The Weapon

barney_rebel

Discuss.

I thought this was a very different tune. It was a wicked techno sound to it with a neat groove. The lyrics are very powerful. Words like:

He's a little bit afraid of dying

But he's a lot more afraid of your lying

I never get tired of hearing.

How about it has the most AWESOME middle section of any Rush tune, I love it, love it, love it....fantastic soundscape stuff, beautiflul layered sounds and tones, wonderfully controled builds...

For me that middle seciton is top-of-the-shop classic Rush.

Disco

I remember being at Wembley Arena in 1982 on the Signals tour when they played The Weapon - the only part of the Fear trilogy I've heard live - and I loved it.

The Weapon has always been one of my favourite tracks off Signals. Neil's drumming is amazing (no wonder, as he says in the Tour Programme, he was content for a straight 4 beat on the bass drum). Alex's arpeggiated guitar is, by contrast to the poppy/disco beat, quite chilling in a strange way.

All in all, the whole piece has a cold intensity that permeates the song and cuts through the muddy production of the album and raises it to one of the high points.

I can remember taking a month to learn to play the song on the drums. I was so happy I could get through it. Then I saw the show on tape. Neil couldn't let things be so he added a stick flip to the routine. Unbelievable! A scene in the video between Alex and Neil seemed to reinforce my disbelief. I guess that's why I enjoy playing Rush tunes. They just keep getting better

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Dec 8 2004, 05:43 PM)
How about it has the most AWESOME middle section of any Rush tune, I love it, love it, love it....fantastic soundscape stuff, beautiflul layered sounds and tones, wonderfully controled builds...

For me that middle seciton is top-of-the-shop classic Rush.

Disco

I remember back in my 'discovery' days, I was listening this song over, and over, and over. I couldn't get enough of it. I love that middle section too. I think they did the same thing with Afterimage.

When I sat down behind the drums I would try and play it. I was amazed I could, although I never played along to the song itself. I would be during rehearsals with the band and I would just play around with the parts. I think I've played the whole song... collectively. laugh.gif

This is one of the lost treasures that they should pull out for the next tour. Fear as a whole or not, it would still be awesome to hear this one.

HEY BARNEY!! Keep 'em coming!! I love these threads 653.gif

Love the song, the middle section really takes you away from wherever you are. As with Pag, it reminds me with Afterimage. Its obvious they used this idea in the song structure as inspiration for that song. I also love that little bass jam at the end, its so much fun biggrin.gif. I really do wish they would bring this one back into the setlist as well. This is another classic that has fallen between the cracks.

The weapon ... for me, was much more about the lyrics, I love the musicianship as well ... but the lyrics are much more moving for me.

"And the knowledge that they fear

Is a weapon to be used against them..."

QUOTE (daveyt @ Dec 12 2004, 07:53 PM)
if you listen very closely to the opening bass pedal, it echoes like a heartbeat. NeilFinal.gif

It also sounds like "Heart of Glass" by Blondie. rofl3.gif

i like the fact how the end is spontaneous, just like the end of secret touch. another cool thing about the weapon's ending is how perfect it is in it's spontineity AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

secret touch's ending is so spontaneous i hated it when i forst heard it. i was like wtf? but now i am like "i wish it wouldn't end" AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

Archived