MasterEggCream's Impressions of S & A

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Apr 13 2007, 06:59 PM)
In mild defense of the Christians, is it possible that they feel that is exactly what Neil is doing? bolt.gif

Okay, getting into dangerous waters here... unsure.gif

I didn't say it was Christians ramming views down people's throats, I said "some people." Sorry if you took it this way. But I will say that I agree with Neil's comments about how religion is increasingly being used as a "sword" (rather than as "armor") in both the Middle East and the Middle West.

For me, the difference is that Neil is writing lyrics that are put out as entertainment or social commentary. If you don't agree with his songs, you don't have to buy Rush records. What Neil is NOT doing is politically lobbying to bring about federal and state governmental policy changes that would conform to his views.

Folks, we've known Neil's views on religion since... oh... about 1980. sarcasm.gif Did anyone really expect him to be born again or otherwise significantly change his views on religion? I don't see how anyone can be too surprised by these new lyrics, especially as we have known that one of the major themes on S&A would be reflections on faith.

Of course, if I was religous I can see where it could be annoying to hear Neil's lyrics often contradicting my beliefs. Perhaps I would wish that he would just avoid religion, and write about Middle Earth or the Solar Federation, like in the good old days. I might even decide to stop listening to Rush, as I'm sure many have. On the other hand, perhaps I would choose to disagree with Neil, but still respect his work as an artist. Maybe I would decide that there was still room for Rush in my music collection, along with Christian artists or others who shared my personal views.

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 13 2007, 07:32 AM)
Yes, there are guitar solos. Of course, that's an arbitrary term, so you and I might differ on our own interpretations; e.g., do I consider "Far Cry" to have a solo? No.

Overall they're on the brief side, and not every song has one.

I was happy to read the review, but I must say this was my least favorite part, and the part I was looking for the most. sad.gif

I never thought Rush would all but sacrifice guitar solos. For most all of their careers there was almost NEVER a song without a guitar solo. I really SERIOUSLY miss that.

Ah well, I'll have to hear the whole album to see if the material is strong enough to compensate. Far Cry still rocks hard without it, but with it, man, it would have gone from excellent to outstanding...

Now that I've read "THE WHOLE THREAD"...

I don't always agree with Neil's lyrics. I think Ghost of a Chance is a beautiful sounding song, but I find it to be a very depressing view on life, and one I don't adhere to. It's all perception though. I talked with someone in chat once about that song, and they found the lyrics very uplifting. It's going to be a different experience for different people based on thier own beliefs, experiences and perspectives.

Lyrics like:

i still cling to hope

and i believe in love

and that's faith enough for me

I really don't have a problem with them. I don't really agree, it's not enough for ME, but it's still admirable sentiment. I think love is the most powerful force in the universe, so maybe it's just a different way of expressing some of how I see things. Other lyrics that were posted in the above review (which I do appreciate by the way MEC yes.gif ) more jibe with my personal views. It's all good.

I haven't always "agreed" with everything he's said in his lyrics, but it's never been like particularly offensive to me or anything. He's entitled to his opinions and views, and at the minimum he's had fascinating things to say and perspectives, even when I disagree. It generally hasn't effected my enjoyment of the music, and very often I really like and DO agree with things he has to say. The lyrics on Far Cry for example I find to be outstanding, timely, and there are parts of the lyrics that are universal for almost anyone.

Peace,

Gary

I am a self confessed Rush Nut. For me, Rush's music comes first and then the lyrics. It hasn't always been that way for me. I used to really enjoy Neil's lyrics but I think that all came to an end after Power Windows.

After that, they just haven't had the same impact. Perhaps its because I got older and wiser and developed my own opinions and views that didn't mesh with his. I'm not sure. I've really enjoyed some lyrics since then, just not the whole body of work. It seems I will like about 4 or 5 songs (lyrically) per CD.

I imagine I wont be singing along to some of the tunes on this one, and thats ok with me.

Like another person mentioned, I too miss the solos. I agree 100% that if Alex had added a solo to Far Cry that song would have gone from very good to excellent.

I respect that it's his call, his music and my opinion. I wonder why he's decided to move away from them. I don't think of solo guitar breaks as purely formulaic. His solos used to really make songs come alive.

On songs like Dreamline and Bravado, he developed solos for them for the live shows and I prefer those renditions much more than the recorded ones.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! Eventually the cream rises to the top (and the burnt bits stick to the bottom).

That review of "VT" wasn't mine. I always make it a point to use only one exclamation point at a time!

Yes, the brief solos leave me wanting more, but I try to keep in mind that Alex is an artist -- and as such wants to avoid repetition and embrace new ideas and approaches.

Speaking generally now and not only about "S&A": Are some of their songs better than others? Of course. When "RTB" came out I could not listen to "Face Up," and "Ghost of a Chance" was not something I fully embraced at first. And don't even get me started about "Test for Echo" (the song) and "Virtuality."

But could I say that either of these albums was better than the other? I myself cannot.

I try to avoid such comparisons, because to me they're flawed. There are too many variables involved -- the music, the lyrics, the production, when the album was released. So, to me, it's unfair to say one album is better than another.

Of course, what makes it even harder is that I simply love this band. Everything about them appeals to me in myriad ways. And I'm still simply floored that they're still making music -- damn good music at that.

Heard from my friend that Rush is currently in rehearsals.

MEC

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 14 2007, 11:28 AM)
Not to thread jack.....but what's with all the U2 references in the VT review above......

