Tai Shan

barney_rebel

Discuss.

You'll hear the usual stuff - the song is "soft", "not your usual Rush song", "doesn't fit Rush's sound..."

The visuals are great - this is one of the only songs you hear Geddy sing and mention "I" - it's as if Neil wrote the song to explain this is what his experiences were when he climbed that mountain and this is how "I" felt. It is such an uplifting tune - I read how he learned how to play those drums just for this. Obviously there was a lot of sentimental value in that journey for him to write it.

I hold a lot of sentimental value in Tai Shan too - both of my parents were born in that area and the language they speak is the Taishan form of Cantonese. If I can get my parents to like Rush, I'll just let them hear this one tune... and next thing you know they'll be rocking to 2112...umm right.

Initially, I thought the song was mundane with regards to the rest of the album, but it grew on me over time.

I'm not sure what else I could say about the tune.

The song is a transporter. If ever you want to "feel" like your sitting at the top of that mountain.... just close your eyes and let Neil's words and Geddy's conviction take you there. Quite frankly this song is so well written it could save most of us a fortune in airfare and hotels. biggrin.gif

And yes - NOT a standard Rush tune by any means but who cares? The emotion and power put me 50 feet above the ground. Honestly, I don't listen to it very often but it is still an amazing song and I for one am glad they recorded it. With the HYF thread so interesting to me this week, I've actually been listening to Tai Shan a lot. Good timing, Barney!! Thanks, bro!

Edited to fix lousy typing.

I must say I'm not keen on it. I think the album starts getting a bit tinny towards the end. I think they would have been better going with just the first 8 tracks and leaving off the last two.

Just my preference.

For some reason Tai Shan just stood out for me the first time I heard HYF. There is a fragility and beauty about the song that I think is remarkable. Lyrically, it carries the weight of history behind and seems to make me aware that, even if most of this life is transient and fleeting, there are things of permanence.

And as for those of you who say that its not a typical Rush song, what is a typical Rush song?

One of the things that I've always liked about them is that they never fall into easily defined categories. There is no such thing as a typical Rush song unless the word unique comes into play.

I didn't like Tai Shan on its release as, frankly, I was a nipper and liked louder stuff.

I'm now a conveert.

What first got me into the song (apart from just appreciating its mood) was the great guitar work that comes in during the second verse and the fade out

It also has some excellent unusual drum sounds, especially the blocks and the on beat crash(?) cymbal.

It does a very typical Rush thing of building and getting more complex over the course of the song (a great example of this being High water which follows) but in a very subtle way.

Disco

PS Slaine, agree with all you say about the produciton on Signals (though after a couple of songs it stops sounding flat to me and I just accept it for what it is) but, raising the spod bar just a few notches higher, check out the hi-hat sound, it's picking up every nuance and delicacy, have a listen to the beginning of Countdown.

When I first heard this song the first thing I thought was, "Damn this has an Eastern feel" then I heard the words China and it all came together. This is the song that turned my X-wife into a Rush fan. She heard it and said "Next time they come around, get me a ticket also, I think I like them now" wacko.gif wacko.gif

I really like this song though, not one of my top 20 Rush songs or anything but it's somewhere in the middle of the pack for me.

cool.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Dec 9 2004, 09:33 PM)
The musical imagery created in this song always amazed me.  I always feel I'm there when I hear it!  Awesome song!

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/inspirations/MtTaiShan.jpg

I was actually disappointed when I saw these pictures.

The song is written and played so well that it created a vision for me that leaves the reality wanting.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 9 2004, 07:35 AM)
I love this song, always have. Another atmospheric, transporting song.

Thank you, for putting my thoughts into words...

The "flute" sound & the drums. It just really paints a picture for me.

I absolutely love this song. It is one of my favourties off Hold Your Fire. At the end of thisd song, also heard in the middle (but not as distinct), Alex does this incredible little riff. It starts at 46 seconds left in the song and ends at with about 22 seconds left in the song. I find it incredible. I get chills when I hear it.

By the way...does anybody know what Aimee Mann is saying in the background near the end?

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 10 2004, 11:50 AM)
Perhaps this one would help more. I love it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/Misc/taishan.jpg

That's gorgeous, Slaine...thank you. smile.gif

Ok - so does Aimee Mann sing in more than just Time Stand Still? I keep hearing yes and no... Someone want to clarify this one?

According to the Rush:Tribute book (merely players), she is called in to do back up vocals for 3 songs...Time Stand Still, Open Secrets, and Tai Shan. I can only hear her on Time Stand Still, and Tai Shan...Can't hear her on Open Secrets. But on Tai Shan, she sings low and in the background, so you can't make out what she is saying. So then! Does anybody know what she sings on Tai Shan? LOL.gif

Archived