Will Rush record/tour again?

BULLSEYE FOREVER

Eh, Im new here, so my first post might as well be right into the fire...

Counterparts is, by far, the weakest of any Rush album (including the debut)....or for me at least....

I dunno, I can't connect with any of the songs off here, and it's a struggle to listen to...

That said, both Roll the Bones and Test for Echo are 2 of my favorite albums, so it's not like i don't listen to other Rush from around then...it's just that CP never really did it for me.

But hey, who asked me....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a huge fan of the 90s stuff either. As a 30 year fan, I, of course, love the 70s and 80s stuff.

counterparts and RTB are rarely taken off the shelf. T4e even more rarely taken off the shelf. But there are songs from each that I do like a lot.

BUT ... VT was a masterpiece IMHO. Musically and especially lyrically. Neil really opened his heart and gave us all look into his healing.

I think it comes down to what you prefer.

I'm not crazy about the Power Windows-HYF-Presto period. I certainly don't hate those albums, but I play them the least of any Rush CDs. RTB was much better, but the sound was still thin and tinny like the previous three albums. Counterparts, for me, saw the return of a heavy-sounding Rush. And they've only gotten heavier. I like T4E, and love VT.

I'm guessing Slim misses the tricky, epic, progressive style they had pre-Signals. That's my favorite period as well, but I really like their new stuff, too.

Since we're all talking about the albums we're not really into, I might as well have a go. I'm not that crazy about Presto. I like The Pass, Show dont Tell, and Available Light but i'm finding it difficult to get into the other ones. I'm trying though. I listen to the album all the time just trying to like it because my favorite band wrote it.

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Dec 18 2004, 09:03 PM)
Since we're all talking about the albums we're not really into, I might as well have a go. I'm not that crazy about Presto. I like The Pass, Show dont Tell, and Available Light but i'm finding it difficult to get into the other ones. I'm trying though. I listen to the album all the time just trying to like it because my favorite band wrote it.

Presto is my least favorite 80s album. But, I have grown to like it a lot more in the last few years after revisiting it.

It is Obvious they will record and Tour again http://www.therushforum.net/html/emoticons/yes.gif http://www.therushforum.net/html/emoticons/trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 18 2004, 08:30 PM)
I'm guessing Slim misses the tricky, epic, progressive style they had pre-Signals..

No, not really .. actually I like Power Windows and HYF almost as much as 2112 or Permanent Waves, for example. I think the time for prog rock epics has long passed, and I'm glad they moved on from that.

I can understand Slim's ideas for not liking the 90's era of Rush's music. Up until about HYF, with the exception of a couple under par works on Caress of Steel and Fly By Night, there really wasnt a single Rush song that I would have to hit the fast forward button on the cd player to listen to. Then Presto is released and once again I find myself doing this (War Paint, Anagram). Roll the Bones had a few slower songs that lacked the punch their earlier songs contained, it just didnt feel like it had the same emotional content to it. Test For Echo to me seems like a rut for them, despite some of the stronger tracks on the album, there are definatly a few sleepers and argueably their worst instrumental (not that its bad http://www.therushforum.net/html/emoticons/tongue.gif)

But Counterparts to me is just amazing, as is Vapor Trails. I really feel the emotion is pouring out of them when they are playing, every bit as much as it did from thier earlier records. Songs like Animate, Leave That Thing Alone, Cut To The Chase, Between Sun And Moon are extremely strong tracks in my mind. As for VT, it is a very dark depressing themed album, and I was really drawn into that aspect of it. It's thier darkest album since P/G in my opinion.

I have to say that there is not particular period of Rush I prefer, I find merit in all the styles they encompass. As for the releases I play least, they have got to be the debut, Caress of Steel, Signals, Power Windows and Vapor Trails and I can find stuff to like with each of them.

Rush I find troubling because it sounds very derivative in places. Then again, the arrival of Neil made them a different band but I think its fair to say that I've rarely heard them play with such youthful exuberance.

Caress of Steel, for me, is their most dated album. The sound is ill defined and it sounds (no pun intended) rushed. However, with the exception of 'I Think I'm Going Bald' I love the songs - the two that I've heard on live recording take on a whole new life of their own and gain a great deal of strength.

I have similar feelings about Signals ansd Vapor Trails - I find the production on both difficult to get past for different reasons. On Signals the guitar is so muted as to be inaudible in places while Vapor Trails is so up front that the nuances are lost in an aural fury. However, once again, the songs on these albums attain a dynamic quality when performed live to lift them from the morass.

Power Windows I've gone into detail on another thread. I blow hot and cold with it so I tend to wait until I'm really in the mood before I give it a listen. Once again, though, I think the live versions are amazing and show the strength of the songwriting.

To get back to Slim's suggestion that Rush should call it a day, I think he's confusing his disenchantment with what they are doing with the merits of the material - a common problem when discussing music which, by the nature of the medium is an overwhelmingly subjective matter.

If the matter is considered objectively, there are three criteria that, if met, mean the band should continue.

1) Do they still enjoy what they're doing and are not simply going through the motions?

2) Are they still attempting to push themselves forward and not reguritating past glories?

3) Do the fnas still want to hear new material and eagerly wait for the next tour?

If the answer to any of these questions is no then they should quit and, I think, they would do.

However, as long as the answers are yes they should continue.

If I should fall out of love with the bands music, I wouldn't expect them to call it a day just because I don't particularly like them anymore - I haven't done so with Genesis (after Steve Hacket left) or Queensryche.

I love 80's and 90's Rush, but i am geting into the 70's Rush as well http://www.therushforum.net/html/emoticons/yes.gif http://www.therushforum.net/html/emoticons/trink39.gif

Well VT doesn't do it for me personally.

I find there is a lack of melody on much of it, which is something I miss. You can here them moving towards this over the previous two albums, but mix that in with the horrible production and this is the only Rush album I can't listen to easily from start to finish. I keep giving in a go, but it's not happened yet.

BTW, I love the 80's period the best, although not exclusively.

QUOTE (rinty @ Dec 21 2004, 12:06 PM)

I find there is a lack of melody on much of it, which is something I miss. You can here them moving towards this over the previous two albums, but mix that in with the horrible production and this is the only Rush album I can't listen to easily from start to finish. I keep giving in a go, but it's not happened yet.

There seems to be a common theme among many in the Rush community. Those who prefer the '80s sound have a hard time getting into VT and those that have a hard time getting into the (late) '80s material love VT.

I know this is a generalization and that there certainly are exceptions, but by and large I think it holds true.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 21 2004, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (rinty @ Dec 21 2004, 12:06 PM)

There seems to be a common theme among many in the Rush community. Those who prefer the '80s sound have a hard time getting into VT and those that have a hard time getting into the (late) '80s material love VT.

I know this is a generalization and that there certainly are exceptions, but by and large I think it holds true.

I concur 2.gif

I realise that split is common, but the only albums I don't listen to very often are Rush, FBN,CoS, Signals and VT. Of all the others, there aren't more than a couple that I don't like every track on.

I didn't like Counterparts and TFE when they first came out. I do now, so VT has a chance with me yet - just got to give it 5 or 6 years and not listen to it at all biggrin.gif

Archived