Hold Your Fire

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Disco

Disco

Temerity of Squatney

• Members *
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:Being with my wife, son and daughter. Running and cycling.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:50 PM

Doubleagent240, so, so, so good to hear you're in the' HYF is great gang'!!!

I'm a long time member and, until the recent threads,  thought  I was pretty much alone.

Snowdog, let's us get you into the club.  Listen to the bass.  Hmmmmm.  Enjoy the different moods and feels on the album. Ahhhhh.  Dig those lyrics in the 'proper song' Time Stand Still'. Ooooooh

You know you wanna love it....

Disco.

Sponsored Post

#42 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20796 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:51 PM

laugh.gif If you don't like "Hold Your Fire", then you're not a true fan of Rush. cool10.gif  wink.gif  

#43 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
  • Interests:Guitar
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:13 PM

All I can say is, Listen to the lyrics to "Second nature" ....It's one of my favorite Rush songs as far as lyrics are concerned.  

#44 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20796 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 9 2004, 04:13 PM)
All I can say is, Listen to the lyrics to "Second nature" ....It's one of my favorite Rush songs as far as lyrics are concerned.

Today is different and tomorrow the same...

#45 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
  • Interests:Guitar
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 9 2004, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 9 2004, 04:13 PM)

Today is different and tomorrow the same...

It ought to be second nature-
I mean, the places where we live!
Let's talk about this sensibly-
We're not insensitive
I know progress has no patience-
But something's got to give

I know you're different-
You know I'm the same
We're both too busy
To be taking the blame
I'd like some changes
But you don't have the time
We can't go on thinking
It's a victimless crime
No one is blameless
But we're all without shame
We fight the fire-
While we're feeding the flames

#46 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20796 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:17 PM

653.gif  

#47 Bastille Night

Bastille Night

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2407 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:41 PM

Glad to hear that you've been turned on to this great album new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif .  I think my fondness for HYF stems from sentimental feelings, as this album was released when I was a senior in high school at the apex of becoming a heavy duty Rush fan.  I anticipated this album more than any other, and I had a group of Rush-freak friends who also couldn't wait for the release.  We gathered to listen to the various 'sneak previews' on the radio, and rushed out to purchase the album on release day.  Subsequently we had listening parties cool10.gif , wore the record out and attended the concert.  Have loved it ever since 1022.gif

#48 iamtoughtobeat

iamtoughtobeat

The Seeker

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:11 AM

Musically its one of my least favorite but lyrically its one of my favorite. So I guess overall that places it somewhere in the middle. Not sure.    doh.gif  

#49 DoubleAgent420

DoubleAgent420

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Yeah dudes! Uhm well RUSH obviously, music yeah music! I write and record my own music, it's fun I dig it! I also enjoy longboards, I love surfing and I'm kind of in that whole crowd. Muscle cars, girls, having fun...... yeah I'm a fun guy!

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:28 PM

Yeah I was glad to finally warm up to HYF, especially cause it's my birthday album! (I was born in 1987) I've always loved Neil's lyrics, but something about the music in HYF is so...... I dunno...... captivating. All I had to do was give it a chance.  cool.gif  

#50 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:56 AM

As I have said before, I'm a huge fan of HYF.  Lyrically, its got be Open Secrets - that sends shivers down my spine.

#51 Proggy

Proggy

The Seeker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:The usual; music (coupled with air drumming lol), reading (mostly on-line nowadays!) and hitting the gym a couple of times a week...

Posted 12 December 2004 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 12 2004, 03:56 AM)
As I have said before, I'm a huge fan of HYF.  Lyrically, its got be Open Secrets - that sends shivers down my spine.

The music alone on OS has that same effect on me. I always tend to nominate it as my fav song on HYF.

#52 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:30 AM

OS has got to be one of the forgotten classics.

#53 Batman

Batman

The Dark Knight

• Members *
  • 3360 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

HYF has been a favorite of mine it was the first CD I ever owned also was the first RusH concert that I remember going to.

Edited by Batman, 12 December 2004 - 10:01 AM.

#54 A Companion Unobtrusive

A Companion Unobtrusive

The Seeker

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, photography

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:14 AM

Brilliant album, one of the strongest! At first it didn't live up to my high expectations, after Power Windows had blown my mind, but it sure has stood the test of time!

Personal favourites: Time Stand Still, Prime Mover. I have never quite managed to see how Mission can be such a classic for many!? It's a good song, OK, but...I don't know. maybe it's the synth sound in the opening? A 90's sound remake would probably give it more justice..Hey, that's not a bad idea! A remake album! Or have we just paid enough for different versions of Closer to the Heart now?

By the way, I sometimes do a public musical slide show with my photos from the many trips I've made to the biggest street festivals/carnivals around the world. I always close the show with High Water illustrated by slides from the Stockholm Water Festival. A great ending with a very fitting theme: Water and coming home. The end of the song is very effective, accompanying pictures from the fireworks over Stockholm, which always was an esential part of the festival: "Boom boom, The water takes me home...Take me home"...lights out.

The Companion

#55 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20796 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:26 AM

Companion,

"High Water" is definitely a fave of mine. I didn't take to it initially, but over time I found it to be a rather moving song.  

#56 ES-335

ES-335

The Peaceable Kingdummy

• Members *
  • 2789 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:40 PM

HYF was an instant fav of mine the day it was released. I was surprised with the Aimee Mann vocals, but that grew on me.

With that typed, I must confess that it was an 8 track CD for me until a few years ago. I never took the time to get into Tai Shan and high Water. But now, I love them the same.

HYF has some of Neil's most inspiring lyrics, at least IMHO:

"I find no absolution
In my rational point of view
Maybe some things are instinctive
But there's one thing you could do
You could try to understand me --
I could try to understand you..."

"we don't want to be victims
on that we all agree
so we lock up the killer instinct --
and throw away the key..."

" a spirit with a vision
Is a dream with a mission..."

#57 ES-335

ES-335

The Peaceable Kingdummy

• Members *
  • 2789 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:40 PM

For clarification, no, it wasn't a cd that would also play in an 8 track player tongue.gif  

#58 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:48 PM

Such awesome posts on this thread.  It's been so great to read what everyone has had to say.   trink39.gif  

#59 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20796 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:10 PM

How 'bout some MORE!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users