Your next Concerts?

Phoenix

^Why does it really matter if it sells out or not?

If it doesn't sell out I can walk up the day of the show and get a ticket or maybe get one discounted. If it sells out (which I doubt it will) I just won't bother. In this case the only guy I'd want to see if Carl Palmer, but I've seen his about a dozen times of the last 10 years or so so I don't mind missing him in a bigger venue.

As much as like like Yes and Asia (and I do like them, both bands at this point are past their sell by dates for me. I really should have made the effort to see Asia before Wetton died. and I really should have seen Yes on the Masterworks tour in 2004.. If this lineup happened even 10 years ago, I'd have jumped at tickets when they went on sale. Now? Not so much.

So Dream Theater was simply mind blowing a couple of weeks ago in Tampa. Loved every single minute of it.

This Saturday we are seeing Night Ranger and Dennis DeYoung. 5th row. Taking my son. He knows some Night Ranger Material and a few Styx songs but this show will rock his socks off....looking forward to it big time.

Edited by Todem

Avett Brothers next Tuesday. A friend of mine has an extra ticket and asked if I wanted to go. I listened to a few of their songs and they sound really good, I'm excited!

So Dream Theater was simply mind blowing a couple of weeks ago in Tampa. Loved every single minute of it.

This Saturday we are seeing Night Ranger and Dennis DeYoung. 5th row. Taking my son. He knows some Night Ranger Material and a few Styx songs but this show will rock his socks off....looking forward to it big time.

:ebert:

If it doesn't sell out I can walk up the day of the show and get a ticket or maybe get one discounted. If it sells out (which I doubt it will) I just won't bother. In this case the only guy I'd want to see if Carl Palmer, but I've seen his about a dozen times of the last 10 years or so so I don't mind missing him in a bigger venue.

As much as like like Yes and Asia (and I do like them, both bands at this point are past their sell by dates for me. I really should have made the effort to see Asia before Wetton died. and I really should have seen Yes on the Masterworks tour in 2004.. If this lineup happened even 10 years ago, I'd have jumped at tickets when they went on sale. Now? Not so much.

Not sure how old you are but once upon a time Yes used to sell out concerts(arena size no less). Sometime in the mid to late 90's their popularity started to decline signifcantly for a number of reasons even though they maintained much of their loyal fanbase. Even in the 80's when I first saw them they could fill up arenas. I agree not anymore but a long time ago they did. Last time I saw them(2015) their was maybe 1500 people there.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 1

Kansas tix go on sale tomorrow for Beacon Theatre for 14 Dec gig.

They are playing both Leftoverture and Point of Know Return in their entirety.

That sounds cool.

Not sure how old you are but once upon a time Yes used to sell out concerts(arena size no less). Sometime in the mid to late 90's their popularity started to decline signifcantly for a number of reasons even though they maintained much of their loyal fanbase. Even in the 80's when I first saw them they could fill up arenas. I agree not anymore but a long time ago they did. Last time I saw them(2015) their was maybe 1500 people there.

I understand that. I've seen them a few times myself. Last time I think was for Union.

Except for the small loyal fan base these days, nobody really cares so that's why I figured I could get a ticket at the time of the show if I felt like it. Not something I need to decide on right away like King Crimson.

I understand that. I've seen them a few times myself. Last time I think was for Union.

Except for the small loyal fan base these days, nobody really cares so that's why I figured I could get a ticket at the time of the show if I felt like it. Not something I need to decide on right away like King Crimson.

Well, it's not THAT small. I bet there will be at least 5,000 for the Royal Affair tour. Not all who show up are big Yes fans but a lot of them are.

Does King Crimson have more fans than Yes these days? Maybe. I'm not sure about that. That would be difficult to determine. There's a lot more Yes fans on the facebook Yes page than KC but the KC is growing where as the Yes is shrinking. LOL. I think part of that is once people realize Jon Anderson is no longer in the band they stop caring and I think that's what happened. I think Yes has more classic rock fans and KC has more hipster/indie fans. Aside from that they probably have roughly the same number of prog fans. However, aside from that there's no getting around the fact that King Crimson has one gold album and that's it while Yes have about ten plus five platinum and two multiplatinum albums.

Edited by New_World_Man

Well, it's not THAT small. I bet there will be at least 5,000 for the Royal Affair tour. Not all who show up are big Yes fans but a lot of them are.

Does King Crimson have more fans than Yes these days? Maybe. I'm not sure about that. That would be difficult to determine. There's a lot more Yes fans on the facebook Yes page than KC but the KC is growing where as the Yes is shrinking. LOL. I think part of that is once people realize Jon Anderson is no longer in the band they stop caring and I think that's what happened. I think Yes has more classic rock fans and KC has more hipster/indie fans. Aside from that they probably have roughly the same number of prog fans. However, aside from that there's no getting around the fact that King Crimson has one gold album and that's it while Yes have about ten plus five platinum and two multiplatinum albums.

My point was that I can can a ticket the day of the show if I want one. King Crimson isn't going to play a huge hall.

Anderson was still in the band when I bailed (on new studio and live stuff.) It wasn't going to get any better for me after The Masterworks Tour. Never really thought about who might have the bigger fan base.I just like who I like. I like both bands a lot, but I have a lot more fun at a King Crimson concert than I would at a Yes concert over the last 15 years.

• Like 1

[My point was that I can can a ticket the day of the show if I want one. King Crimson isn't going to play a huge hall.

Anderson was still in the band when I bailed (on new studio and live stuff.) It wasn't going to get any better for me after The Masterworks Tour. Never really thought about who might have the bigger fan base.I just like who I like. I like both bands a lot, but I have a lot more fun at a King Crimson concert than I would at a Yes concert over the last 15 years. ]

Gotcha.

