• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 earthbound2112

earthbound2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:47 PM

If you dont like 2.gif  why are you even on here?
Ok I agree T4E was not the best but Counterparts was great as was Vapor Trails
You sound all the other's who wrote them off after Presto only to look foolish when Roll the bones went to #2  in America a year or so later.  doh.gif
Never write this band off they have been here for 30 years for a reason.

Sponsored Post

#42 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (earthbound2112 @ Dec 18 2004, 04:47 PM)
If you dont like 2.gif  why are you even on here?
You sound all the other's who wrote them off after Presto only to look foolish when Roll the bones went to #2  in America a year or so later.  doh.gif

yes.gif Well said

#43 Slim

Slim

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:48 PM

I'm afraid I just don't agree with you at all.

You sound all the other's who wrote them off after Presto only to look foolish when Roll the bones went to #2  in America a year or so later.  doh.gif

Well - all kinds of music which I don't consider to have a great deal of merit does well commercially in America, including RTB apparently - and anyway - even I bought a copy of RTB, although I've never liked it at all.  Do you really reassess your musical appreciation based on the charts?  Do you honestly feel foolish if an artist you don't like sells boatloads of CDs?  I certainly don't.

I've followed them for 28 of those years myself.  Like many Rush fans, I consider that they've been in a creative decline for at least 15 years.  Granted, many disagree and that's their prerogative, but I do feel entirely justified in writing them off as a creative force personally.  It's a long enough time.

And by the way, I DO like Rush, a great deal - just not recent Rush, particularly.

Edited by Slim, 18 December 2004 - 07:18 PM.

#44 Slim

Slim

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 18 2004, 03:29 PM)
Wow, Slim!!! What music DO you like from the 90's & 00's?

Wow? biggrin.gif

Off the top of my  head:  Radiohead, Stone Roses,  PJ Harvey, Suede, Amy Winehouse, Muse, U2, Public Enemy, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Air

#45 D-13

D-13

You can put it in the win column!

• Members *
  • 9349 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:01 PM

They better tour!! I'm stoked for a Road Trip! 1022.gif  2.gif

edit* because I don't talk so good

Edited by D-13, 18 December 2004 - 11:00 PM.

#46 Rolinda Bonz

Rolinda Bonz

Land Obi Zorn

• Members *
  • 10868 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Slim @ Dec 18 2004, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 18 2004, 03:29 PM)
Wow, Slim!!! What music DO you like from the 90's & 00's?

Wow? biggrin.gif

Off the top of my  head:  Radiohead, Stone Roses,  PJ Harvey, Suede, Amy Winehouse, Muse, U2, Public Enemy, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Air

Far out.  cool10.gif

I guess I was just a little surprised to read that someone here on TRF didn't like recent Rush.  I find it odd that anyone would spend precious time logging on to celebrate and discuss those whom he considered to be Has Been's.  I mean, life's so short.

Anyway, welcome to the board.  smile.gif  

What's your favorite Rush song/album?

#47 earthbound2112

earthbound2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:46 PM

You missed the point entirely.  oops.gif     AGAIN

#48 earthbound2112

earthbound2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:47 PM

That was for slim

#49 Slim

Slim

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (earthbound2112 @ Dec 18 2004, 07:47 PM)
That was for slim

Oh really?  In that case, what was the point, since it wasn't apparent from your contribution?

#50 Slim

Slim

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 18 2004, 07:17 PM)
I guess I was just a little surprised to read that someone here on TRF didn't like recent Rush.  I find it odd that anyone would spend precious time logging on to celebrate and discuss those whom he considered to be Has Been's.  I mean, life's so short.

Anyway, welcome to the board.  smile.gif 

What's your favorite Rush song/album?

Thanks!

Rush has been an important part of my life since I was 16; I've somehow reached the age of 44 now.   The older, important material is more interesting for its merits, but the newer material is often interesting as a discussion point for its abject lack of merit - from my perspective.

All of the Rush material is interesting as a discussion point, then, and that's why I contribute to fora such as this.

My absolute favourite Rush album is Hemispheres; my absolute favourite Rush track is Free Will, though La Villa Strangiato comes close.

Edited by Slim, 19 December 2004 - 07:29 AM.

#51 New World Kid

New World Kid

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5616 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:13 PM

Eh, Im new here, so my first post might as well be right into the fire...

Counterparts is, by far, the weakest of any Rush album (including the debut)....or for me at least....

I dunno, I can't connect with any of the songs off here, and it's a struggle to listen to...

That said, both Roll the Bones and Test for Echo are 2 of my favorite albums, so it's not like i don't listen to other Rush from around then...it's just that CP never really did it for me.

But hey, who asked me....

#52 ES-335

ES-335

The Peaceable Kingdummy

• Members *
  • 2789 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:17 PM

I am not a huge fan of the 90s stuff either. As a 30 year fan, I, of course, love the 70s and 80s stuff.

counterparts and  RTB are rarely taken off the shelf. T4e even more rarely taken off the shelf.  But there are songs from each that I do like a lot.

BUT ... VT was a masterpiece IMHO. Musically and especially lyrically.  Neil really opened his heart and gave us all look into his healing.

I think it comes down to what you prefer.  

#53 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34221 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:30 PM

I'm not crazy about the Power Windows-HYF-Presto period. I certainly don't hate those albums, but I play them the least of any Rush CDs. RTB was much better, but the sound was still thin and tinny like the previous three albums. Counterparts, for me, saw the return of a heavy-sounding Rush. And they've only gotten heavier. I like T4E, and love VT.

I'm guessing Slim misses the tricky, epic, progressive style they had pre-Signals. That's my favorite period as well, but I really like their new stuff, too.

#54 earthbound2112

earthbound2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:44 PM

My point is at the top of page 5.

#55 RushGuru

RushGuru

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1308 posts
  • Interests:Rush (duh), guitar, drums, going to concerts, Playing in my band, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Hockey, Football...

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:03 PM

Since we're all talking about the albums we're not really into, I might as well have a go. I'm not that crazy about Presto. I like The Pass, Show dont Tell, and Available Light but i'm finding it difficult to get into the other ones. I'm trying though. I listen to the album all the time just trying to like it because my favorite band wrote it.

#56 ES-335

ES-335

The Peaceable Kingdummy

• Members *
  • 2789 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Dec 18 2004, 09:03 PM)
Since we're all talking about the albums we're not really into, I might as well have a go. I'm not that crazy about Presto. I like The Pass, Show dont Tell, and Available Light but i'm finding it difficult to get into the other ones. I'm trying though. I listen to the album all the time just trying to like it because my favorite band wrote it.

Presto is my least favorite 80s album.  But, I have grown to like it a lot more in the last few years after revisiting it.

#57 Presto45

Presto45

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2554 posts
  • Interests:I love going to Bethany Beach Delaware to Relax whenever i can after a long week at work

Posted 18 December 2004 - 10:49 PM

It is Obvious they will record and Tour again  yes.gif  trink39.gif  

#58 Slim

Slim

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 18 2004, 08:30 PM)
I'm guessing Slim misses the tricky, epic, progressive style they had pre-Signals..

No, not really .. actually I like Power Windows and HYF almost as much as 2112 or Permanent Waves, for example.  I think the time for prog rock epics has long passed, and I'm glad they moved on from that.

#59 Slim

Slim

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (earthbound2112 @ Dec 18 2004, 08:44 PM)
My point is at the top of page 5.

Thanks!  No, I don't think I missed your point, quite honestly.

#60 Cygnus

Cygnus

The Barista of Boobies

• Members *
  • 14662 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:28 AM

I would like to see Neil pull one more epic off just to show this generation how its done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users