19 - Best Song From Snakes & Arrows

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

949 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Far Cry
    • Armor and Sword
    • Workin' Them Angels
    • Larger Bowl
    • Spindrift
    • Main Monkey Business
    • Way the Wind Blows
    • Hope
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Good News First
    • Malignant Narcissism
    • We Hold On

Hate to sound like a downer, but this is the first Rush album that I just can't get into. In fact, I can't even get past the first two minutes of most of the songs because they just......suck. angry.gif

'Far Cry' 'Spindrift' and 'Malignant' are the only songs were they sound like themselves, and even at that they still sound like songs they've already done before.

The rest....Arrrrrrrghhhh, I can't get past the tedious negative lyrics, the plodding tempos, no dynamics, the lack of melodys and how Geddy sounds like he's just making it up as he goes along. Plus, like Vapor Trails, its about two songs too long. confused13.gif

I've noticed that most Rush fans either really really love this album or really really don't, like me

Vapor Trails had some good exciting songs ruined by horrible production.

S&As has good production for mostly boring filler songs.

Maybe the next album will get it right!

QUOTE (jnoble @ Feb 18 2008, 09:01 PM)
Hate to sound like a downer, but this is the first Rush album that I just can't get into. In fact, I can't even get past the first two minutes of most of the songs because they just......suck. angry.gif
'Far Cry' 'Spindrift' and 'Malignant' are the only songs were they sound like themselves, and even at that they still sound like songs they've already done before.
The rest....Arrrrrrrghhhh, I can't get past the tedious negative lyrics, the plodding tempos, no dynamics, the lack of melodys and how Geddy sounds like he's just making it up as he goes along. Plus, like Vapor Trails, its about two songs too long. confused13.gif

I've noticed that most Rush fans either really really love this album or really really don't, like me

Vapor Trails had some good exciting songs ruined by horrible production.

S&As has good production for mostly boring filler songs.

Maybe the next album will get it right!

It's usually the case that no matter Rush will do, it will never be right for folks like you. I respect your opinion, but I highly doubt you will take to another Rush album again since Rush is creating music that is diverse and progressive.

"Far Cry."

I'm having trouble gettting into this album, I admit, but IMO the opener is one of their best songs ever. I also really dig the lyrics to "Faithless." They're a bit heavy-handed, but I think they say things that need to be said. Also, I think it's great that on the whole Rush have made sort of an "angry" album. There's a lot worth getting angry about these days!

For the time being I'm shooting for The Larger Bowl (a few close calls). I still haven't tired of it; nagging chorus, killer vox melody, solo TDF and a great sentiment. Can hear it on the radio now - joke.

Magic moment - Ged's opening bass line in solo yes.gif

This one's a toughie because all of he song's are great but no one truly shines above the others.

That being said, I voted Far Cry, with The Larger Bowl nipping at it's heels.

Reassessment time. Interesting to note upon first few listens, Armour and Sword, Far Cry and Spindrift jostled for first place. Then I went off them a bit. BUT summing up S&A once and for all (after giving it a long break)I'm left with Larger Bowl, Armour and Sword and Far Cry that remain my ultimate faves.

The thing I like most is about S&A is that it's a cohesive album. I listen to it on repeat and don't feel like skipping any of the tracks. The overall feel fits where my head has been at for the last couple of years. If I have to pick one standout, it's Faithless, but Mal Nar is close.

I have yet to buy this one, but from what I've heard and read, it may be one of their very best yet. "Main Monkey Business" was incredible in concert.

It's kind of surprising that the CD is this good because it seems like it has received very little publicity(and I've never heard a song on the radio from this CD).