Good News First

Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 3 2007, 11:36 PM)
I am sorry. Very sorry. I have been listening to Rush for over 30 years and have seen them 16 times in concert and will go again this tour if I can get a ticket. I don't think there are any "bad" Rush songs. Snakes & Arrows is growing on me day by day
(The album that is, not the snakes, arrows or anything else! rofl3.gif ) and I will probably end up liking it more than I do now.

But if there is such a thing as a bad Rush song, it has to be Good News First!

What were they thinking????? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Not even close. I suggest you re-listen to some of the back catalog. tongue.gif

Hell, this is in my top half of S&A. biggrin.gif

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say that I can't think of the worst Rush song ever. maybe Rivendell or something from the first album but Rush as always put out great music.

Good News First is a great song. It's one of the few songs on S&A that has any sense of optimism (even if skewed.) Musically I find it quite catchy and enjoyable.

Worst Rush Songs IMO:

I Think I'm Going Bald

Rivendell

Tai Shan

High Water

Superconducter

Neurotica

Carve Away The Stone

I like Good News First, but I also think it's the weakest track on the album. It's definitely NOT the worst Rush song ever. Emotion Detector, Second Nature, High Water, The Speed of Love, and Dog Years. THOSE are some of the worst Rush songs ever.

Definitely not the worst song. Quirky yes... bad no.

Its amazing how we all love the band, yet one fan's "masterpiece" is anothers "worst ever". To each his own 2.gif

I personally consider High Water one of their finest - can't explain why. Maybe its my fascination with evolution or just the guitar work and percussion.

I'd go with Dog Years or Virtuosity for "bottom of the list".

I like that song but my main question is "Who he's talking to ?". Maybe his wife ?

He's so disappointed with the current state of affairs that he want some good news to refresh his spirit, news that we don't hear in a long long time.

I like the song.

-- Anderson

I am sorry. Very sorry. I have been listening to Rush for over 30 years and have seen them 16 times in concert and will go again this tour if I can get a ticket. I don't think there are any "bad" Rush songs. Snakes & Arrows is growing on me day by day
(The album that is, not the snakes, arrows or anything else! rofl3.gif ) and I will probably end up liking it more than I do now.

Agree. Throw Bravest Face and Armor and Sword in there as 3 of their worst ever.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 3 2007, 10:36 PM)

WORST EVER? THAT'S A LITTLE HARSH DON'T YOU THINK.

GNF IS A GREAT SONG!

Good News First is the first song I liked in the album after Far Cry. It's excellent. 1022.gif

And I don't like the Speed of Love, but I love Dog Years, so go figure.

Para Los Gustos Los Colores... cool.gif

Or in English, Whatever Rocks Your Boat cool.gif

Just keep 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I don't think it's the worst Rush song ever but I will admit I really don't like the song at all.

The chorus bugs me a lot, idk, maybe it's just the lyrics. Rush hasn't been ones to write songs about love or relationships, and I like it that way! Speed of Love is another that bugs me for that same reason.

And whoever said Red Lenses was the worst Rush song ever...I agree!!! Though to be nice, I would say it's my least favorite song tongue.gif

I pretty much agree. Although it's not a bad song it is definitely the weakest. Too plain and simple.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ May 4 2007, 09:44 AM)
I don't think it's the worst Rush song ever but I will admit I really don't like the song at all.

The chorus bugs me a lot, idk, maybe it's just the lyrics. Rush hasn't been ones to write songs about love or relationships, and I like it that way! Speed of Love is another that bugs me for that same reason.

And whoever said Red Lenses was the worst Rush song ever...I agree!!! Though to be nice, I would say it's my least favorite song tongue.gif

I agree with the wording change, my least favorite song. thanks for the catch.

I think it's fantastic and while I do feel it is indeed one of the weaker tracks on S&A, I wouldn't go anywhere as far as saying it's the worst thing they've ever recorded.

Speed Of Love and Dog Years are complete trash to me. I dont like GNF either, but I like it more than those other songs.

Rush always has some filler tracks on their album that just arent as good as the rest, and this is one of them to me.

Speed of Love, Anagram, Hand Over Fist, Face Up, The Big Wheel, Red Tide, Superconductor, Neurotica, You Bet Your Life, Second Nature...all of these piles of dung are infinitely worse than anything off of S & A, let alone Good News First. Hell, anything off of Presto and Roll The Bones are infinitely worse than Good News First...man I hate those albums...oh yeah, most of T4E is worse than Good News First also.

I rather like Red Lenses though, I find it musically pretty cool.

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 4 2007, 11:24 AM)
It's certainly bad, but nowhere near as awful as The Larger Bowl....

Well, if there's one thing I've noticed, it's how diverse the opinions of every Rush fan are!!

For me, The Larger Bowl is my favourite track on S&A!

Thinking of the 'worst' Rush song for me is tough, since I like every song to some degree. It would probably come off the debut album though.

Archived