Hold Your Fire

DoubleAgent420

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 8 2004, 01:49 PM)
Sorry, everytime I try to give this album a chance it always lets me down. Each song has a cool part, then an annoying part that doesn't fit with the rest of the song. Plus the whole thing sounds horrible and thin. The bass is bouncy and has no guts. Sounds rubbery and not solid or rocking. The guitars are especially thin and brittle. The drums sound ok. The words seem random, and unedited and lack the poignancy of other Rush lyrics. The keyboards reach an all time low and really wreck the whole album for me, with the exception of Force Ten. The performances are good.
This album sounds uninspired and if they were ever going through the motions this would be the time. They had nothing to prove by this time and much of HYF sounds like leftover, less-than-inspired bits from Power Windows. This album made me speculative and weary about Rush releases ever since. Luckily they put out Presto and Counterparts afterwards.

Good post, bro, but I don't think that's going to help Snowdog clear the dust off his copy. laugh.gif

I totally get your perspective, though. I wonder what my reaction to the album would have been if I wasn't discovering them backwards. I didn't listen to this album until 1992. To me, it was awesome from the first listen. But if I were waiting for it as a new release and missing their earlier material, I could very well have hated it.

The two I had the most trouble warming up to was P/G and VT. NOT an issue today.

Edited by paganoman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, Vapor Trails should have been the next logical release after Hold Your Fire.

VT brings forth emotion in me in the way HYF does.

I must confess that I find this attitude towards different albums, whichever they are, difficult to understand. Every album, even the ones I like less than the others, has got something to recommend.

However, the main thing I find difficult is why the sound on HYF is so roundly condemmend while Signals has barely a work said against it. To me, signals is the worst sounding Rush album of all. The sound is muddy and, for want of a better word, gelatinous. Alex's guitars are so far back in the mix that, at times, they seem to be playing as a two piece. The saving grace of the album are the songs which, with a couple of exceptions, are great and really come into their own on stage.

At least you can hear the guitars on HYF.

And personally, I think the sound is crisp as opposed to brittle and I disagree that the album is swamped by the keyboards. That may the fact that I grew up with Gabriel era-Genesis and Tony Banks' keyboards were the driving force more often than the guitars.

That's my opinion anyway. I'm not knocking anyone for their's but I think, on occasion, a sense of perspective is lost.

Rush's music is about diversity, experimentation and taking risks. Perhaps, in some people's ears, they fall further because they aim higher?

I think that on average HYF finds its way to my stereo more often than any other Rush album -and yet it isn't even in my top five when I make a mental ranking in my head! But I do love it, yes, A LOT. When I got it, I certainly didn't expect to be blown away by it, due to all the negativity that is heaped upon it, and sure enough, it did take me at least a week to get into it on a deeper level. I even had some difficulties discerning between the different track at first. Yet I continued listening to it and once again, my patience was richly rewarded; the songs really took on a life of their own.

Layers upon layers of fabulous music, this album is a treasure worth discovering!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 8 2004, 07:52 PM)
CT -----> bd.gif <------ Slaine mac Roth

laugh.gif  wink.gif

Oh sorry, have I disagreed with you and made out that Signals is not the most perfect recording in the world.

I thought I only got that reaction from some Hemispheres fans sarcasm.gif laugh.gif

Edited by Slaine mac Roth

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 8 2004, 02:01 PM)
But if I were waiting for it as a new release and missing their earlier material, I could very well have hated it.

That was EXACTLY the case, Pag. I was on pins and needles waiting for this release. I arrived at the store right as they opened the day it went on sale, bought the cassette (hey, this was 17 years ago wink.gif ) popped it in my deck in my car and was sooooo disappointed. I admittedly was hoping for a return to a "heavier" sound, so all the pretty keyboards sort of disappointed me.

My brother got HYF before me and after he heard it he called me. Bearing in mind we had both spent numerous hours sitting in a room with Power Windows blaring, with the fragrance of Afghanistan pleasurably abundant, his first words about it were, "They sold out". It turned him off Rush completely. For me, because I liked Rush so much I kept giving it a try but generally I just didn't like it. Then I saw them at Wembley. HYF has been one of my faves ever since.

Right on, Chas!

It's funny because, while the band still gives the album positive reviews, they complained that the tour was exceptionally grueling and they stayed sick for a good portion of it.

I just remember the show I attended (Raleigh, January 15, 1988) was just phenomenal and made me love the record even more.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 8 2004, 11:36 PM)
Right on, Chas!

It's funny because, while the band still gives the album positive reviews, they complained that the tour was exceptionally grueling and they stayed sick for a good portion of it.