I'm sort of the opposite though. King Crimson kind of bored me last time I saw them. To be fair that was over 15 years ago(2001 in fact). I hear they play a lot of classic material now and not just Frippy soundscapes or whatever it was that I found it hard to get into when I saw them. Before that I saw them in 1995(yes I'm old. Lol). That was a little better. I heard they were boring in the eighties too. I don't mean to make it sound like I think KC are boring just that they had that reputation live(at least for a while). Apparently that is no longer the case. I might try to catch them later this year. Not sure yet. We'll see.

Edited by New_World_Man

[My point was that I can can a ticket the day of the show if I want one. King Crimson isn't going to play a huge hall.

Anderson was still in the band when I bailed (on new studio and live stuff.) It wasn't going to get any better for me after The Masterworks Tour. Never really thought about who might have the bigger fan base.I just like who I like. I like both bands a lot, but I have a lot more fun at a King Crimson concert than I would at a Yes concert over the last 15 years. ]

Gotcha.

I'm sort of the opposite though. King Crimson kind of bored me last time I saw them. To be fair that was over 15 years ago(2001 in fact). I hear they play a lot of classic material now and not just Frippy soundscapes or whatever it was that I found it hard to get into when I saw them. Before that I saw them in 1995(yes I'm old. Lol). That was a little better. I heard they were boring in the eighties too. I don't mean to make it sound like I think KC are boring just that they had that reputation live(at least for a while). Apparently that is no longer the case. I might try to catch them later this year. Not sure yet. We'll see.

I'd never use King Crimson and boring in the same sentence but your mileage may vary. If you didn't like them when you saw them it's not likely you'd enjoy them now.

Gotcha.

I'd never use King Crimson and boring in the same sentence but your mileage may vary. If you didn't like them when you saw them it's not likely you'd enjoy them now.

Maybe you didn't see the tour I did. Again, the band themselves aren't boring but they bored me that one time for some reason. Same thing when I saw Fripp solo doing his soundscapey thing when he opened for Porcupine Tree. Actually that was even worse. But for the second time I saw KC John Paul Jones was the opening act and as far as I'm concerned he and his band blew KC off the stage. This is coming from someone who is a KC fan. But hey it happens. I saw Yes with Styx opening one year and Styx blew Yes off the stage. I'm a much bigger Yes fan than a Styx fan although I do like Styx.

As for me not liking them now I disagree. It's a different band with a different lineup with a very different set list. I know this because I know a guy who has seen them in recent years and he clued me in.

Edited by New_World_Man

On a whim, some friends and I took in the Van Hagar minus the Van Halens and Night Ranger. Both bands sounded good. Sammy brought Gary Cherone on stage during Rock and Roll. He REALLY sounds great.

A few less songs off the new album and a few more Van Hagar and solo tunes would have been preferable. But despite the crappy weather, it was a great time.

• Like 1

Gotcha.

Maybe you didn't see the tour I did. Again, the band themselves aren't boring but they bored me that one time for some reason. Same thing when I saw Fripp solo doing his soundscapey thing when he opened for Porcupine Tree. Actually that was even worse. But for the second time I saw KC John Paul Jones was the opening act and as far as I'm concerned he and his band blew KC off the stage. This is coming from someone who is a KC fan. But hey it happens. I saw Yes with Styx opening one year and Styx blew Yes off the stage. I'm a much bigger Yes fan than a Styx fan although I do like Styx.

As for me not liking them now I disagree. It's a different band with a different lineup with a very different set list. I know this because I know a guy who has seen them in recent years and he clued me in.

I'll admit that there was some initial disappointment coming down from seeing the double trio live in in 2000 or 2001. (I'd have to check my ticket stub) but one of the things I've learned about King Crimson over the years (as with Rush too to a lesser extent,) is that there are no expectations. For me King Crimson is a band where the set doesn't really matter to me. It may be a different band with a different lineup and a different set, but it always seems to sound like King Crimson, which isn't the easiest thing to do with a band like that.

Some bands make good to great music consistently. Some get off the track sometimes. I go more by whether I like it or not as opposed to who is making the music. I am loyal to certain bands to an extent but even that loyalty has limitations and it doesn't mean I feel obligated to like something just because band x did it. Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 1

Some bands make good to great music consistently. Some get off the track sometimes. I go more by whether I like it or not as opposed to who is making the music. I am loyal to certain bands to an extent but even that loyalty has limitations and it doesn't mean I feel obligated to like something just because band x did it.

Know exactly what you mean.

For me, Crimson is one of those bands that can pretty much do no wrong and has earned my trust.

I gave up on Queensryche after DeGarmo left. Still bought about three or four albums after that and some live ones and some songs were good. (American Soldier is likely the best of of the post DeGarmo work for me. I think that was the last album I bought)

Shame too I guess. Queensryche was one of my favorite bands but losing Degarmo seemed like a crushing blow. Still listen to Promised Land and LiveCrime quite a bit even today, I'm not sure I can think of a band that I loved that went farther off the rails than they did. Maybe there was a lot of band dysfunction that was there behind the scenes that killed off an amazing thing. Who knows? I became totally disinterested even before Tate left the band. Last saw Queensryche in 2003 and the only reason I did was because they opened for Dream Theater. Don't even know what Tate or Queensyche are even up to and not the least bit motivated to click a link to find out even though I do see threads in my travels.

Just got a ticket for Fish next March. He's doing Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors in full. Can't wait!

You lucky bastard! I hope a live album/DVD comes out of this.

I'm convinced I'll never see him perform music ever again unless he does another hugely unlikely US Tour.