RIR version.

QUOTE (slacker @ Dec 11 2004, 06:39 AM)
Natural Science, To me its about SPERM SWIMMING TO THAT OPEN SEA LOL.gif But really Is there any one out there that remembers in 1980 the bubble gum albums?..

Oh yea! I used to have a couple. I see 'em on eBay every so often.

NS is one of those songs that has it all. A true showcase of their diversity as a band. Always been one of my favs! yes.gif

AHHHH.......My favorite subject

Most people who know me also know that this is my favorite song of all time by any band. Hence my screenname!!!

I read somewhere that the echo during tide pools was actually recorded with the p.a. speakers pointed toward the mountains and the resulting echo is the natural sound bouncing back to the recorder.

Pure Genius !!!

i will try to find that info and post it here.

TP cool.gif

Here ya go Tide, from the PeW tourbook:

"Frivolities aside, the work continued as we plowed through a mountain of overdubs. Alex and I splashed oars in the lake with shivering hands to record the "Tide Pool" effects, voices and guitar sounds were sent out over the lake to make use of it's natural echo, the tympani was recorded outdoors, guitar amps were strung all over the building to take advantage of as many different sounds as possible. The parade of guitars, synthesizers, vocals, percussion, and experiments went on, and the days wore away."

This is my favorite Rush song as well. I especially like the guitar part right after Geddy sings "They soon forget about the sea....." and the drum fills at the very end. The guitar solo during "Hyperspace" is a highlight as well. AlexFinal.gif

Watching RIR , my highschool daughter asks " Why is there swaying DNA on the Screen?"

My recollection of PeW tour in 1980...maybe someone can confirm this..after they play SOR..Geddy says "We'd like to play something else from our Permanent Waves album, it's a little bit different. This is called Natural Science!"

Wathcing them rehearse this song in the "Boys in Brazil" documentary made this song seem more brilliant from a song writing standpoint, than its larger than life recording / performances. I am not sure why. ???

At the VT tour, Fans in my row were singing this song LOUD..and when it got to "The most endagered species, the honest man. Will still survive anihilation"

It made me smile LARGE and momentarily feel less cynical about humanity.

Every album has what I call the magic of Rush in it. In PeW it is this song. In MP it is Red Barchetta. In FWTK it is Xanadu. In Hemi , its The Trees. In VT its OLV...you fill in the blanks, maybe for you they are different tunes...ther are just some songs, and they are not always the best ones, but they are the ones with the magic in them ...NS is one of them.

Archived