I just remember the show I attended (Raleigh, January 15, 1988) was just phenomenal and made me love the record even more.

Yeah. That HYF show was my first Rush gig. I went twice that week and one night I sat just behind Howard Ungerlieder on the lighting desk. Watching him control the light show was amazing.

I was supposed to see Rush in Hampton, VA, but the show was cancelled due to an illness in the band. After driving in the rain for two hours, I found this info out just outside the venue.

We were somehow able to trade in our tickets to the Raleigh show which they added to the tour.

1987 2.gif COOL ALBUM!!!....We burn our wings flying to close to the sun..

Time is flying.................

This was my favoite then?I"m listening to it agan!

Nowi know why it was my favoite.. cool.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 8 2004, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 8 2004, 02:01 PM)
But if I were waiting for it as a new release and missing their earlier material, I could very well have hated it.

That was EXACTLY the case, Pag. I was on pins and needles waiting for this release. I arrived at the store right as they opened the day it went on sale, bought the cassette (hey, this was 17 years ago wink.gif ) popped it in my deck in my car and was sooooo disappointed. I admittedly was hoping for a return to a "heavier" sound, so all the pretty keyboards sort of disappointed me.

So the whole thing is a mindset. A failed expectation, and not agreeing with the direction they took moving them even further away from the PeW and MP days.

I can't tell you how to make a connection with this CD, but the key is a connection. For me, I was in my early twenties and was living with a few friends in this HUGE house with an inground pool, and 5 acres of land.... sick! Anyway it was the party house of the century, and we ALL sort of made this connection to Rush at the same time. The house just stared pulsing Rush all day and night. Old... New.... it didn't matter to us. It was ALL new, in a manner of speaking.

I just hope you can detach HYF from the others enough to hear it as a standalone piece of work. It really is great. And dude, I could be so wrong... but it sounds like you're trying to find a "Hemispheres" buried inside of it -- and it ain't gonna happen. laugh.gif But Hold Your Fire IS inside of it, and that's f'ing COOL. 653.gif

And let's think for a moment if the band HAD tried to recreate Hemispheres and the late 70's/early 80's sound over and over again. Does anyone think they'd still be around today? There are only a handful of these legendary bands who have survived the evolution of changing Rock styles and still record today, ESPECIALLY with the same line up. One of the reasons I love Rush and feel they are still chugging along is because they never rely on what they've done in the past. Sure, they take the lessons learned from previous efforts.... but the finished work itself is left for what it was and they move on. That's what makes them so exciting. They have earned the right to not be second guessed - not by me, anyway. If I don't latch on to something new, I know it's my own limitation... certainly not theirs.

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

Doubleagent240, so, so, so good to hear you're in the' HYF is great gang'!!!

I'm a long time member and, until the recent threads, thought I was pretty much alone.

Snowdog, let's us get you into the club. Listen to the bass. Hmmmmm. Enjoy the different moods and feels on the album. Ahhhhh. Dig those lyrics in the 'proper song' Time Stand Still'. Ooooooh

You know you wanna love it....

Disco.

All I can say is, Listen to the lyrics to "Second nature" ....It's one of my favorite Rush songs as far as lyrics are concerned.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 9 2004, 04:13 PM)
All I can say is, Listen to the lyrics to "Second nature" ....It's one of my favorite Rush songs as far as lyrics are concerned.

Today is different and tomorrow the same...

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 9 2004, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 9 2004, 04:13 PM)

Today is different and tomorrow the same...

It ought to be second nature-

I mean, the places where we live!

Let's talk about this sensibly-

We're not insensitive

I know progress has no patience-

But something's got to give

I know you're different-

You know I'm the same

We're both too busy

To be taking the blame

I'd like some changes

But you don't have the time

We can't go on thinking

It's a victimless crime

No one is blameless

But we're all without shame

We fight the fire-

While we're feeding the flames

Glad to hear that you've been turned on to this great album new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif . I think my fondness for HYF stems from sentimental feelings, as this album was released when I was a senior in high school at the apex of becoming a heavy duty Rush fan. I anticipated this album more than any other, and I had a group of Rush-freak friends who also couldn't wait for the release. We gathered to listen to the various 'sneak previews' on the radio, and rushed out to purchase the album on release day. Subsequently we had listening parties cool10.gif , wore the record out and attended the concert. Have loved it ever since 1022.gif

Yeah I was glad to finally warm up to HYF, especially cause it's my birthday album! (I was born in 1987) I've always loved Neil's lyrics, but something about the music in HYF is so...... I dunno...... captivating. All I had to do was give it a chance. cool.gif