There's a similarity with some of the guitars in Ceiling Unlimited and a U2 song...I think it's I will Follow, but I'm no U2 fan so I'm not sure...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 14 2007, 12:28 PM)
Not to thread jack.....but what's with all the U2 references in the VT review above......

There's a similarity with some of the guitars in Ceiling Unlimited and a U2 song...I think it's I will Follow, but I'm no U2 fan so I'm not sure...

There are 4 songs in that review that have comparisions to U2....that's why I asked. For the record....I hate U2.......no offense to any fans on the board.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 14 2007, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 14 2007, 12:28 PM)

There are 4 songs in that review that have comparisions to U2....that's why I asked. For the record....I hate U2.......no offense to any fans on the board.

Yeah I don't like them either and while I do agree the Ceiling Unlimited riff is somewhat similar to I will Follow, there's no other similarity in the song and definitely nothing else that sounds like U2 on the album.

A lot of people who are pop fans and rush fans as well, like to try and compare Rush to their favourite pop bands, you see it on here all the time. To me though Rush just sound like Rush...

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2007, 02:21 PM) QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 11:02 AM) With all due respect Pedro2112 I would say Peart leaned Libertarian say 15-20 years ago. He said in Roadshow that he is "Left Leaning Libertarian". I don't find a single thing he says these days (especially after moving to very left leaning southern California) that shows him as a Libertarian or a Centrist, nevermind right leaning in any way. He goes out of his way to let everyone know how he has no faith in God, I guess my point is he has become so preachy about it. A subtle reference once in a while was fine, but now he is doing an entire album about it.

I think we get the point Neil. From Freewill to The Big Wheel..I got the point. You do not believe in a ready made faith. 10-4. beathorse.gif

Why do you find an agnostic rock band more objectionable than a Christian rock band?

This album isn't a change of stripes for Rush any more than Slaughterhouse-Five was a change of stripes for the late Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. This is the band finally confronting this spiritual angst head-on. Good on them.

On their own the lyrics are just average poetry...

As Neil says he spends about 1% of his overall time in Rush on the lyrics and they're about 1% important. Yeah they're required, but they're just a means to an end - ie sometihng for Geddy to sing...

This is about the music baby...

1022.gif

I can't remember writing this! :smoke:

• Like 1

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2007, 02:21 PM) QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 11:02 AM) With all due respect Pedro2112 I would say Peart leaned Libertarian say 15-20 years ago. He said in Roadshow that he is "Left Leaning Libertarian". I don't find a single thing he says these days (especially after moving to very left leaning southern California) that shows him as a Libertarian or a Centrist, nevermind right leaning in any way. He goes out of his way to let everyone know how he has no faith in God, I guess my point is he has become so preachy about it. A subtle reference once in a while was fine, but now he is doing an entire album about it.

I think we get the point Neil. From Freewill to The Big Wheel..I got the point. You do not believe in a ready made faith. 10-4. beathorse.gif

Why do you find an agnostic rock band more objectionable than a Christian rock band?

This album isn't a change of stripes for Rush any more than Slaughterhouse-Five was a change of stripes for the late Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. This is the band finally confronting this spiritual angst head-on. Good on them.

As Neil says he spends about 1% of his overall time in Rush on the lyrics and they're about 1% important. Yeah they're required, but they're just a means to an end - ie sometihng for Geddy to sing...

1022.gif

I thought it sounded relatively coherent for you, so you probably didnt. ;)

• Like 1

1022.gif

I thought it sounded relatively coherent for you, so you probably didnt. ;)

:d13:

• Like 1

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Crying back to consciousness

The coldness grips my skin

The sky is pitching violently

Drawn by shrieking winds

Seaspray blurs my vision

Waves roll by so fast

Save my ship of freedom

I'm lashed helpless to the mast

:notworthy:

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 13 2007, 02:29 PM) QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2007, 02:21 PM) QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 11:02 AM) With all due respect Pedro2112 I would say Peart leaned Libertarian say 15-20 years ago. He said in Roadshow that he is "Left Leaning Libertarian". I don't find a single thing he says these days (especially after moving to very left leaning southern California) that shows him as a Libertarian or a Centrist, nevermind right leaning in any way. He goes out of his way to let everyone know how he has no faith in God, I guess my point is he has become so preachy about it. A subtle reference once in a while was fine, but now he is doing an entire album about it.

1022.gif

I would say the lyrics are slightly more important than you think.....they aren't just something thrown together for Geddy to sing........man there are some comments on theis board......unreal.

To those of you who actually believe that the "lyrics" aren't of the utmost importance to Pratt, I salute you for your impeccable comedic talents...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 13 2007, 02:29 PM) QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2007, 02:21 PM) QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 11:02 AM) With all due respect Pedro2112 I would say Peart leaned Libertarian say 15-20 years ago. He said in Roadshow that he is "Left Leaning Libertarian". I don't find a single thing he says these days (especially after moving to very left leaning southern California) that shows him as a Libertarian or a Centrist, nevermind right leaning in any way. He goes out of his way to let everyone know how he has no faith in God, I guess my point is he has become so preachy about it. A subtle reference once in a while was fine, but now he is doing an entire album about it.

1022.gif

I would say the lyrics are slightly more important than you think.....they aren't just something thrown together for Geddy to sing........man there are some comments on theis board......unreal.

To those of you who actually believe that the "lyrics" aren't of the utmost importance to Pratt, I salute you for your impeccable comedic talents...

So many bad Rush lyrics come to mind it's hard not to make a joke but they're definitely more than 1% of the Rush equation. If Rush had kept the lyrical themes of the first album I would not be a fan, even if the music stayed the same

Edited by MalformedEarthborn